Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2021, 01:19 PM   #1

Upgrade to Vinyl Tile over Sheet Worth the Price?

I've searched the forums for this subject, but was only able to find replacement-related topics. We are placing an order for a 2022 Newmar Bay Star and want to finalize the options this week. We are debating the final part of the interior - the floor.

Things we are looking for -
Extend the flooring to the bedroom and remove the carpet.
Change the color from a dark wood tone to something lighter.
Decrease maintenance cost for repairs.
Increase durability.

Things we are wanting to avoid -
Reduced quality or cheap look
Delamination
Cracking/pealing
Leaking
Dirt hold in the tile joint

Does anyone have recommendations as to flooring type for tile or sheet vinyl from Newmar? Is it worth the price of the tile vs sheet vinyl to upgrade?

We do not know if Newmar butts the tile to each other, or uses a grout to seal the floor joints for water-tight/dirt-resistance type fittings.

All the research I've done says not to use a tile product in a motorhome vs a sheet vinyl. However, only the Bay Star (+Sport) offer the sheet vinyl. All models above that price point are tile. So if the tile is bad in a motorhome, why is it so common? I like the look of the tile, but do not want pealing and cracking issues years later.

Please offer some advice for this decision.
Also - it's hard to se the difference between the two options because all the advertisement material has vinyl tile as the example.
Lab00Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2021, 09:58 PM   #2

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Hi there!

You don’t have a true tile floor option in a Bay Star. It’s all vinyl. They call it vinyl tile, and it is an upgraded wood plank vinyl floor. It makes it look like wood instead of a light laminate floor. I agree with doing the extension of the vinyl tile into the bedroom! Less carpet and it makes it feel bigger! I hope that helps!

Angie
Collision Repair & Paint Restoration
214-392-1100
Angie Morell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 12:43 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We had the vinyl tile flooring in our Canyon Star (2019/ 3719 fp) and we enjoyed it. Looked great, held up well, easy to clean. the seamless look from cockpit to bedroom closet make the coach look huge.

Only issues I have heard about it centered around slide roller impact marking. We used the Newmar supplied floor protectors and never had an issue.

Enjoy your coach.
New2road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 01:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie Morell View Post
Hi there!

You donít have a true tile floor option in a Bay Star. Itís all vinyl. They call it vinyl tile, and it is an upgraded wood plank vinyl floor. It makes it look like wood instead of a light laminate floor. I agree with doing the extension of the vinyl tile into the bedroom! Less carpet and it makes it feel bigger! I hope that helps!

Angie
Thanks for the response. I've watches so many of your videos that my wife watches them with me now just to make sure it's all about the motorhome...

We are looking for the sheet vinyl replacement options (Bay Star). However, ALL of the videos and photos I find with this new model year (2022) are all upgraded to plank wood-vinyl (Canyon Star +) or vinyl tile (Bay Star). We are not interested in the ceramics at all. It's rather difficult to get an idea of how these non-upgraded vinyl tiles (Canyon Star +) look inside the coach. I searched the NIRV website, but was not able to see an example of the vinyl sheet for the Bay Star or the vinyl tile (not upgraded) for the Canyon Star.

I suspect that later on there will be examples of these flooring option; however, we'll have our build close to starting by time that happens.
First world problems.

Cheers.
Old 07-26-2021, 01:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2road View Post
We had the vinyl tile flooring in our Canyon Star (2019/ 3719 fp) and we enjoyed it. Looked great, held up well, easy to clean. the seamless look from cockpit to bedroom closet make the coach look huge.

Only issues I have heard about it centered around slide roller impact marking. We used the Newmar supplied floor protectors and never had an issue.

Enjoy your coach.
Newmar supplied? like an accessory, or an item that comes standard in the coach?

Really glad to hear that the tile is a worthy option.
Old 07-26-2021, 02:47 PM   #6

Always order the vinyl tile option and no carpet. You will thank me later. Get a nice rubber rug for the bedroom if you like the feel of carpet in there.
Ebwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 08:10 PM   #7

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebwhite View Post
Always order the vinyl tile option and no carpet. You will thank me later. Get a nice rubber rug for the bedroom if you like the feel of carpet in there.

Thanks for the information and suggestion. We opted for the tile and carpet delete. We also asked for tile from a Canyon Star (not upgraded), but don't know if Newmar will go for the swap yet.
Old 07-26-2021, 09:20 PM   #8

We have the vinyl tile in our Bay Star and are approaching year 2 and it looks as good as it did the day we bought it. The one thing I like about it is if a piece is damaged then only that piece needs to be replaced. Not sure I want to try and take a piece out and replace it, but I bought a bunch and have it ready if needed.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:39 PM   #9

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab00Rat View Post
Thanks for the response. I've watches so many of your videos that my wife watches them with me now just to make sure it's all about the motorhome...

We are looking for the sheet vinyl replacement options (Bay Star). However, ALL of the videos and photos I find with this new model year (2022) are all upgraded to plank wood-vinyl (Canyon Star +) or vinyl tile (Bay Star). We are not interested in the ceramics at all. It's rather difficult to get an idea of how these non-upgraded vinyl tiles (Canyon Star +) look inside the coach. I searched the NIRV website, but was not able to see an example of the vinyl sheet for the Bay Star or the vinyl tile (not upgraded) for the Canyon Star.

I suspect that later on there will be examples of these flooring option; however, we'll have our build close to starting by time that happens.

First world problems.

Cheers.

Thanks for watching my videos! We just received a 2022 Baystar and Canyonstar. Iíll take a few pictures of the standard flooring for you tomorrow.
214-392-1100
Old 07-26-2021, 10:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab00Rat View Post
Thanks for the information and suggestion. We opted for the tile and carpet delete. We also asked for tile from a Canyon Star (not upgraded), but don't know if Newmar will go for the swap yet.

They will usually swap tile for tile colors or counter colors accross different product lines. Unless youíre asking for ceramic then prob not.
Ebwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 02:01 PM   #11

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie Morell View Post
Thanks for watching my videos! We just received a 2022 Baystar and Canyonstar. Iíll take a few pictures of the standard flooring for you tomorrow.

Standard Canyonstar flooring

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7727.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	274.6 KB
ID:	337472

Standard Baystar flooring

Name:	IMG_7728.jpg
Size:	301.0 KB
ID:	337473

Name:	IMG_7729.jpg
Size:	248.4 KB
ID:	337474

I hope these pictures help!

Angie
214-392-1100
Old 08-01-2021, 11:20 AM   #12

I can only give you may view having just ordered a new BS3401 for 2022 delivery. The tile is pretty thick and they provide one spare, so if a single tile gets damaged then its a simple task of replacing that one tile as other say above.. Personally I would invest in the tile not the sheet and it looks better.

Angie's photos give you a great idea on the quality of the look of the tile and the grouting effect and a useful comment about all tile making it look bigger.

We kept with the bedroom carpet. The thinking is that in colder seasons, it just may feel warmer and adds to a change of feel from main living space to bedroom space. Its likley to mean from time to time we have to have the carpet properly cleaned but we are happy with that. Personal preference I guess.
BigMC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flooring, new buyer help, tile, vinyl