RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2016, 03:51 PM   #1

Two to three step DS conversion

Has anyone converted their two step to a three step. My unit is a the LCI unit which was recalled. If you have done this, what model Kwikee did you install? Are the electrical plugs the same as the LCI model?

wlw209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2016, 09:53 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is a post from another thread where the owner had a mechanical problem.
The post will show how to get into COM_NET and find all the info about step.
You may have a problem the cut out for two step may not be large enough for three step.
I would call Newmar service and see what they say and find out what you would need for controls.
Using your coach year may not give you the step info.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 04:34 PM   #3

I have the current model number. (Re: that is why I know the recall) The spec on the original shows the width matches many of the Kwikee steps. Just wanted to know if anyone has done the switch.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:10 PM   #4

I'm interested as well. I wasn't aware it was even option and thought I'd have to cough up the extra dough on the MA in order to get them! Unfortunately that was way out of my budget so if I can get this now as an option on the DS we'd have the perfect coach for our family! Does anyone know if it can be ordered as a complete kit? I tried searching the com_net site and could not identify any parts that pertained to the three step product.
RVOF5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 07:22 AM   #5

The steps bolt in with four bolts and three electrical plugs. I am trying to see if the kwikee connectors the same as original Carlson unit. The width and drop are the only real constraints since the cutout is open on my DS. I will talk to factory as my steps were recalled. They offer a number of replacement options.
Old 12-31-2016, 07:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlw209 View Post
I have the current model number. (Re: that is why I know the recall) The spec on the original shows the width matches many of the Kwikee steps. Just wanted to know if anyone has done the switch.
Can't give a direct answer on switching to the 3 step conversion, but will say that as part of the recall, I took the $200 discount option and bought the 2 step Kwikkee version.

Not knowing how much you have researched the the conversion, I can say that the 4 hole bolt pattern will be different and you will have to change out the magnetic switch from the (Coach Step) normally closed to the (Kwikee) normally open circuit. I ordered everything from LCI.
lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 11:14 AM   #7

Was the $200 option off wholesale price directly from LCI? Did they give you the 1/2 hour labor allotment?
Old 12-31-2016, 04:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlw209 View Post
Was the $200 option off wholesale price directly from LCI? Did they give you the 1/2 hour labor allotment?
Bill, let me expand on my post. If you have the steps that are part of the recall, you will need to contact LCI directly and get a case number which will give you the option of getting the new -free- bracket mounting or receive a $200 credit off of the Kwikee step dealer cost. The catch is that due to liability, LCI will not give either one directly to you. You must use a dealer for purchase/installation. At this point you will be at the mercy of the dealer.

Since I was already having some AC work being performed on my Ventana, the mobile mech. ordered my steps for me and didn't hit me for charges. He accepted the 1/2 hour of labor as his profit.

My 2 step Kwikee cost $350 plus $132 shipping - ouch. So if you know someone in the business thats the way to go.

I just returned from a short trip and after leveling, my (2) step was so close to the ground that I couldn't imagine what would have happened if I had the 3 step setup. Would it have stayed down or close back up after sensing resistance?
lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 06:24 AM   #9

Thank you for the insight. I have a dealer who will work with me on this, but it is hardly worth the cost. Camping world must be selling the steps at wholesale given the price LCI gave you. I need the third step about 1/2 the time depending on the site we are put into. I may just get the "patch" bracket and install. I can build a platform step to use when needed.