Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2016, 02:42 PM   #1

Use of 50A Surge Protector with 30A Pigtail for 30A Shore Power

I recently experienced transfer switch problems while plugged into a 30A
shore power pedestal, using my 50A Surge Protector with a 30A Pigtail. I was informed by the service personnal that I should be using a 30A Surge
Protector instead. Am I to understand that using my 50A Surge
Protector with 30A shore power is improper and perhaps unsafe? Should
one, instead, have a second surge protecor for less than 50A shore power?
Thanks for any information helping to resolve this delemma.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2016, 02:53 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Those of us with hardwired 50 amp surge protectors do not change out when using 30 amp.

Progressive Industries' FAQ page says an adapter can be used with their surge protectors.

Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea

Q: Can I use an adapter and maintain full protection?
A: Yes. An adapter can be used and the RV will maintain full electrical and surge protection.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 03:03 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have always used my 50A surge when I have to plug into 30A, 20A or 15A. It works without fail.

The amperage has to do with how much power you are drawing. You should, if your system is not autosensing, set your shore power to the proper amperage for your circuit.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
unw1red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 03:30 PM   #4

Thanks unw1red and sdennislee for your input. That's good news...my
manual was not quickly available, so thought I'd pose the question to all
you folks. I'm on my way to finding and again searching through my manual. Thanks, again!
Old 07-07-2016, 03:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh37 View Post
shore power pedestal, using my 50A Surge Protector with a 30A Pigtail. I was informed by the service personnal that I should be using a 30A Surge

Hugh, which surge protector and what service personnel would be helpful.
But both the TRC and Progressive units are just find being place behind 30amp adapter
Indy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 04:38 PM   #6

Quote:
If they are correct then I have been doing it wrong for several years now. When home my 50A coach is always plugged onto 30A service with 50A Surge Protector with a 30A Pigtail. Be careful of service personnel they may have been working at Walmart last month. Not that there is anything wrong with working at Walmart. I had a service tech at a Fleetwood dealer tell me I needed a new slide motor 4 years ago, old one is still working fine.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:38 PM   #7

Indy54...I have the 50A TRC Surgeguard and the service personnel were
a mobile RV service, who came highly recommended.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:57 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Sometimes even service personnel need an education in what the devices they are talking about really do so they can give good advice. As many others have stated, using the 50A surge protector with a 30A pigtail adapter on a 30A outlet is fine, actually I'll bet you will get more line to neutral and line to ground surge protection than if you had used a 30A surge protector.

Here's the reason: In your 50A surge protector, each line has a bunch of MOV's (Metal Oxide Varistors) from line to neutral and line to ground. When you put the two lines in parallel with your 30A pigtail you double the surge suppression capacity (the MOV's are rated by joules of energy they can absorb).

Take a look at this spec sheet. The 50A version has 3580J vs 1790J, so when you use the 50A version with the 30A pigtail adapter you get twice the protection of the 30A.

If your surge protector has over and undervoltage protection the voltage sense works from line to neutral. In the above spec sheet the low and high voltage protection specs are 104V and 132V. You're equally well protected from high and low line regardless of which outlet type you plug into.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Indy54...I have the 50A TRC Surgeguard and the service personnel were
a mobile RV service, who came highly recommended.

Hate to hear that a trusted RV tech would give out such erroneous advise. As I think others have suggested, a quick 2 minute call to TRC would confirm what you're being told here. If you do call, and they advise that it is not ok to use a 30amp adapter on the 50 amp unit, please let us know.
Indy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 01:14 PM   #10

Indy54 and others...before calling TRC for answers regarding my 50A portable SurgeGuard Power Protector (Model 34850) I located my "Installation & Operating Instructions"...and they very clearly inform that it can be operated on a 120V/30A, 120V/20A, or 120V/15A power source. Good news! My unit was further described as having protection for over/under voltage or open neutral conditions. More Good news! Such was defined as protection that removes primary power from, for example, the coach when the voltage drops below 102V or above 132V (safe mode). Trust this info will be helpful to others. Thanks to all who responded.

Tags
power, shore power