RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2013, 08:30 PM   #1

Update on steps on coming in

I have Lippert Coach Step Steps not Kwikee I tested all electrical all okay the big gear is bent and rubs on a bolt and locks the Motor up I have a 2011 Canyon Star 3642 I have not hit anything so I know I did not bend it my steps have always had a lot of play in them and maybe going in and out so many times bent it I have noticed some people put a jack under their steps to help hold it up I will start doing that also, I will call Newmar and see if there is any Warranty left on the Steps
http://www.strombergcarlson.com/pdf/...epElectric.pdf

Rodneykrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2013, 08:47 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the same steps on my 2010 and they have been problematic. The main bolt tends to work it's way loose with use and that allows the pivot plate to bend the support bracket which can bind up the steps. I have made it a regular chore to periodically get under there and tighten the bolt and I've found that locktite helps. Much to my surprise, the bolt sheared off at the threads on a trip last fall and I haven't quite figured out how to get it out to replace it......I have a new bolt. Probably will need a trip to my dealer this spring.

DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:49 PM   #3

Should have said steps not coming in
Old 02-19-2013, 09:07 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Dave,If the steps are open try loosing the motor screw mounting, to remove pin, had same problem with the KW steps, I used just a regular bolt with lock nut.
For parts may try PPL Parts.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:34 PM   #5

Dave what bolt are you talking about?
Old 02-23-2013, 06:35 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodneykrantz View Post
Dave what bolt are you talking about?
The socket head shoulder bolt that holds the entire gear plate assembly. Not sure what 007 was talking about.
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2013, 07:07 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sorry wrong step, thanks for the link to steps Rod.
What ever steps you have need plenty of lube at pivot points to keep from binding.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:39 AM   #8

We have a 2011 Canyon Star 3810 that we bought new and we had the same problem. We had made a stop and the steps would not come back in. Looked underneath and found that the gear assembly had gone too far past the motor. When I tried to move it back in place the bolt just dropped out and the whole step assemble collapsed. Upon inspection of the bolt I found it was partially cracked. We lucked out because if we had gone further and hit a bump or whatever the step would have dropped and caused considerable damage. We tied the step up and waited till we got home and took it into our dealer. We found there was no warranty on the step, however our dealer helped us out price wise and we got a new step. It was a manufacturer fault but the manufacturer would not back the product up.
irvwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:53 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have dealt with Lippert a few time about my steps. I've found their customer service to be pretty good and they sent me some new parts under warranty. Here is their number, Toll Free Service Number: 1-866-LCI-SVC1 (1-866-524-7821).
Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
irvwood, you have described the problems I have had exactly. That shoulder bolt has a bad habit of coming loose with use of the steps and once it does, the gear plate assembly will bind up and bend the mounting bracket which is relatively thin steel. It is a very poor design IMO. As described earlier, my bolt sheared off leaving the threads up in the mounting plate, need to figure out how to get that out so I can replace the bolt.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandS View Post
irvwood, you have described the problems I have had exactly. That shoulder bolt has a bad habit of coming loose with use of the steps and once it does, the gear plate assembly will bind up and bend the mounting bracket which is relatively thin steel. It is a very poor design IMO. As described earlier, my bolt sheared off leaving the threads up in the mounting plate, need to figure out how to get that out so I can replace the bolt.
Same problem. Our dealer stated that with the bolt sheared off the whole unit had to be replaced as there was no way they could see to get the threaded part that was stuck up inside out and then replace the bolt. $400.00 later we had a new step.
irvwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:45 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvwood View Post
Our dealer stated that with the bolt sheared off the whole unit had to be replaced........
OUCH! I hope that is not the case with mine......I would think you could get at the broken bolt with an extractor tool but I haven't really looked that close at it. Will be consulting with my dealer next month some time and we shall see.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:02 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just a follow up to report my dealer was able to remove the broken bolt with an extractor tool but the step motor was damaged and needed to be replaced. Still cost me a few hundred bucks but we're back in business.

Tags
steps