Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2021, 07:09 PM   #1

Used 2016 Ventana - Window Seal / Foam Questions

Hi,

I'm looking at purchasing a 2016 3709 VTDP. After seeing it in person, I'm not sure the previous owners kept on top of some of the maintenance. Mechanically they did, but it looks like it's not been washed and waxed very well (or ever) and is showing some age for being outside for 6 years or so. I've read quite a few threads on here about these windows, so I've been very concerned...

Anyway, the point is the windows were in worse shape than I thought. I know the frame-less windows are new on these coaches and most of the windows have this foam coming off in all 4 corners. (see picture). What's this foam for on the inside?

The big window over the dinette has two small panes that open up and they were contacting each other and wouldn't open unless you did both of them, so looks like the seal is so bad on those that the glass has slipped over and they are not lined up properly.

Half of the windows also have a haze over them, so I'm assuming that haze is the seal gone and if they were washed, or big temp change, they would fog up?

Looking for some more experienced folks to give me some feedback if it's worse the hassle, walk away, or negotiate the hell out of it... Is it even worth it if the dealer wants to fix it? Will they do a good job? They are a Newmar Dealer at least.

Any input is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210825_131348 (1).jpg
Views:	17
Size:	241.0 KB
ID:	340989   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210825_131344.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	279.4 KB
ID:	340990  

powerwoofs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2021, 07:53 PM   #2

Unless you are getting a great price for the Ventana, I think I would pass on this one. You said it looked like he took care of it mechanically, but unless he can furnish documentation I would be very careful. Just my thoughts since I haven’t seen the unit personally.
JMcG
2016 VTDP 3725
JMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 07:10 AM   #3

Your description of the coach so far has me thinking run away. It didn’t really indicate to me that this coach was well taken care of. It sounds like pane separation on the windows and if the seals are bad then possible water intrusion down through the walls. That could mean mold inside the walls.

I would look elsewhere.
ThunderRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 10:11 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Good used coaches are hard to find right now, especially Newmar’s. I would have it professionally inspected by a RVIA certified inspector, and then go from there.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 07:46 PM   #5

Thanks all for the replies. The comments about how they treated the exterior might be a good indicator for the rest of the coach is hitting home. It was being inspected today, but I in my gut, I don't think it's the one.

As a side note, anyone know what those the foam does around the inside of the window?
powerwoofs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seal, vent, ventana, wind, window