Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2017, 03:14 PM   #1

TV Lift??

What would make the TV lift go down while we are watching it? I got it to come back up a few times, but it will not work now. I had to secure the wiring before and it worked fine until now. Could the control be getting hot?
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2017, 07:31 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
That's a great question...

Can you see any identifying names on the controller or motor or lift itself? Wondering if you could reach out to the company that made the lift itself.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:33 PM   #3

I was able to pull up the Corian top of the lift and the reach into for the controller wiring. I pushed the connector and it works again. I think I may have either a bad connector or the wiring into it are not done good enough.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:16 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I bet a quick call to newmar might net you the answer on who's lift is in there. Then a quick chat with them would surely reveal something (i'd hope)
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 06:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
I bet a quick call to newmar might net you the answer on who's lift is in there. Then a quick chat with them would surely reveal something (i'd hope)
I did that at the first time I had issues and they told me the wiring could be loose. I had to remove the sofa to get to the lift controller. It worked great while sitting at home. Maybe the vibration of being on the road is moving the wiring and connector.
Old 09-09-2017, 12:03 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"reubenray"....Can you get a tie wrap on it to secure to itself or a nearby object or cable?
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 03:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"reubenray"....Can you get a tie wrap on it to secure to itself or a nearby object or cable?
I have the wires secured to the wall with a cable clamp. The issue is the wiring into the connector are loose. I need to get a new connector and then redo the wiring.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:53 AM   #8

Our lift has gone nuts again. It goes down whenever it wants to. I even had Tom Johnson work on it and I thought they fixed it. But a few minute ago down it goes. I was able to lift the top, wiggle the connector and it came back up again. I am not going to let Tom Johnson work on it again, being they had my motorhome all day for this issue and an unplugged thermister (sp) wire.

How can I document this repair not being fixed with Newmar?
Old 09-22-2017, 05:26 PM   #9

Probably not the case, but did they check and/or replace the switch on the wall? Maybe it is something in the switch itself.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Lizards View Post
Probably not the case, but did they check and/or replace the switch on the wall? Maybe it is something in the switch itself.
All they did was redo the connector at the controller behind the TV. I did it documented on my paperwork and the service adviser sent Newmar's Warranty Department a note that it has not been repaired. Each time it does it I raise the top and wiggle the two-wire plug in connector. If it is not the connector it could be the controller itself.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:16 AM   #11

My lift went down four times in the past 24 hours. Sometimes I can toggle the switch up and down while the TV is going down and it will stop it. This morning I had to pull up the top and wiggle the wiring. When I get back home I plan on calling Newmar to see if they will send me the switch, control board and connectors where I can redo all of them. My dealer is close to 500 miles away and there are no decent Newmar dealer any closer.

I went to Newgle and it shows two different TV lifts. One has been discontinued. I don't know which one I have.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:03 AM   #12

I haven't (yet) experienced this problem, but will be following what the resolution may be. Our televator is sometime finicky in that it sometimes does not deploy on the first attempt to raise. As to which model of televator you have, Newmar should be able to identify this for you via their "build traveler" (the shop floor work instructions).
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:14 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ray, you say a couple of times that you wiggle the wire to lift controller and lift works again.
Vibration while traveling will loosen up wiring and cause problems through out your coach.
The wire to control spade clip may need to be crimped for tighter connection or the pin it connects to may have a cold solder connection to the controllers printed circuit board, in that case you need a new controller unless you are capable of soldering the pin on printed circuit board yourself.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:19 PM   #14

I get home in a few days. Sometime next week I plan on taking out the sofa again and recheck the connectors in more detail. If Newmar will not send me new connectors I will get them somewhere else and redo them myself.

Usually we will be at a campsite for hours before the lift decides to go down. The last two nights it went down while we were sleeping. I was able to get it back up one time with the switch, but this morning I had to wiggle the wires.