Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2021, 09:32 AM   #1

Underbelly deterioration on 2013 Mountain Aire

Under my coach it is sealed with what appears as thin aluminum. Seemed as if road rock and salt was eating it up. I sprayed rubber sealant and used the coach. I now have 3 compartment areas that are sagging down about 4-5 inches. They are about 5 feet in front of tandem wheels. I now have no idea what to do. I thought about removing what’s there and putting some galvanized metal over area and screwing it to the metal areas. Any ideas and do others have a similar pro
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2021, 10:07 AM   #2
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Be certain that water is not accumulating on top of that pan that encloses the frame. Water that gets through the seams, water that enters from the wheel wells into the bays above, water from line leaks or frame seal water leaks can accumulate in those pans. The water and dampness can then cause your frame above the pans to rust.

The pans can be removed and replaced if necessary. The frame can be repainted and the insulation inside can be replaced. It is not a small job.
Old 01-09-2021, 10:24 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Post up some Pics so we can get a better look at what's happening
Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 10:38 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delacroix View Post
Under my coach it is sealed with what appears as thin aluminum. Seemed as if road rock and salt was eating it up. I sprayed rubber sealant and used the coach. I now have 3 compartment areas that are sagging down about 4-5 inches. They are about 5 feet in front of tandem wheels. I now have no idea what to do. I thought about removing what’s there and putting some galvanized metal over area and screwing it to the metal areas. Any ideas and do others have a similar pro
Same thing happened with my 2011 MADP. I put galvanized metal and sheet metal screws to existing frame work and then put a run of 1" box tubing midway of panel to support the weight of the fresh water and waste tanks above it. Do note that I had to get 1" plywood and a floor jack to get the compartment back to proper height!
Old 01-09-2021, 06:40 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a travel friend who has a 2013 MA. He just finished removing the floor under the fresh water tank and replacing everything. His was leaking from the rear passenger wheel well. Where the sheetmetal goes behind the angle brace.
Old 01-09-2021, 07:45 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
OH, You mean this problem?

I purchased a 2011 Essex from a couple that lived in Tampa this last August. After a pre-purchase inspection by a certified inspector and getting the coach home I also discovered a sagging floor that had been supported with a piece of lumber. I took these pictures today, 1/9/21. I'm in the process of fixing the complete wet bay. I removed the floor yesterday and some of the particle board from the back wall, the wall that is next to the drive wheels, and this is what I found. You can see that is severe aluminum failure of the back skin that allowed water intrusion into the wet bay. The wood layer of the floor, also particle board, was all removed just using my hands it was so rotten. I’m documenting the repair and will post a complete write up when complete. My suggestion to all who travel along the coastal area with a salt environment, repair early and you can save the supports making the repair a little easier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	314015   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	314016  

Old 01-09-2021, 07:52 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Looks like much of the initial corrosion occurred from electrolysis between the steel and aluminum sheet. Not a very smart idea by the manufacturer
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 08:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerman View Post
Looks like much of the initial corrosion occurred from electrolysis between the steel and aluminum sheet. Not a very smart idea by the manufacturer
As a long time boater my vote is electrolysis.
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 08:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerman View Post

I don't think there's any doubt it's electrolysis, it stops just above the steel. Steel + aluminum + water = electrolysis, every time, and you don't need much if any water.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 06:51 AM   #10

and accelerant : salt
#10050 GVWR, #18500 GCWR Smoke that!
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 07:21 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Firedog3722 coach issue looks just like my friend 2013 Mountain Aire. Lots of work to fix
Old 01-10-2021, 11:08 AM   #12

I have the same problem with my 98 American Eagle. Yours is not as bad. Looks like your steel frames are largely intact. Best to install stainless sheet to the bottom using stainless blind rivets. Use SM insulation board to fill the thickness of the framed metals. Glue that into place. Use FRP sheets (fiber reinforced plastic) to cover the SM insulation.
For my coach I have to replace everything. mine is totally rotted out.
Maik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maik View Post
I have the same problem with my 98 American Eagle. Yours is not as bad. Looks like your steel frames are largely intact. Best to install stainless sheet to the bottom using stainless blind rivets. Use SM insulation board to fill the thickness of the framed metals. Glue that into place. Use FRP sheets (fiber reinforced plastic) to cover the SM insulation.
For my coach I have to replace everything. mine is totally rotted out.
Home Depot has FRP sheets in the paneling dept. Cheap, 4x8, and White dimpled on one side, smooth on the other (that can be painted).
Old 01-11-2021, 03:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedog3722 View Post
I purchased a 2011 Essex from a couple that lived in Tampa this last August. After a pre-purchase inspection by a certified inspector and getting the coach home I also discovered a sagging floor that had been supported with a piece of lumber. I took these pictures today, 1/9/21. I'm in the process of fixing the complete wet bay. I removed the floor yesterday and some of the particle board from the back wall, the wall that is next to the drive wheels, and this is what I found. You can see that is severe aluminum failure of the back skin that allowed water intrusion into the wet bay. The wood layer of the floor, also particle board, was all removed just using my hands it was so rotten. I’m documenting the repair and will post a complete write up when complete. My suggestion to all who travel along the coastal area with a salt environment, repair early and you can save the supports making the repair a little easier.
I am trying to orient myself - I see a support piston in the 1st pic, are the doors of the Essex propped open at the bottom?
Did you remove all the wet tanks from that bay? I assume so but again, trying to orient myself.
I have rot at the very end of the aluminum bay "Skin" on the very bottom right in front of the rear tandem tires. I was thinking of epoxying the metal back to the steel and also to the foam. I might rethink this as I watch what you do.
It looks like if a rodent can get into the area below the "floor" that you removed, they have free rein to get anywhere. The "Floor" should keep them out but....
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air