Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2015, 11:44 AM   #1

Underbody Sewer Hose Storage

I finally got my vinyl fenceposts hung under my Dutch Star! I hung 3 posts, one for the sewer hose, 1 for my ladder, and one for my flagpole. I have the caps attached using 1/4" bolts, but am concerned about security of it all. Those who have used the vinyl fenceposts for ladder storage, how do you secure the caps to prevent your ladder from being stolen? I have stopnuts on the bolts, requiring a couple of wrenches to remove, but would like something more secure and convenient. For my sewer hose, I am using a 3/16 rod with one end bent at an angle, and a clip through the other end. Share your installs!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2015, 11:47 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm interested! Share a picture or two! Thanks! \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:20 PM   #3

I do not lock mine. I took a length of 1/4 inch aluminum rod drilled a hope in each end then used a spring pin in each end to secure. No problems after 10k miles (knock on wood)
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:24 PM   #4

3 fence posts under the water bay.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1422130733.860180.jpg
Views:	1492
Size:	262.8 KB
ID:	84094

I attached them by bolting a piece of angle iron to the compartment frame, then using 6" bolts, attached another piece of angle iron under the posts.

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1422130896.257061.jpg
Views:	2052
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	84096

The caps for the ladder and flagpole are accessed from the curbside. Bolts and stopnuts requiring wrenches currently provide security for the ladder and flagpole. The sewer hose cap is attached using a piece of 3/16 rod bent on one end, and a wire clip through a hole drilled in the rod.

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1422131072.376173.jpg
Views:	1646
Size:	280.8 KB
ID:	84097
Old 01-24-2015, 01:25 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Bumps, you can go into this long thread and find many HOOT's Mod's plus the ones in my signature below.
Your in the middle so scroll back and forth.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:35 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
I am not worrying about my stinky sewer hoses being stolen - if they need it that bad, they can have it. But then I don't have a pricy ladder in mine so I see your concern. I screwed the caps on using 4 sheet metal screws on the passenger side end. On the other end, I found a couple of dry wall cutting tools ( circle drywall cutters) and ground off the point on one end and the circle cutting tool on the other end. It works, and looks, a lot like your bent 1/4 rod except I can use the threaded "depth" setting device to keep it on. I saw a guy install little hasp lock fittings on one end and again used sheet metal screws to keep it all on. the other side of the cap was little hinges. Would probably deter the casual walk by ladder crime!
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:42 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
That looks great! I'd love to store my stinky slinky like that. Sounds like another project for the Spring! Many Thanks! \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:46 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I do not have a ladder that will fit in one of those so my ladder hangs on rather heavy duty "J" hooks and leans against a shower "Assist" bar and is secured with a cable lock.

But on the pole, it was a bit longer than the width of the MH so I cut a few inches off Basically what I did was PVC glue and screw the cap on 3 sides only the 4th side I cut like this \_O_/ I put a hinge at the top, and a standard slide bolt (Link follows) on the bottom DOWN)

I cut a slot in the "Bottom" of the cap so the tab extends throgh the slot, the bolt drops throgh it (a padlock would work there as well)

https://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...odege_001&vm=p

I did not use the smaller part, only the larger part, it points down.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:12 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Underbody Sewer Hose Storage

I also mounted three fence post covers that I use for the sewer hose plus other things long and thin. I used a different attach system, but haven't gotten around to posting it. Thanks for the reminder!

As to the end caps, I look on theft as a low probability event. I'm more concerned with the cap vibrating off. I found at HD some rubberized heavy flexible wires, about 12". I just thread them through holes in the end cap and bend to prevent falling out. Cheap, simple, effective. Initially I just bought one set, and used plain black 12 ga electrical wire on the others. Worked just as well, and I've never bothered to replace them.

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1422137545.847704.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	84105
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:28 PM   #10

I used 4 3/4" post with 5" caps. Hammer riveted on hinges and a pad lock clasp.

Never put a lock on, just the pin keepers. Never had a problem, been a couple of years now.

Name:	DSCF0778.JPG
Views:	1293
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	84110

Name:	DSCF0777.JPG
Views:	501
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	84111
Old 01-24-2015, 04:39 PM   #11

Thanks to all for the replies! After hearing of others experiences, I may be over thinking this security issue. I trimmed my posts to be just long enough to allow the pins to be removed with the compartment door open, but not when the door is closed. I used a 5" post, so the caps fit snugly. The current configuration wouldn't allow for a hinge, though keeping the lid always there would be nice! Thanks again for all the suggestions!
Old 01-24-2015, 05:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattChief View Post
I finally got my vinyl fenceposts hung under my Dutch Star! I hung 3 posts, one for the sewer hose, 1 for my ladder, and one for my flagpole. I have the caps attached using 1/4" bolts, but am concerned about security of it all. Those who have used the vinyl fenceposts for ladder storage, how do you secure the caps to prevent your ladder from being stolen? I have stopnuts on the bolts, requiring a couple of wrenches to remove, but would like something more secure and convenient. For my sewer hose, I am using a 3/16 rod with one end bent at an angle, and a clip through the other end. Share your installs!
BattChief
Why would did you hang fence posts with caps under your coach like the Beverly Hillbillies might have done?
Did you run out of room in your lockable compartments?
Wondering.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 05:12 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think it is a great idea and plan to do the same. I like the idea of my sewer hose being external rather than any place internal to my coach.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 05:12 PM   #14

Well, Mel.... (Kinda rhymes!)

I guess you can't get the redneck out! Uncle Jed never cared too much 'bout puttin' on airs, guess I don't either. Compartment storage is limited on a 40' with a tag axle, and I do like to bring "stuff". It may not be what others like, and I would not ask them to do something they don't like. For me, it adds valuable storage, and I like it!

Tags
storage