Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2016, 09:26 AM   #1

Tyron Safety Bands

We're about to pick up our new Canyon Star and the dealer is pushing Tyron Safety Bands for the front 2 wheels. They're not cheap!

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
specmga1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2016, 10:11 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Never heard of it.......if the dealer is pushing it, it's mega $ snake oil !
Just my humble opinion.
Siggy
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:16 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Definitely NOT snake oil.

Goto the Tyron Band website and read for yourself.

Come to your own conclusions as to whether you want to spend the money or not.

I highly recommend them and can put you in touch with a person who had a front steer tire blow out with them on the wheels. I don't believe he is a member here.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:47 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
If a dealer is trying to sell you something at the time of delivery you have to ask yourself why didn't he bring this up before I needed to make a quick decision?
tdelisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:31 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just keep your tires inflated to proper pressure. Most blowouts occur because of under inflation.

Watch this video from Michelin about how to handle a catastrophic tire failure:

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottish Terrier)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad
Remco Lube Pump
5 Star Tune
Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C
Coach Net Emergency Road Service
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:43 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Use the search feature near the top, type in tyron and you will get several threads where these have been discussed at length, here's an example

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/ok-t...ds-231197.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/fron...on-132377.html

I've never used them therefore can offer no opinion. I think you will find some that have in the threads listed above.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 06:08 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I agree with Dr4film we have them on our MA and after looking at the Web site and having friends that are still around because they had them only thing that saved them
snickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 06:21 PM   #8

We got 'em after someone told me about them on our first trip in the new coach. I did the research and knew that I would have a lot more peace of mind with them. They're kind of like "run flats" for your tires. If you get a blowout, the bands significantly reduce tire shredding by the rim and allow you to travel, at low speeds, to nearby help.

They aren't cheap. It was around $2200 for both of them, installed. Well, well worth it IMHO. Safety first.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:33 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I had previously posted the wrong web site for Tyron Bands. I had posted the Euopean web site instead of the USA Tyron web site.

Here is the correct web site.

http://www.tyron-usa.com/

They have installed the bands on over 17,000 Class A RV's and there are videos to see them in action.

There are also videos showing different installations.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 06-21-2016, 12:18 PM   #10

I have them mounted on my front tires. I will not repeat the positive comments mentioned earlier but I will say this: Look at the Tyron Safety Bands as in insurance. If you have a blow out on one of your front tires, you may lose control on your motorhome and you may get seriously hurt if not killed not to mention thousands of dollars in damages to the front cap, under body/undercarriage just resulting from the blow out tire.
The Tyron Safety Band will allow you to retain control of your motorhome by preventing the blow out tire from falling into the wheel well and will keep the tire between the wheel rim and the road.

You should consider buying the Tyron Safety Band Removal Kit (approx $150.00). Unless the Mobile Tire Repair Truck as the Tyron Removal Eqpt (which is very rare outside CA), it is almost impossible to remove the tire as removal of the tire requires unobstructed access to the wheel well as the safety band covers the well. In order to gain access to the lock mechanism of the safety band, you need that kit to compress the tire. You do not want the tech to cut the band or the lock in order to remove the tire.

I would suggest that you shop around on the internet. There is a set of Tyron Safety Bands advertised for $1250 on IRV2 Classified.

Gaetan
Old 06-21-2016, 12:38 PM   #11

You here worry way too much about too many things, I have been Transporting Heavy Equipment since 1980 (self employed) Excavators, Dozers Etc. I constantly have 22,000 on my front axle 47,000 on my drives and anywhere from 60,000 to 65,000 on each Jeep, Trailer and booster groups I have never had a blow out on the Steer Tires or Drives, I do Not use a TPMS, all the tires get bumped and looked at every day, why would you spend that kind of $$ on something you do not need, the person up top was correct "Snake Oil"
Old 06-21-2016, 02:58 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post

You here worry way too much about too many things, I have been Transporting Heavy Equipment since 1980 (self employed) Excavators, Dozers Etc. I constantly have 22,000 on my front axle 47,000 on my drives and anywhere from 60,000 to 65,000 on each Jeep, Trailer and booster groups I have never had a blow out on the Steer Tires or Drives, I do Not use a TPMS, all the tires get bumped and looked at every day, why would you spend that kind of $$ on something you do not need, the person up top was correct "Snake Oil"
Well, let's see what you have to say AFTER reading THIS thread where a member here, LisaBlue85, had a front tire blowout 6 months after purchasing their second hand motorcoach. It may have even been their first vacation trip out with the coach since bringing it home. Make sure you read the thread far enough to see the photos of the damage. BTW, the coach was totaled.

There are plenty more threads and posts from MANY people plus some ended up much worse where people have died from a front tire blowout.

However, I especially take offense to the fact that you are making it sound like since it has never happened to you it will never happen to anyone. Not true as it has happened to many right here on iRV2.com. All you have to do is spend a few moments to search for Front Tire Blow-out. I personally know a dozen coach owners or more that have had front steer tire blow-outs and one coach owner that had the Tyron Bands on when their steer tire collapsed.

Plus I also take offense to calling the Tyron Bands "snake oil" which they are definitely not. Obviously you have not done any reading or research on the product and do not know what you are talking about.

However, you are entitled to your own opinions and can do whatever you so choose with your coach. It's your money, your coach and your life.

BTW, keep thumping those tires. That proven technology is far better than any TPMS.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 06-21-2016, 03:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Well, let's see what you have to say AFTER reading THIS thread where a member here, LisaBlue85, had a front tire blowout 6 months after purchasing their second hand motorcoach. It may have even been their first vacation trip out with the coach since bringing it home. Make sure you read the thread far enough to see the photos of the damage. BTW, the coach was totaled.

There are plenty more threads and posts from MANY people plus some ended up much worse where people have died from a front tire blowout.

However, I especially take offense to the fact that you are making it sound like since it has never happened to you it will never happen to anyone. Not true as it has happened to many right here on iRV2.com. All you have to do is spend a few moments to search for Front Tire Blow-out. I personally know a dozen coach owners or more that have had front steer tire blow-outs and one coach owner that had the Tyron Bands on when their steer tire collapsed.

Plus I also take offense to calling the Tyron Bands "snake oil" which they are definitely not. Obviously you have not done any reading or research on the product and do not know what you are talking about.

However, you are entitled to your own opinions and can do whatever you so choose with your coach. It's your money, your coach and your life.

BTW, keep thumping those tires. That proven technology is far better than any TPMS.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
I read a lot now days about weak people getting "Offended", Thank you for your permission to keep "thumping" (forgot inspecting) my Tires, it has worked for many years before the TPMS snake oil was invented (which BTW will not prevent a "blow out") I NEVER STATED that anyone has never had a blow out nor did I say "Tyron Bands" were snake oil (high lite it in my post) so don't put words in my mouth, what are the odds of "Blowing" a front tire if proper Maintenance is kept on them?, do you have a "Engine" shut down if you loose the Oil or Coolant?...better look into that!
Old 06-21-2016, 03:36 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
First off, if the Finance Department is pushing them, then regardless of any value they have as a safety device, you are getting taken advantage of. Most likely 4-5 times over the actual value for an aftermarket gadget.

Research the forums. I found where people had blowouts and had wait for the shop to get a dismount tool shipped to them, and then only to find out they never installed them to begin with .

I waived the honor of being blessed with them for a mere 4 or so thousand dollars, only to find the key wrench for them in my factory manual bag. That means they sold them to the original owner, and I would have never known the difference. Now I'm concerned that if I do have a flat, nobody will be able to dismount the tire unless they happen to have the dismount ring!

No better persuasive propaganda than death and destruction of you and your family. It is common technique for snake oil salesmen !
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety