RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2015, 11:21 AM   #1

Tyron?

Anybody using the Tyron system or have experience with it? I know if it works as claimed, it is probably worth the 2k to get it installed, but wonder if the probability of a "blowout" is really there if one keeps proper inflation and tire inspection.

Proverbs 3: 5-6
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2015, 12:25 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Proper inspection and tire inflation is important, just as it is to know what to do in case of a front tire blowout. Here's a video that's been circulated around several times, but for any newbies that aren't aware of what to do, this is very informative:

Zoey and Shelby (Pembroke Welsh Corgis)
tomakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 12:35 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Guess my coach maybe came with them. Didn't know it until I put tires on it and the tire shop found them. Researched them and think they are a good idea, however, if mine didn't already have them I don't know if I would spend that amount of money to add them. Not saying it's a bad idea, but I seem to find plenty of other things that need money spent on them instead. Randy
Old 11-27-2015, 12:47 PM   #4

We had the system on our KGDB but fortunately never needed to use it. The videos on their web site are pretty compelling, but then they have their detractors too. I heard some chatter about there being an increase in wheel temp but I'm not sure how that would happen, so I would investigate thoroughly before purchasing. There is also a special tool used to remove them for flat repair, tire change, so you would probably want to get that as well. I've been in RV salvage yards and have seen what happens when one of these busses go on their side so any legitimate device that helps avoid that would be worth looking in to.
Old 11-27-2015, 12:56 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I will give you my perspective. First, the Tyron system does not prevent flats. The ONLY thing it does is prevent the tire from coming off the rim.

How it works.....Every rim has a well in the center so that tire bead can fall into that well during mounting. If you didn't have the well, it would be almost to stretch the tires on the rim and allow them to seat.

During a blow out, where you may have to drive for a period of time before pulling over, two things can happen. First, the tire bead can drop into the well on the rim and start wobbling dramatically. Second, the bead can drop into that well and actually roll off of the rim, leaving you driving on the rim only.

The Tyron units cover that well in the rim. The tire dealer installs your tire, but before adding air, they push down one side of the tire and slip the Tyron band inside the tire. They fit the ring around that center well of the rim and bolt it into place. Once the Tyron band is in place, the tire can no longer be removed from the rim, until the band is removed. They inflate your tire and then reinstall on the coach.

With the Tyron band in place, you can drive the coach on a flat tire until nothing is left but the sidewalls/beads. Their sales point is that the tire will remain on the coach and can run until it's totally disintegrated, without coming off of the rim.

History.....The Tyron band was developed in England and was initially installed on all military vehicles. They eventually brought the product to the U.S. and started their marketing on the west coast. They started by pushing sales to law enforcement agencies. The very first demonstration was done near Dodger Stadium in a large fire department parking lot. An explosive charge was attached to the front tire sidewall of a four door family sedan (Volvo). The owner then accelerated to about 70 mph and the tire was blown while the car passed in front of the news cameras. The owner then drove like a maniac for another five minutes showing the car could still be maneuvered with a flat tire and that the tire would not come off of the rim.

I was currently working for the L.A. County Sheriff's Department and our vehicle testing unit ran it's own tests on the Tyron bands. (It should be noted that the L.A. County Sheriff tests many makes and models of vehicles for police use each year and their findings are used by agencies all over the country for purchase of vehicles.)

The Sheriff's Department bought a large supply of the Tyron bands and installed them on specific vehicles where they felt they would be the most effective. Eventually, after about 2-3 years, they made it just too hard to mount and dismount tires and were discarded. Keep in mind though, a radio car can go through 0-5 tires a month.

Personally, I wouldn't spend the money for the Tyron bands. I fell that I can stop my RV in a reasonable distance and would never drive on a flat tire. I know others feel a sense of security with the Tyron bands and are willing to spend the money. It's a personal choice.

Lastly, my qualifications for the above information......I was the guy setting up the explosive charges on the tires. I would grind the sidewall of the tires that were used, to a near blowout condition, and then attach a military blasting cap with a couple of large tire patches.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 03:04 PM   #6

Thank you Don for the informative opinion, and tomakat for the link. I really appreciate the opinions on this forum from people who have much more knowledge of RV-ing than I have. I believe that I could control the coach well enough in the event of a blowout (of course a catastrophic tire failure presents challenges that I have never seen). Over the 50 years or so that I have been driving, I've never encountered a situation where I felt out of control. The other issue is the un sprung weight involved and possible heat dissipation issues. Think I'll pass in view of the problems with replacing a tire.
Proverbs 3: 5-6
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 03:42 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
We purchased them when we ordered our new coach in 2013. I'm glad they are on there. We never really think about them being on there. They have not created any issues in 18,000 miles. Not entirely sure I'd buy them again. But if I ever have to deal with a front blowout while cruising down the highway I Hope they'll help me get through a difficult situation. I've been driving for about 50 years and have never had an issue controlling my vehicles. But I'm 50 years older than I was when I first started driving and while that that makes 50 years of experience it also means everything is fifty years older than it was back then.
It becomes a personal choice. In our case the DW likes to drive also. And while she is a good driver I feel better about the whole thing with the Tryons on the coach.
Safe travels.
Old 11-28-2015, 12:38 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
A friend of ours had a front tire blowout on his coach last year. Although he could bring it to s safe stop, the disintegrating tire coming off the wheel caused about $30k damage and rendered the coach unusable for months.
A Tyron band probably would have reduced the damage.
It is like any other insurance. You hope you never have to find out if it works. it is true that it makes tire installation more difficult, but I had new tires installed without using special tools.

2015 DSDP 4369 with HWH Active Air, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster tow bar, SMI AirForce One, Silverleaf VMSPc
andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 12:27 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Keep in mind, the Tyron will not keep the tire from disintegrating. The tire will still come apart and flap in the wheel well often causing damage. The Tyron bands only keep what's left of the tire (beads and sidewall) from coming off of the rim.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 12:30 AM   #10

Perhaps someone can add some insight into the Tyron pricing model. I priced a set of 2 about a year ago and was quoted about $2k. I went to the Tyron UK website and the home page gives an approximate cost
4 Wheel Motorhome – 4 x Tyron Bands - £300.00 Extra wheel £70.00
6 Wheel Motorhome – 6 x Tyron Bands - £420.00 Extra wheel £70.00

This translates to about $100 a piece vs $1000 that I was quoted. I certainly am onside with making a profit but this differential seems extreme.
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:52 AM   #11

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
ok I got a different take on them. they were installed on my coach when I bought it. the front passenger band started slipping on the rim, I didn't know what was going on at the time it happened ( we were coming home from VA. and had about 60 miles to go ) so we limped in. short story, front end aliment (2) new front tires one new rim and bands were removed. the bands are still on rear tires, when these tires need replacing bands will come out.
kimbo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:12 PM   #12

Had a blow out in Missouri 2 months ago on a 4 lane doing 71 mph, tires were 4years 6 months old, 36,000 miles. Never had a tire issue. Left front tire blew in left lane and told wife to hold on, motor home drove perfect, light touch on brakes after I was at 60 mph, still good control, got in left lane and pulled to side of road, no wheel or motor home damage. I will always have Tyron. Took 5 days to find a new tire, from 800 miles away, ouch.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:11 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Noam did a slipping Tyron band cause wheel alignment issues and tire damage?

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

2015 DSDP 4369 with HWH Active Air, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster tow bar, SMI AirForce One, Silverleaf VMSPc
andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:14 AM   #14

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
not noam but yes ! tire damage, alignment and ream

kimbo is online now   Reply With Quote