Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2021, 06:43 PM   #1

Two air conditioner shrouds blew off

Today in Southern Illinois I was traveling due west with a stiff south wind of 17mph gusting to 30mph or more. Driving with the tag and comfort drive made it fairly easy. However, I see in my mirror two black air conditioner shrouds go flying from the roof of the coach. Of course with that goes the two styrofoam upper evaporator housing blowing off the roof as well.

I was just up on the roof less than two weeks ago and removed all three air conditioner shrouds to tighten the hold down bolts so I know the all my 2 1/2 year old shrouds were in good shape. I screwed the shrouds back on and used loctite on the screws.

So, they still blew off. The one remaining cover is distorted out of shape from the wind getting underneath it and basically trying to blow it up like a balloon. It held on but, I am now stuck in a small town in IA where I can’t get overnight delivery on the shrouds and styrofoam housing due to package size. Dometic says not to drive with the shrouds off and do not let rain get into the circuit boards. Amazon has the shrouds and they claim they will be here by Wednesday. The styrofoam evaporator housing is only available from WA state and I don’t have a ship date on that yet. Going to buy some tarps to cover the open air conditioners and wait it out.
What I think happened. The wind was funneled underneath the awning rails and was of enough force trying to expand the covers that they eventually gave way.
ThunderRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2021, 06:54 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Odd, I've driven in much higher winds (lost the patio awning), but no issues with the Dometic Duo-therm HP covers !
Old 04-26-2021, 07:28 PM   #3

I don’t disagree. I had the covers on my Holiday Rambler Ambassador for seventeen years and never lost one. The covers lifted right off the hold down screws. There’s still pieces of the cover underneath the screws. When I looked at the one remaining cover I see that Dometic makes a rather large hole for the screw causing a lot of slop and very little surface area to grab.
I redrilled the remaining cover with new holes and the exact fit for the screws so there is more surface area for the screws to grab onto.
Old 04-26-2021, 07:31 PM   #4

How fast were you driving?
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 07:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile Marker 42 View Post
How fast were you driving?
65mph
Old 04-26-2021, 07:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRidge View Post
65mph
Very strange. Wind is not your friend unless it's a tail wind. I'd install your new covers with serrated washers that dig into the plastic. Sorry for your loss.
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 07:58 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Is it possible you overtightened the screws and cracked the plastic?
Old 04-26-2021, 08:02 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Having had issues with covers in the past, I always add a rubber backed washer to shrouds when I reinstall the screws. I know this doesn't help you now, but for future reference.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 08:17 PM   #9

I had one blow off while parked at a truck stop in Iowa. Parked on a slope and the wind must have caught it just right. Another one was cracked.
enjoyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 08:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Having had issues with covers in the past, I always add a rubber backed washer to shrouds when I reinstall the screws. I know this doesn't help you now, but for future reference.
Thanks Don. I will definitely add the rubber backed washers. I know I did not over tighten the screws as a technician friend warned me about that many years ago when I was removing shrouds to do maintenance on the fins.

It is just very strange to see the remaining cover and how it is expanded. It has to be from the wind constantly applying pressure underneath the cover. Two of the holes on the remaining cover were cracked and I imagine I would have lost that one as well had I gone much further.

When I spoke with Dometic they didn’t seem all that surprised. At less than three years old and stored inside I was surprised that the covers could be that deteriorated if that was the case.
Old 04-26-2021, 08:50 PM   #11

Some types of locktite eats / melts plastic. Lots of Keystone trailers have lost their fenders after owners used loctite.
Choclabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 12:54 AM   #12

Bet the loctite destroyed the plastic:

https://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs...e-eats-plastic
Old 04-27-2021, 03:48 AM   #13

https://www.robotshop.com/community/...ge-lexan/15577
Old 04-27-2021, 06:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choclabs View Post
Some types of locktite eats / melts plastic. Lots of Keystone trailers have lost their fenders after owners used loctite.
I just looked and saw on the package not to be used on plastic. I took that to mean that it would not work on plastic. It doesn’t state that it would eat, weaken or dissolve plastic. I know that some may have dripped on the plastic. A tech at Lazydays told me to use the loctite. It’s been about six months so that potentially could have been the problem. If so, it’s been a very expensive lesson as the covers run $140 and $60 apiece for the styrofoam evaporator covers. Plus shipping and extra camping fees as well as being stuck until all the parts arrive.

I will go with Dutch Star Don’s recommendation of rubber backed washers. And, as long as I need new covers I am getting rid of the black plastic shrouds and changing to white to help reflect the sun’s heat away from the inner workings. Can’t see what color shrouds are installed with the side rails.

Tags
air, air conditioner