Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2021, 07:20 PM   #1
Hud

Newmar Owners Club
Twintemp Jr. Electric Heater help needed

My coach is a 2009 Allstar 4154 with a Precision Temp Twintemp Jr. hot water & hydronic heating system. My switch labeled "Hot Water" above the passenger seat does not power on the outlet that the 110V heating element on my Twintemp Jr. is plugged into (while plugged into shore power). The heater does work when I plug it into the 110V outlet in the next bay that is used for my vaccum. All my breakers are fine (not tripped). Any ideas? Also, I cannot find anything in any manuals that explain if the electric water heater should work (or if the heater outlet should be powered) when the generator is on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! Hudson
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2021, 07:30 PM   #2

I would check to see if your switch is bad. Also check to see you have power at the switch, if no power there you have to continue up stream.
bhammond1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 06:30 AM   #3

I also have the same unit best to call and talk to Gary@ PT he will guide you thru the process....Make sure you have a volt meter and a way to talk to him while looking at the unit..
Also best to let you know unless you already do that the electric on our units do not work the best and best to use the gas and forget the electric.

I did replace the relay in my fuse box last year for the electric portion of the unit as mine was not working using the switch in the front of the coach by the kitchen and I got the relay from Newmar or around 50 bucks I believe.
Old 01-18-2021, 08:24 PM   #4

Agree that Gary is very helpful. We use the electric heater for hot water to wash dishes and hand washing. For everything else we run the unit on gas.
bhammond1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 08:46 PM   #5
Hud

Newmar Owners Club
I really appreciate all you that have replied to help me! I will definitely do some more diagnosing to find the where the problem is and will check the switch and relay first.

I haven't been using the electric heater to generate hot water for any kind of water usage in the coach as I agree that it isn't that efficient. I found the problem out when I turned the electric heater on the other day when the temperature was dropping to well below freezing for the night and found the outlet dead. I just wanted to have some heat in the TwinTemp without using gas (my gas was almost out and I figured that turning on the elecrtic heater would safegaurd any problems with the freezing temps for a couple of days). My "fix" was to run a short extension cord from the vacuum outlet located in the next bay over to the heater.

I really hate winterizing my coach when I use the coach frequently even in the winter and temps don't fall below freezing that often where I live.
I also put a small heater inside the coach as well and a small ceramic infrared heat emitter in my wet bay to safe gaurd that bay (when temps go below freezing) even though there is a small heater near the water tank in that bay (I'm not sure when it even comes on or if it even works - another topic I suppose...). You guys might have advice on my methods to safegaurd my coach when temps drop below freezing also.

Thank you all again! Hudson
Old 01-30-2021, 06:46 AM   #6

Before I got my relay I removed it and just wired to the breaker dedicated to the heater and used the breaker switch to turn on and off the water heater..
Hud I also had to replace my pump this past summer and few years ago I did have to replace a temp sensor also...

Tags
electric, heat, heater