RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2015, 03:59 PM   #1

Use of Exhaust brake

I have been experimenting with the exhaust brake, the High vs. Low setting. Anyone know the difference, they seem the same to me. Both cause some lurching during the deceleration... hard to get a smooth speed reduction.
Any ideas or tips on use???

dhlairbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2015, 04:45 PM   #2

How fast were you driving?

On hills?

You'll know the difference going down a 6% grade, fully loaded at 60 mph.

If you truly can't feel the difference, you have a problem. One of them is not working.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 04:48 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhlairbus View Post
I have been experimenting with the exhaust brake, the High vs. Low setting. Anyone know the difference, they seem the same to me. Both cause some lurching during the deceleration... hard to get a smooth speed reduction.
Is your brake a "Jake" brake or an exhaust brake; it is probably a "Jake" since you have a low and high setting. The low setting is active on 3 cylinders and the high is active on all 6 cylinders. I use mine on low when going down steep declines and switch to high if that doesn't slow MH down enough. Sometimes use when driving in city.
2011 Dutch Star #4344 - 2014 Buick Enclave W/Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar and base-plate
SMI Air Force One brake
Terry43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:06 PM   #4

As Terry43 states it probably is not a exhaust brake, but a compression or "jake" brake. I use mine in the low mode all the time and on 6% or greater grades will go to the high setting. In WY on a 6-7% ten mile downgrade I had the high mode on and had to use the accelerator to maintain 45 mph.
Use it and you will appreciate it. It will also save your service brakes.

Al Sawyer
'05 Mt. Aire
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:20 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
On our previous '02 DSDP all we had was the exhaust brake and it did help some but not real effective. Still better than nothing!
Now we have a three stage engine brake and Cummins says it generates up to 600 HP of braking force and I believe it as I very seldom use the high setting.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:33 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by allynne View Post
As Terry43 states it probably is not a exhaust brake, but a compression or "jake" brake. I use mine in the low mode all the time and on 6% or greater grades will go to the high setting. In WY on a 6-7% ten mile downgrade I had the high mode on and had to use the accelerator to maintain 45 mph.
Use it and you will appreciate it. It will also save your service brakes.

Al Sawyer
'05 Mt. Aire
I use mine in low all the time also. In the mountains I go to high depending on the grade and it's length.
X2 on saving the service brakes
Old 07-28-2015, 07:03 PM   #7

When it is set on the high setting does it slow the coach faster or at higher speeds. I have kept mine on low and never experimented with high setting
Gheidbrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gheidbrink View Post
When it is set on the high setting does it slow the coach faster or at higher speeds. I have kept mine on low and never experimented with high setting
Both exhaust brakes and engine brakes work best at high engine RPM.
If you a traveling at a speed that won't allow the transmission to down shift to a lower gear and achieve that higher RPM, 60+ MPH, the system will have little effect. High setting would work better but not at it's best.
My exhaust brake is most effective when I crest a summit at 45 mph and use the exhaust brake , the system will select a lower gear , 4th at that speed , and I keep the engine RPM between 2000 & 2500 to stay in that gear, below 2000 the trans will gear down another gear, over 2750 the trans will up shift and the exhaust brake effectiveness is gone.
Every engine and trans set up will have different RPM range where they are most effective, up to the driver to find out what works best.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:55 AM   #9

We are also new to this particular setup and have just left Colorado where we were back and forth to Grand Junction and Denver several times, so Mountain Passes and serious downgrades. Our initial trip has added about 4000 miles. For us, when we crest the grade, we engage the low compression brake and rarely if ever touch the brake again. We basically descend at 35 to 45 MPH. I use the high compression brake for off ramps and situations like that which is not to say that it may not be applicable to us the low compression brake in those same situations.
It seems us, that there is a considerable difference in the braking effect between high and low compression braking.
All the best to you,

Jeff and Lynn
Jeff426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:13 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is some information on driving and braking.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:00 AM   #11

If you have an ISL engine like we do on our 2014 Ventana the LOW position uses 3 of the 6 cylinders valves to slow you. In the HI position it uses all 6 of the cylinders valves. This is per the Camp Freightliner class I was in a week ago. You should feel a difference when using the HI vs LOW. This is a true engine break and not an exhaust brake. VERY effective in both helping you stop when approaching a red light for example and also when descending steep mountain grades!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhlairbus View Post
Old 07-29-2015, 08:18 AM   #12

Thanks everyone, all the info here much appreciated.
I am only on level ground so far, and only using it to slow for stops.
It works in both the high and low setting when foot is off the gas,
but the deceleration amount seems about the same.
I have noticed I can slow the coach considerably before having to use the regular brakes. When I do make a long trip to the hill country I will experiment some more.
dhlairbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:19 PM   #13

With the engine brake turned on the Allison starts down shifting everytime the throttle is released. Would it be an Allison adjustment or Cummins in order for the downshifting to start only after the service brake is activated?
This was done on my previous coach but I was at a Cat/Allison shop when I requested it and don't remember whether it was the engine or tranny fix.

Has anyone had the search gear changed from 2nd to maybe 3rd or 4th gear, and if so how do you like that arrangement? Sometimes it seems going after 2nd gear is just a little low geared.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:31 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
With the engine brake turned on the Allison starts down shifting everytime the throttle is released. Would it be an Allison adjustment or Cummins in order for the downshifting to start only after the service brake is activated?
This was done on my previous coach but I was at a Cat/Allison shop when I requested it and don't remember whether it was the engine or tranny fix.

Has anyone had the search gear changed from 2nd to maybe 3rd or 4th gear, and if so how do you like that arrangement? Sometimes it seems going after 2nd gear is just a little low geared.
Our 2000 Dutch Star had the CAT 3126. It was set to preselect 2nd and I had a CAT dealer reset it for 4th. I hated it and planned to have it changed back but we ordered the 2002 Dutch Star so I left it.
The option to turn the engine/exhaust brake on is in the Cummins programming on our rig. I just feather the throttle to keep it from coming on when I want to.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake