Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2022, 01:08 PM   #1
WTB

Unusual Slide Issue

I have a rather unusual issue with the front driver's side slide.

One push of the button and the slide goes out without an issue every time.

Getting it back in is another story. I usually have to push the button 3,4 or 5 times to get it to come back in.

Has anyone had this issue? Is this ultimately going to fail? Where do I begin to start to look? Is there a way to bypass the switch if necessary to get the slide back in? Any other thoughts or suggestions gratefully appreciated.

I'm on my way back home but have about 4 or 5 stops yet. When I get home I know where I can take it to have it looked at. However, on the road is another story.

Thanks for any help that can be provided.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2022, 02:03 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Unusual Slide Issue

How long has this been going on?

It could be that an adjustment of the limit switch on the controller will restore normal function.

If memory serves, the controller for that slide is under your fridge in the same space as your propane furnace. If you decide to adjust, go in very small increments. It doesnít take much.
Old 08-08-2022, 03:07 PM   #3
WTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
How long has this been going on?

It could be that an adjustment of the limit switch on the controller will restore normal function.

If memory serves, the controller for that slide is under your fridge in the same space as your propane furnace. If you decide to adjust, go in very small increments. It doesnít take much.
Thanks much but how do I do that? What am I looking for? Is this a part of the control board?
Old 08-08-2022, 03:30 PM   #4
Official iRV2 Sponsor

The control board has a dial on it to adjust the amps up. You need to turn that up. If it's all the way up, then you need to swap it out. Sounds like as the motor tries harder to pull in the room, it is amping out. I would try that before swapping out the motor. If you have 2 controllers side by side you can swap them and see if that corrects the issue. Usually one room is bigger than the other one. Controller should be mounted to frame rail in the basement
Collision Repair & Paint Restoration

SM Nashville 972-697-6325
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 04:24 PM   #5

Not a fix but to get home you could raise that side of the coach so the slide thinks itís going down hill. May make enough difference so it will require less pressure to come in. Just a thought. Good luck and safe trip home
DicknBambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 04:30 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
https://newpar.newmarcorp.com/instan...1SlideOuts.pdf

Secondly, I previously said the controller is in the same space as the furnace. After a couple of beers, I think it is at the back of the cubby beside the furnace.
Old 08-08-2022, 05:31 PM   #7

On my 2095 MADP, you turn the potentiometer counterclockwise to increase the amp out level.

Kind of backwards in my opinion.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 07:31 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTB View Post

Getting it back in is another story. I usually have to push the button 3,4 or 5 times to get it to come back in.

Has anyone had this issue? Is this ultimately going to fail? Where do I begin to start to look? Is there a way to bypass the switch if necessary to get the slide back in? Any other thoughts or suggestions gratefully appreciated.

I'm on my way back home but have about 4 or 5 stops yet. When I get home I know where I can take it to have it looked at. However, on the road is another story.

Just try holding the button in until the slide moves, don't cycle it. Mine works that way and takes 2-3 seconds before it moves.
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 08:58 PM   #9
WTB

Thanks for all the info

We have a few days to go before we leave. Will let you know how we make out.
Old 08-15-2022, 08:12 PM   #10
WTB

Go Figure

So the night before we are to leave I figure best to start trying to get the slide in now.

I'm all ready to just hold the switch down but I figure for giggles and chuckles let me give it like usual just a quick click.

Go figure, the green light comes on immediately, the lovely lady does her thing, five seconds later the slide comes in.

I can't figure it out but I'm glad it is in - for now
Old 08-16-2022, 06:19 PM   #11

Quote:
So the night before we are to leave I figure best to start trying to get the slide in now.

I'm all ready to just hold the switch down but I figure for giggles and chuckles let me give it like usual just a quick click.

Go figure, the green light comes on immediately, the lovely lady does her thing, five seconds later the slide comes in.

I can't figure it out but I'm glad it is in - for now
Two things. One is that adjustment pot can get a little dirty and only needs to be tweaked back and forth to regain the current reading. The other is Newmar grounded the controller to the frame and that has been an issue with others including myself. I had to run a ground wire directly from battery to ground lead in controller. I spliced into the wire. I do not remember exactly which pin it was but you can tell by the label on the controller.

I had one controller go bad and the replacements are no longer automatic. You have to hold the button in for the full slide movement. The voice still announces that the lock downs are locking or unlocking and then it will move as long as you stay on that button.

FWIW, if you do have to tweak the pot on the controller you must turn it counter clockwise to increase the pressure. FWIW
Fefanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 07:32 AM   #12

Newmar slides need the cleanest possible power. Power is voltage times current. As voltage drops, current increases. But, the current is limited. By the controller.

Get clean power by cleaning your battery cable connections. Also, do not operate that slide with any other 12v devices operating.. like lights.

Lastly, maximize your voltage by getting your charger into bulk/absorb mode... 14vs.

Every now and then , I use deoxit to clean the power connector on the controller.

One more thing, if you have automatic slide locks, the position sensors can become damaged and unreliable.
Old 08-23-2022, 03:23 PM   #13

If it was working fine and then started to give you problems the slide control module is going bad. Same thing happened on my Newmar replaced the controller and no problems
Mr Taxpayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 09:42 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:

I forgot about something that happened to my previous coach, 2002 DSDP, same issue as yours. The fix was changing out both my slide switches. Just for kicks, unscrew your switch next time it happens and just jump the wires manually and see what happens. I used a newer led pushbutton switch for my front slide and also my bedroom slide. After I did that, ONE PUSH was all it took.
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide