Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2021, 10:12 AM   #1

Two Air Conditioners

For those with a 40' do you find that two 15K air conditioners are adequate in 90+ degrees? We are leaning toward a 40' but third AC in the 43' is very appealing.
Pavetack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2021, 11:05 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavetack View Post
For those with a 40' do you find that two 15K air conditioners are adequate in 90+ degrees? We are leaning toward a 40' but third AC in the 43' is very appealing.
I find that my two 15 works well in hot weather, but you need to know when to start cooling, if you fall behind you done ( we like the cool nights so we turn off the AC) also for long periods of over 90 I don’t think it can cut, I wish I could have three on my 40’

Zzotte
Old 02-07-2021, 11:13 AM   #3
Community Moderator

I almost never use all three in my 43’

I really wanted three however for the redundancy. If you only have two, and lose one, you are in trouble.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 11:13 AM   #4

I have a forty foot coach with 3 units. Most of the time 2 would be adequate but in extreme temps 3 is the way to go.
wjohnson913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 11:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavetack View Post
85-90% of the time you will probably be ok with 2 A/C units. However, if you get into some really hot weather- 90+ with the coach in the direct sun, you'll wish & need 3 units. Remember- 3 X 15,000 Btu each = 45,000 Btu divided by 24,000 Btu/ton = 1.875 ton of A/C. That's just a little above adequate for ~ 640 sq.ft & 4,480 cubic feet of air in high temperature - direct sunlight conditions in a minimally insulated structure.

Be safe & go with 3 units- you won't regret it!

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 11:44 AM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
This is one of my pet peeves with Newmar and their two A/C policy! I would like to make the executives hold a four hour meeting inside a 40' coach in 105 degree weather. I think they might change their mind about what's needed. The Allegro Bus has three A/C's!

Out west and especially on a travel day, two A/C's will struggle to get the coach down to high 70's. My two A/C's only work when we're parked, have everything closed up and start them early in the morning. If it's over 100, you'll only stay cool if you don't move around inside the coach.

Now before someone says theirs works great, you need to know what they think is great. To me, great would the ability to get the coach down to 70-71 degrees in about an hour at any time in the day. A temp that makes my wife put her sweatshirt on would also be acceptable.

I'm guessing those that have three A/C's and say they can get by with two most of the time, have the ability to run all three until the coach is cooled down and switch to just two, or maybe only have two cycling on at once.

Think about it.....the 43' coaches are only 3' longer, yet are getting 50% more air conditioner size. If the 40's don't need three A/C's, why does the 40' Mountain Air come with three A/C's.

One of the issues, is that a larger generator is technically needed to run three A/C's. I would have been willing to acknowledge or sign a waiver that they would install three A/C's on a 40' with an 8K generator and only wire two A/C's to the generator. This could easily be a build special. sometimes they can't get out of their own way to resolve an issue.

Okay....did that sound like a rant??
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 04:01 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with Don. Three 15K BTU A/C's are necessary in the southwest. Our coach is 42' and we can get by on two if the temp is 90 or below, the humidity is low, and we are parked in the shade. If any of the parameters are above that, we use all three.

The worst situation is to be traveling in 110 degree heat with bright sunlight and then arrive at an RV campground in the afternoon. The big engine has heated up the bedroom and the big windshield heats up the front area. It takes all three A/C units to cool down and even then it will not get nice until dark.

A side note to the OP. I used to fly with Pave Tack back in the day. We (F-111) were the only ones that could self designate.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 06:08 PM   #8

Don is spot on. I have mentioned before I tried to get Newmar to install a 3rd A/C as a special, but no go. We spend a fair amount of time in the So Ca desert and 2 15K units are not adequate when temps exceed 100. Labor day weekend last year reached 118 for 2 days. Coach facing north so no sun on the windshield, Magna shades on drivers and Passenger side windows, window and Girard Nova awnings deployed. The temps inside reached 88 with both A/Cs running constantly.

While I agree Newmar insulation is better than most, 2 A/Cs are not adequate for a 40' coach if your spend any amount of time where temperatures exceed 100 degrees
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 06:24 PM   #9

Foretravel Owners Club
Go with 3..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 06:38 PM   #10

If you spend time in the south in the Summer, there is no such thing as too much A/C.
GWBGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 07:19 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Three AC's is one of the reasons we went with the Mountain Aire 4018 over the Dutch Star 4018...
M&G Braking-Roadmaster Towbar
mbrooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 07:35 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Have had a 39' coach with two and now a 40 Phaeton with three (standard on the 40 Phaeton). Like said, most of the time two is adequate but on an extremely hot day the third is nice to keep the others from running full time. And it's nice to have the third for a backup in case you lose one.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 10:21 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Two Air Conditioners

I’m always puzzled by these threads. I have noticed, though, that a number of those who decry the use of only two a/c units on a 40 ft coach seem to imply by some remark or other that they actually turn the system off at night, or don’t keep the units running while traveling, or some other operating method that allows the coach to become heat soaked. And then express disdain when it takes the system several hours to expel all that heat and humidity that they themselves let in!
It is far, far easier to KEEP the coach cool than it is to MAKE the coach cool. If you’re in a hot place, or heading for one, turn the system on and let it run!
I mentioned my puzzlement (above) because we only have two units in our 02 DS, but we stayed the last two summers in central Texas, with damn near every day from mid May to mid-Sept over 95*, and the majority of them over 100*. Thermostats set at 70 and the system never got shut off. Just the normal cycling, and we were nice and comfy, temp held at 70-72 by my infrared gun. Ceiling temp near the return register was ~79*, and the output air temp was ~ 50-53*. Is it possible the older Newmar’s were better insulated than the new?
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 05:59 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Unfortunately, in my 2002 Dutch Star with two 15,000 BTU Penguins and with all windows blocked from the sun, especially the windshield, in 95 degree Temps that coach would never hold 72 degrees. If the air return is 79 then the air in the coach overall is 79 degrees. It might show cooler near the cold air ducts of course, but the body of the coach using temp gun showed otherwise. We live in Florida and early morning or later in the day when the sun went down would be the only time we'd see steady mid 70 Temps.

Also ac's are on 100 percent of the time, from when we startup the coach until we park it when we're done with our trip and back home. Coach came with 13,5's but I changed them both out with the 15's.
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, air conditioner