Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2020, 06:43 PM   #1

Upgrade to Lithium?

For anyone that has upgraded to Lithium, did you keep them in the battery compartment or place them somewhere inside the coach for heat and cold protection? Thanks.
EPAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2020, 07:46 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Lithium Upgrade

We changed the batteries to Renogy Lithium in a 2019 Baystar. The house batteries were in the engine compartment so it isn't directly comparable, but they are outside. We don't do much in the winter, so don't see it as an issue. We love the batteries. I would like to add two more, probably in the compartment with the charger.
goderda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 08:27 PM   #3

When I upgrade to Lithium I plan to use the existing battery compartment. I plan to close it off and add a limited amount of insulation. Likely I'll use a LifeBlue battery that has a low temp rating down to -20C. I doubt I'll be in that type of environment but that's the capability they have today.

I view the existing battery compartment as too valuable to not use. It will require modifications to enclose the compartment of which I am currently working on the design.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:19 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
I put mine under the bed which gives us the environment that best serves the temperature profile for the batteries. Here's our installation.

In our case, we are re-utilizing the battery compartment for the outdoor portion of a dual-zone mini-split AC/Heating system. This will allow us to remove the rooftop AC units and will free up more space for additional solar panels to power those LiFePO4 batteries.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0530.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	235.8 KB
ID:	304606  
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 09:23 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Epaz - we replaced our 6 FLA batteries with 4 Battleborn Lithium ion batteries about six months ago. The Lead Acid batteries were in a compartment with the propane tank on our 2017 Ventana LE which is open on the bottom.

We discussed whether to enclose and insulate the batteries with our installer, and decided not to. Living in coastal California we have moderate temperatures year round and have never been in sub-freezing temps. We used to be just weekend travelers and now with working from home have used the RV for weeks at a time in various locations. We have been in very high temps of over 110 F (Week in Palm Springs July 4th week) but never cold. Enclosing would be easy enough but just not necessary.

Are you planning to be in very cold temps for extended periods? Based on my understanding that’s when you should consider enclosing or looking for batteries with built in heating. I admit that we tried to get a different brand battery that had built in heaters but they were on back order in March so we went with the Battle Born.
Old 10-14-2020, 01:21 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Lifeblue batteries with built in heaters here. Plus bluetooth monitoring of SoC, battery state, amos in/out, cycle count, etc. Very pleased with them.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 07:25 AM   #7

Enclosed my battery compartment and upgraded to 555 ah of Lithionics battery that has a built in heater.
Lithionics Neverdie BMS has Bluetooth connectivity to monitor the battery. This is without a doubt one of the best upgrades I have made to the coach. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7419.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	355.5 KB
ID:	304642Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7478.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	428.6 KB
ID:	304643
Old 10-14-2020, 07:30 AM   #8

rtspense,

Nice installation. What material did you use to enclose your battery compartment?
Old 10-14-2020, 07:41 AM   #9

I put mine inside, as I do camp in the cold. Being inside helps keep them from walking away, too. I store my trailer in a fairly secure facility, but all it takes is one opportunistic thief.

I plan to use the original battery rack for a tool box, but have not found a good solution. I am not competent to build one of metal.
Old 10-14-2020, 08:46 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucemcdou View Post
Hi Epaz - we replaced our 6 FLA batteries with 4 Battleborn Lithium ion batteries about six months ago. The Lead Acid batteries were in a compartment with the propane tank on our 2017 Ventana LE which is open on the bottom.

We discussed whether to enclose and insulate the batteries with our installer, and decided not to. Living in coastal California we have moderate temperatures year round and have never been in sub-freezing temps. We used to be just weekend travelers and now with working from home have used the RV for weeks at a time in various locations. We have been in very high temps of over 110 F (Week in Palm Springs July 4th week) but never cold. Enclosing would be easy enough but just not necessary.

Are you planning to be in very cold temps for extended periods? Based on my understanding that’s when you should consider enclosing or looking for batteries with built in heating. I admit that we tried to get a different brand battery that had built in heaters but they were on back order in March so we went with the Battle Born.
While cold weather is a concern for lithium batteries and can be overcome with heaters (either internal to the battery or external pads) of equal concern should be excessive heat. High operating temperatures can quickly reduce the life of a lithium battery.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 09:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamnash-rv View Post
rtspense,

Nice installation. What material did you use to enclose your battery compartment?

Thanks
I used 3/4 pressure treated plywood
Also put layer of heat shield insulation between the metal floor pan and the bottom sheet of plywood
Old 10-16-2020, 01:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHinman View Post
I put mine inside, as I do camp in the cold. Being inside helps keep them from walking away, too. I store my trailer in a fairly secure facility, but all it takes is one opportunistic thief.

I plan to use the original battery rack for a tool box, but have not found a good solution. I am not competent to build one of metal.
Not cheap, but a good looking solution...

https://rvcablegrip.com/RV_Drawers.html
Old 10-19-2020, 09:30 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Ok, my interest in Lithium has peeked given this discussion.

Outside of the thousand of questions regarding this upgrade, can any of you give me an approximate cost for the complete purchase and install?

What adjustments did the inverter require?
Old 10-20-2020, 09:34 AM   #14

My installation included one Battleborne 100amp-hour battery, a Victron BMV-712 monitor, the optional temperature probe, and a Blue Sea battery cut-off switch. I also added a Charge Wizard pendant to my PD9260 converter so it would fully charge the battery.

There were some additional bits and pieces of wire and hardware needed to complete the installation.

I modified a compartment under the bed of my trailer to contain the batteries, but since I am an amateur woodworker I had everything on hand for that.

Total cost was about $1,250. That is all parts and material, as I did the work myself. With a little study it is not hard. The cost was well worth it for the convenience.

I have no inverter. I have not studied that, but what little I have seen makes me think it is a lot more complicated.

The biggest single item was the battery, at $900. Second was the monitor, but after having the monitor I would not be without one. By the way, there is a BMV-712 for sale in the classified here.

If you have questions feel free to ask. I am not an expert, but will share what I can.

Tags
lithium, upgrade