Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2022, 10:07 AM   #1

Use 2nd Surge Protector Along With The Factory Hard Wired

If you have the factory hard wired surge protector do you also use use another one at the pole? If so which one do you recommend? Thanks
Capt Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2022, 10:11 AM   #2

WHY?

The hardwired one does its job then another one is not required

Portable and Hardwired versions are made so folks have options

I use a PI 50A Surge Protector because I couldn't install a hardwired one due to access/wiring setup
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 10:36 AM   #3

I use a Progressive EMS 50 at the pedestal. If that blows I still have the one in the coach. Only the coach and that goes then you have nothing.
ThunderRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 11:14 AM   #4
Rd1

I also have the EMS 50 at the pedestol. It comes with a life time warranty. I figure if the EMS goes, then replace it under warranty(?). If newmar's unit goes, that could be costly. I purchased mine with the previous unit, so it is about 7 years old and it has been in use full time.

Even though mine is the outdoor version, I have it installed inside the power compartment. Just didn't want to have it outside year around.

I cut the 50a wire from back of the power reel to the newmar transfer switch. Installed male/female 50a connectors and have the EMS installed in between. It has been there for 5.5 yrs now and I just check it when first plug in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	POwerSurge.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	266.2 KB
ID:	354528  
Old 01-23-2022, 12:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rd1 View Post
I also have the EMS 50 at the pedestol. It comes with a life time warranty. I figure if the EMS goes, then replace it under warranty(?). If newmar's unit goes, that could be costly. I purchased mine with the previous unit, so it is about 7 years old and it has been in use full time.

Even though mine is the outdoor version, I have it installed inside the power compartment. Just didn't want to have it outside year around.

I cut the 50a wire from back of the power reel to the newmar transfer switch. Installed male/female 50a connectors and have the EMS installed in between. It has been there for 5.5 yrs now and I just check it when first plug in.
That sounds great. Do you have any more info and pictures how you did that?
Capt Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 12:13 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Capt Van, I would and here is why. When I was putting my coach together last year, I asked Newmar about the ATS with the integral surge protector. I wanted to know how it would handle a surge large enough to fry it and what the owner would need to do to recover from that.

Here is the response I received:

Quote:
The Surge Guard ATS guards against low voltage, high voltage, non-60 Hertz line frequency and power surges. The transfer switch will disengage power if it detects incoming power to be outside of operating range. It will also disconnect power if it absorbs a power surge (transient voltage) above its surge rating, such as from a lighting strike. A power surge that exceeds the switch rating will require the control board to be replaced in order to make the switch operational again.
Based on that, I got the standard issue ATS which I protect with a Hughes Autoformer EMS in the electric bay, and a much cheaper portable Progressive Industries unit on the pedestal.
Old 01-23-2022, 01:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Van View Post
If you have the factory hard wired surge protector do you also use use another one at the pole? If so which one do you recommend? Thanks
You ask about surge protection and a lot of the responses talk about EMS systems. Those systems may have surge protection, but their main function is to disconnect it the voltage swings high or low or there is a wiring problem. Very good to have.

Surge protection you can never have enough of cuz if you look inside those little packages and see what comprises the "surge" protection, you will know that if the big ol' lightning bolt wants to go through your wiring, those little MOVs will not stop it, but they will take care of the 'transient' voltage spikes that happen in every day life and also be aware they can only handle a ltd. number of spikes w/o showing any damage. :-/
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 01:54 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I have the same SurgeGuard combo ATS/EMS unit on my 2019 DS. From the very beginning I bought a portable SurgeGuard unit to use at the shore power connection.

https://www.campingworld.com/southwi...25%20or%20Less
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 02:19 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Like DSD, I also have the SurgeGuard combo ATS/EMS unit in my 2018 MADP. I have also been using the portable SurgeGuard unit at the pedestal.

One of the nice things about the portable unit is that I can easily and quickly connect it to the pedestal, turn on the breaker and see that I have all green lights such that I can safely connect my coach to the shore power. Without the portable unit, I would need to connect the coach directly to the shore power and then troubleshoot any issues from inside of the coach by looking at the various gauges and then head back to the pedestal in an attempt to resolve any problems.

Also, in the event that there is a power surge that was going to "take out" my surge protector, I'd prefer it be a cheap portable unit as opposed to the ATS/Surge combo unit.
Old 01-23-2022, 03:31 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Van View Post
Capt Van ... I plan to install a "hardwired" Progressive Industries EMS Surge & Electrical Protection unit ahead of what comes with the coach. I have always had one of these units on all my coaches and it has always kept me out of trouble. No use changing things now.

FLSteve

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-I...st_sto_dp&th=1
FLSteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 04:43 PM   #11

Portable progressive industries surge guard

Upon delivery of my coach when new,I had a bunch of interaction with James Scott(r.I.p)who was the newmar rep who would take care of the coaches out on the nascar tour and was the go to guy with electrical problems….he told me to get the additional surge protector and keep any potential issues”as far down the line as possible,and as far away from the coach electronics as possible”I went with a progressive industries product……..as others have stated,I’d much prefer replacing that portable unit if a problem happens……happy travels joe b 2019 king aire
Old 01-23-2022, 05:00 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSteve View Post
Capt Van ... I plan to install a "hardwired" Progressive Industries EMS Surge & Electrical Protection unit ahead of what comes with the coach. I have always had one of these units on all my coaches and it has always kept me out of trouble. No use changing things now.

FLSteve

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-I...st_sto_dp&th=1
Steve, is Newmar still installing the SurgeGuard combo ATS/EMS unit Model 40350 RVC? If so, you'll really be duplicating efforts and they may not play together well. I have the above unit and added the remote. I use the SurgeGuard 50 amp portable at the pedestal.

https://www.campingworld.com/surge-g...6&gclsrc=3p.ds

If you really want the Progressive Unit, I would get Newmar to just install a standard ATS.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 05:25 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Steve, is Newmar still installing the SurgeGuard combo ATS/EMS unit Model 40350 RVC? If so, you'll really be duplicating efforts and they may not play together well. I have the above unit and added the remote. I use the SurgeGuard 50 amp portable at the pedestal.

If you really want the Progressive Unit, I would get Newmar to just install a standard ATS.
Dutch Star Don ... good questions. I will need to check on that. Thanks for the heads up.

EDIT: Actually, I just looked on Newgle and it appears that on the Mountain Aire they are installing the Southwire 40450-RVC3 Surge Guard 50A Automatic Transfer Switch with Shore Power Sensing and the Southwire 40299 Surge Guard Remote Power Monitor LCD Display w/Navigation ... so looks like I do not need to install the Progressive Industries unit. Too late to change anything as they built it last week and I should get it in about 35 days. Will see what it looks like and also do some more research on all this before making a decision.

FLSteve
FLSteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 07:51 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My 2019 DSDP had the builtin ats, and I installed the HW50C from progressive as well.

It did not cause any issues, and all functions work properly.

I will be doing the same with the LA.

The reason is the builtin ATS surge is a last defense, and much more difficult to repair.

My power cord feeds the auto former, which then feeds the hw50c, which then feeds the surge guard ats.
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote