Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2018, 07:34 PM   #1

TV Auto program - different TV's find different channels?

Well this is a new one to me.

We checked in today, hooked up the cable and went through our usual routine of programming the tv's and connecting the router, etc.

So the bedroom and front TV's pick up over 100 channels, but the main TV and outdoor only pick up 20. And those stations are fuzzy. Very strange.

The only thing I can think of is maybe the TV's that got less channels need a software update (we have them all set to auto-update) or since the main TV and the outdoor one are in close proximity I was also thinking the splitter for them may be bad and receiving a poor signal?

Thoughts?
Jtrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2018, 07:47 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have the same thing, except it is usually much more pronounced with the over the air from the sensar antenna. With cable, they are usually almost the same. The main and front TV are usually close to the same, but the outside and bedroom only get about 50-80% of the channels the larger TV's get. The 2 larger TV's are a different (nicer) model (all are Sony), so maybe they have better circuitry to pull in weaker channels.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:53 PM   #3

JT, have you checked to be sure the two that only are getting the 20 channels have been switched over to "cable" from "antenna"?
SlaterDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:33 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Swap the TV1 & TV2 antenna connections on the back of the source selector box, and see if the problem swaps tv's. I have a suspicion that the antenna to the front TV may have either a bad connector, or a broken shield ground. If the problem goes from the front TV to the rear, then its not the TV's. It even could be the selector box itself.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 01:05 PM   #5

Still having this problem. The antenna switch is absolutely off (trust me, I have made that mistake before). I can literally auto-program one TV now that picks up 80 channels and go right to another one that will only pick up 17.

Could the splitter be bad? I finally found it mounted to the wall behind the kitchen sink and it is WAY back there. I would rather not have to crawl in there if there are other possible solutions.
Jtrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:30 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Could be a bad splitter or a loose coax connection. On our coach, I also noticed that Newmar had installed splitters with too many ports. That will attenuate the signal to TVs past the splitter. I replaced two of those splitters with the correct ones.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:32 AM   #7

What are the correct splitters? Thanks
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:35 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
In my opinion, the correct splitter is one that does not have excess coax ports OUTPUT. Splitters have different numbers of output ports. Unused output ports can degrade the signal strength to the tvs. In other words, if you have one coax input that you want to split between two tvs, you need a splitter with one input and two outputs to maximize the strength of the signal to the two tvs.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:38 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Also, every splitter you use in a system will degrade the signal. A weak signal will become weaker for tvs past each splitter in a system.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:41 PM   #10

Thanks
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote