Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2022, 02:07 PM   #1

Upholstery peeling

Has anyone had the upholstery replaced under warranty due to peeling and delaminating only to have it happen again? My 2017 Ventana is one that it has happened to.
Shell Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2022, 03:50 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell Man View Post
Has anyone had the upholstery replaced under warranty due to peeling and delaminating only to have it happen again? My 2017 Ventana is one that it has happened to.
The replacement stuff was the same as the original that had to be warrantied in the first place.

I haven't personally, but one of my winter neighbors did. Don't know if the Newmar warranty was better than my friend's Coachman. But in his case, their warranty solution was to agree to give him new presewn covers, and enough fabric to do any other parts, but he had to pay the shipping and installation. He was going right past the factory or supplier so they agreed to let him pick it up. (he was quoted $700 to ship it) When he got to our winter site in Mexico we just put them on ourselves. I've worked in the body shop and he works in marine repairs so we made a party of it.

He was back the next year with the same coach and it looked just like it the first time. This time the factory wanted to see his installation receipt and he didn't have one.

He had everything redone in Marine-grade vinyl for $14,000 pesos. $700 USD. That was 4 years ago and it looks as good as the day the Mexicans did it.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 06:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosnandy View Post
The replacement stuff was the same as the original that had to be warrantied in the first place.

I haven't personally, but one of my winter neighbors did. Don't know if the Newmar warranty was better than my friend's Coachman. But in his case, their warranty solution was to agree to give him new presewn covers, and enough fabric to do any other parts, but he had to pay the shipping and installation. He was going right past the factory or supplier so they agreed to let him pick it up. (he was quoted $700 to ship it) When he got to our winter site in Mexico we just put them on ourselves. I've worked in the body shop and he works in marine repairs so we made a party of it.

He was back the next year with the same coach and it looked just like it the first time. This time the factory wanted to see his installation receipt and he didn't have one.

He had everything redone in Marine-grade vinyl for $14,000 pesos. $700 USD. That was 4 years ago and it looks as good as the day the Mexicans did it.
The upholstery fiasco in the rv industry is unbelievable. We accept this junk and it will continue.
I do understand that we have no option. Or do we?
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 05:57 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I agree this is a mess…. My 2017 Newmar is still good, but I know it’s inevitable…. I even had this issue on my old 2007 Thor motorhome years ago…

I have seen several people go to this firm and have good results…. Feel free to search the threads for them.

Bauer RV Upholstery
Ph 563.542.4902 email mbauer@bauerrvupholstery.com
https://bauerrvupholstery.com/
https://youtu.be/TOXzX76GKd0
richpatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 07:17 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
If you can get actual Ultra Leather material, then you should be good. My furniture wasn't Flexsteel so I couldn't use Bauer. But I did order a new sleeper sofa/couch, recliner as well as enough material to redo my Driver and Passenger Captains Chairs. All REAL Ultra Leather from:

Glastop RV & Motorhome Furniture
954-781-8460

Glastop RV & Motorhome Furniture | Custom RV & Motorhome Furnishings | Glastop | Pompano Beach FL
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 07:17 AM   #6

Newmar replaced my upholstery on my 2015 when it was maybe a year old. That was about 6 years ago & replacement upholstery has held up well.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 09:55 AM   #7

My Bay Star Sport had the problem in year 5, Flex Steel had gotten out of the RV business, Newmar said no, even though they had just fixed another same year model for free. Went to local auto/marine upholstery shop and had them redo the two captains chairs with much higher quality. Seems even good companies can put crap in their products.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 04:24 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
[QUOTE=Shell Man;6262772]Has anyone had the upholstery replaced under warranty due to peeling and delaminating only to have it happen again? My 2017 Ventana is one that it has happened to.[/QUOTE

Are you the original owners? Newmar has replaced a lot of upholstery materials but each case is handled differently. Recommend you call, not write, the Ventana CSR and get an incident recorded. But if you aren’t the original owners it’s doubtful they will do anything for free. 6 model years is a long time
Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 06:13 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
[QUOTE=Clemson;6264467]
Quote:
Has anyone had the upholstery replaced under warranty due to peeling and delaminating only to have it happen again? My 2017 Ventana is one that it has happened to.[/QUOTE

Are you the original owners? Newmar has replaced a lot of upholstery materials but each case is handled differently. Recommend you call, not write, the Ventana CSR and get an incident recorded. But if you aren’t the original owners it’s doubtful they will do anything for free. 6 model years is a long time
When my time comes, I may not go with what Newmar offers….as I would be worried it would happen again.
richpatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 09:10 AM   #10

[QUOTE=Clemson;6264467]
Quote:
Has anyone had the upholstery replaced under warranty due to peeling and delaminating only to have it happen again? My 2017 Ventana is one that it has happened to.[/QUOTE

Yes. I'm the original owner. The frustrating thing is that when they replaced the upholstery, we paid $700 to upgrade the fabric to insure that we would not have the same issue.
Old 08-03-2022, 12:10 PM   #11

Such a common issue and since your rig is in the 5 year old range, I doubt that you'll get any help from the manufacturer. So, it's either buy a replacement or have it reupholstered. On our 2012 Bay Star, we had the captain's chairs reupholstered and we're waiting the delivery of a new sleeper couch and hope to have it installed in October.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 12:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbwr View Post
Such a common issue and since your rig is in the 5 year old range, I doubt that you'll get any help from the manufacturer. So, it's either buy a replacement or have it reupholstered. On our 2012 Bay Star, we had the captain's chairs reupholstered and we're waiting the delivery of a new sleeper couch and hope to have it installed in October.
Where did you buy your couch ?
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 08:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ted View Post
Where did you buy your couch ?
Newmar sent it out. It's from Flexsteel.
Old 08-09-2022, 09:26 AM   #14

I called Newmar CS in Feb 2021 about our 2019 Ventana LE excessive wear upholstery issues. They agreed to a one-time free replacement on all furniture after review of pics and other documentation sent them even though we were not the original owners.
Installation was completed in Mar 2022 - material backlog and dealer scheduling issues.
Time will tell how this wears.
L J Rock is offline   Reply With Quote