Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2021, 09:22 PM   #1

Upgrading ventilation fans on a Bay Star Sport

I'm looking to upgrade the fans on my Bay Star Sport. I realize that the BSS is the lowest of the Newmars, and expect some compromises because of that. I've understood the compromises that Newmar did, and basically agreed with them -- except for the fan. To me, those stock fans are just beneath the quality of all the other components in my BSS.

I wanted to get one with a hood (or get a separate hood), so I could run it in the rain and/or while driving, and multiple speeds so that I could get as much air turnover as needed at a minimum of fan noise.

The Maxxair Deluxe 7000k/7500K seems to be the best solution for me, and can even come with a remote control, so my wife can control it (she's short and can't reach the current ones).

However, I saw at one point while doing my research that the 7000K/7500K will pull up to 4-5 amps. The OEM one in my BSS sport says that it pulls 1.2 amps. I know that the bathroom and kitchen fans are on separate circuits (along with the lights), protected by a 20 amp fuse. Should I be at all concerned about the additional 3-4 amps for the upgraded fan overloading that circuit, or another fuse somewhere (maybe an inline one for the fan only)?

If you have any other advice on this upgrade, please let me know. I hope I don't start off a FantasticFan/Maxxair religious war here. I expect that both products are good ones, but the one-and-done approach of the fan and hood combination, given that I wanted to replace the fan anyways, seems to be the right way for me to go.

Thanks in advance for your information/opinon.
southardrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2021, 02:51 PM   #2

I believe you should be OK if it is on a 20 amp fuse. If I had any concern it would be what else is powered off that fuse. You can pull the fuse and check to see what other things won't work if you don't have a wiring schematic. Another concern could be the gauge of the wire but, as a rule, that is supposed to match the fuse rating so it is likely able to handle the increase. Good luck because I know what you mean about lousy fans. We had them on our previous RV.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 07:18 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Fans draw different amps at different speeds. The difference is with the fan speeds so in any case, if by some chance that little 3 amp difference pops a DC fuse, lower the speed a bit. But that would be worst case scenario. With it being on a 20 amp fuse you'll be good to go and never look back.
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 11:48 PM   #4

I have 2 of the Maxxair fans that I installed in my BSS. One in the kitchen and one in the bathroom with no problems.
mgtibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 04:45 AM   #5

I replaced our bathroom fan with the Maxxair with remote. It's a great fan and I may get another one to replace the fan over the kitchen area.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 07:36 AM   #6

What was the problem with your original fans? I have a 2019 BSS and mine seem to work fine. Iíve been considering putting covesr on them but havenít thought about replacing them.
PetesMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 08:35 AM   #7

Upgrading ventilation fans on a Bay Star Sport

I have a new in the box max air fan. If you want it PM me.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2446.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	342.6 KB
ID:	338780
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 02:43 PM   #8

No problem, just wanted better

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesMH View Post
What was the problem with your original fans? I have a 2019 BSS and mine seem to work fine. Iíve been considering putting covesr on them but havenít thought about replacing them.
The original fans still work -- they just don't meet my requirements for quality and functionality. From a quality standpoint:
1) We took the screen off to clean it, and the one of the plastic retaining clips broke.
2) I can actually see small rust spots on the interior of the fan housing on the roof -- it's clearly pretty thin metal. The cover seems very fragile as well -- you can see it whipping around in the wind, even when closed. That's probably where the rust came from -- small water intrusion in a storm.
3) The overall "fit and finish" is poor, in my opinion, and simply isn't up to the standards that I find in the rest of the coach. I'm not expecting gold plating or anything -- I know it's an entry-level Newmar -- but it just doesn't fit well. It's the only part of the coach I felt they inappropriately cheaped out on.

All of that would be fine, except for the functionality issues, which are (perhaps) specific to me:
1) The actual fan part is very small compared to the opening. It's clearly not going to be moving as much air as it could.
2) It doesn't have a hood, so can't be used in the rain. I've already wanted to do that a few times. Yes, I could add a hood, but that only addresses one issue and would be almost as much work as replacing the fan.
3) My wife is short -- I'm tired of opening it for her. The auto opening/remote control of the Maxxair means that she can start doing it herself.
Old 08-09-2021, 02:45 PM   #9

Wish I'd seen this sooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZNEDY View Post
I have a new in the box max air fan. If you want it PM me.Attachment 338780
Thanks -- that's the 7500K. I went with the 7000K, but could easily have used the grey color. However, I ordered my two fans on Thursday, they shipped out the next day, and they're on the delivery truck today already. I was pleasantly surprised, given all the horror stories I've heard about supply issues in the industry.
Old 08-09-2021, 07:41 PM   #10

Yah, that was a good turn around. We ordered this one from e-trailer and never put it in our last Motorhome. Our Ventana had them so in the box it still sits. Oh well, back to the garage it goes.
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 06:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by southardrv View Post
The original fans still work -- they just don't meet my requirements for quality and functionality. From a quality standpoint:
1) We took the screen off to clean it, and the one of the plastic retaining clips broke.
2) I can actually see small rust spots on the interior of the fan housing on the roof -- it's clearly pretty thin metal. The cover seems very fragile as well -- you can see it whipping around in the wind, even when closed. That's probably where the rust came from -- small water intrusion in a storm.
3) The overall "fit and finish" is poor, in my opinion, and simply isn't up to the standards that I find in the rest of the coach. I'm not expecting gold plating or anything -- I know it's an entry-level Newmar -- but it just doesn't fit well. It's the only part of the coach I felt they inappropriately cheaped out on.

All of that would be fine, except for the functionality issues, which are (perhaps) specific to me:
1) The actual fan part is very small compared to the opening. It's clearly not going to be moving as much air as it could.
2) It doesn't have a hood, so can't be used in the rain. I've already wanted to do that a few times. Yes, I could add a hood, but that only addresses one issue and would be almost as much work as replacing the fan.
3) My wife is short -- I'm tired of opening it for her. The auto opening/remote control of the Maxxair means that she can start doing it herself.
Oh. Sounds like your upgrade will be a good thing for you. We hardly ever use our fans and have found them to be entirely satisfactory.
PetesMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 07:25 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
To help prevent mold buildup from humidity and steam you should use your bathroom fan while taking a shower.

Or... after a nice meal at a Mexican restaurant.
Old 08-27-2021, 12:54 PM   #13

Update on installation

Now that I've had the fans in for a trip, I thought I'd give a quick update. I received the fans very quickly (was glad to see that the supply chain issues are abating -- or I got lucky), and they went in quickly as well -- got both of them installed in a morning. I didn't even have to bother with cutting down the internal shrouds -- the roof of the BSS seems to be thick enough for them to go right in.

There have been no problems at all with them, and they're doing everything I wanted (my 5' 2" wife can now operate them on her own). No problem running them in the rain or going down the road. If anything, they're a bit of an overkill -- at max speed they definitely create a bit of a wind tunnel inside. But that's not a problem, as I can just keep them at a lower speed if I want.
Old 08-27-2021, 03:06 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the update and enjoy them

Tags
bay star, fan, vent