Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2021, 11:35 AM   #1
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Using a TPMS on the Lincoln Nautilus toad?

We just had LadyDi’s 2020 Lincoln Nautilus fitted with a Roadmaster base plate, Nighthawk tow bar and Demco AF-1 auxiliary brake system. The only thing left to do is get the EezTire TPMS to work on the Nautilus.

With our 2014 Honda CR-V, we changed out the valve stems to metal ones, added EezTire non-flow-through sensors and it worked flawlessly. The Nautilus has its own OEM TPMS, but it cannot be integrated with another system (at least, as far as I can determine). And, apparently, the rubber valve stems on the Nautilus are integrated into the OEM TPMS system, so can’t easily be changed out to metal.

I have been assured by EezTire that the transmit frequencies their sensors use are different from the Nautilus OEM TPMS, so there should not be an interference issue. My concern at this point is adding the sensors to the rubber valve stems.

Anyone out there have experience using external sensors on the Lincoln Nautilus? If so, I would really appreciate hearing about it. Thanks.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2021, 01:27 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Why would you expect a problem TJ?
They are completely different systems, and EEZ tire should work just as you described. I've had EEZ Tire for years with different toweds, and with both metal and rubber valve stems.
The factory tpms has the sensors internal to the wheel at the end of the valve stem, while the EEZ Tire is external. No problem...

Bill Bélanger
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 02:33 PM   #3
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelanger View Post
Why would you expect a problem TJ?
They are completely different systems, and EEZ tire should work just as you described. I've had EEZ Tire for years with different toweds, and with both metal and rubber valve stems.
The factory tpms has the sensors internal to the wheel at the end of the valve stem, while the EEZ Tire is external. No problem...

Bill Bélanger
Thanks, Bill. My concern was with the rubber valve stem but, apparently, that is not an issue. We used the EezTire sensors with rubber valve stems in the CR
-V for the first year, but our tire guy recommended using metal valve stems, so we switched. Maybe he just needed a few extra bucks.

Otherwise, I don’t anticipate any issues, but was interested if other Nautilus owners had dealt with this issue before me.

TJ
Old 05-05-2021, 02:59 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
Thanks, Bill. My concern was with the rubber valve stem but, apparently, that is not an issue. We used the EezTire sensors with rubber valve stems in the CR
-V for the first year, but our tire guy recommended using metal valve stems, so we switched. Maybe he just needed a few extra bucks.

Otherwise, I don’t anticipate any issues, but was interested if other Nautilus owners had dealt with this issue before me.

TJ
I had metal valve stems on my Jeep until I went into the desert rocks 4 wheeling and a rock broke one off. Replacing a 37" tire in the rocks convinced me rubber valve stems are the way to go...

Bill
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 03:15 PM   #5

I've had aftermarket non flow-through sensors on the Jeep rubber valve stems for three years. First Bellacorp and now TST with no problems. The rims are such that once screwed on, the sensors have minimal clearance to the stout rim stud opening so i doubt the stems could flex much and are somewhat guarded.

Of note however, I do not install the sensors unless I am towing and while on a trip. The rest of the time I store them in the glove box and replace the rubber valve stem caps.

Paul
StaRVGazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 03:24 PM   #6

We have the newest Eezee TPMS system on our Dutch star, and I just ordered 4 additional AT 618 sensors for a Ford Edge (recently bought as a toad). While the toad also has internal TPMS sensors on rubber stems, my concern with adding the additional sensors is at 60-65 mph, will the additional weight of external sensors bend/crack the rubber valve stems? Porsches capable of 175 mph plus come with steel valve stems to prevent stem bending at speed. I don’t know at what speed rubber valve stems start to bend, but my Ford edge will not be going more than 65 mph as that is the maximum tow speed. Anybody experience damaging any rubber valve stems with additional sensor weight?

Thanks I hope I’m not hijacking thread, I see it is all related

2015 Dutch Star 4369, Freightliner, 450 hp
clawsonbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 04:42 PM   #7
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsonbob View Post
We have the newest Eezee TPMS system on our Dutch star, and I just ordered 4 additional AT 618 sensors for a Ford Edge (recently bought as a toad). While the toad also has internal TPMS sensors on rubber stems, my concern with adding the additional sensors is at 60-65 mph, will the additional weight of external sensors bend/crack the rubber valve stems? Porsches capable of 175 mph plus come with steel valve stems to prevent stem bending at speed. I don’t know at what speed rubber valve stems start to bend, but my Ford edge will not be going more than 65 mph as that is the maximum tow speed. Anybody experience damaging any rubber valve stems with additional sensor weight?

Thanks I hope I’m not hijacking thread, I see it is all related
No worries about “hijacking the thread;” the strain on rubber valve stems was my concern as well. Between what I’m seeing online and comments here, it looks like it should be OK. As I noted above, we did it for the first year with the Honda CR-V and had no issues,

One thing that I’ve learned IS a problem is leaving the sensors on when you run the car through an automated car wash. Some folks have experienced breakage of the sensors when they contact the rails that keep the car centered when it moves through the wash bay. Easy enough to pull them off before going to the car wash...if this ol’ brain remembers.

I was hoping to hear first-hand experience from some Lincoln Nautilus owners just to confirm my thoughts.

TJ
Old 05-10-2021, 10:48 PM   #8
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We towed the 2020 Nautilus about 350 miles today and the EezTire TPMS functioned flawlessly with it. I will be checking the rubber valvestems closely for any issues, but so far, they seem to be doing fine.

I'm finding that the Nautilus is a little finicky about how you prepare it for towing. I had a few issues with the computer brains on the beast dictating what I could and couldn't do. Since everything on this vehicle is governed by a computer, you can't even open the trunk lid if it decides it doesn't like the idea.

I'm sure that with a bit of practice, I'll get it all figured out.

TJ
Old 05-11-2021, 08:20 AM   #9

Just a comment. EEZTire TPMS also measures temperature, and a metal valve stem transmits this much better than a rubber one. Our system alerted me to a sticking brake with an excess temperature alarm. This likely wasn't accurate to the degree but the sticking brake caliper heated the hub, then the wheel, and finally the sensor through the metal valve stem.

Quote:
.... but our tire guy recommended using metal valve stems, so we switched. Maybe he just needed a few extra bucks. ... TJ
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 04:11 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
[

TJ[/QUOTE]

That and a few slices of pineapple pizza…
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:23 PM   #11
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry davis View Post
[

TJ
That and a few slices of pineapple pizza…[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Jerry, it is getting sorted out. The mechanical procedure of preparing to tow the Nautilis isn't really that bad. The two major problems are (1) access to the Park Release cable and (2) that everything on the car is run by a computer and when its routing gets disrupted, everything goes south.

We did experience one potentially worrisome issue, but I think it is a simple wiring issue. We have a red indicator LED on the dash that is supposed to let us know when the toad brakes are applied. Part way through the trip down to Oregon, the indicator came on and wouldn't go off. I was afraid the brakes were being continuously applied. We pulled over and did a thorough check.

When the coach brake pedal is released, the toad brake pedal is also release. That made me feel better. Also, there was no noticeable heating of any of the wheels as there would be if the brakes were dragging. I think it is a problem in the switching circuit that triggers the indicator. I'll eventually find it.

TJ
Old 05-11-2021, 08:31 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
That and a few slices of pineapple pizza…
Yeah, Jerry, it is getting sorted out. The mechanical procedure of preparing to tow the Nautilis isn't really that bad. The two major problems are (1) access to the Park Release cable and (2) that everything on the car is run by a computer and when its routing gets disrupted, everything goes south.

We did experience one potentially worrisome issue, but I think it is a simple wiring issue. We have a red indicator LED on the dash that is supposed to let us know when the toad brakes are applied. Part way through the trip down to Oregon, the indicator came on and wouldn't go off. I was afraid the brakes were being continuously applied. We pulled over and did a thorough check.

When the coach brake pedal is released, the toad brake pedal is also release. That made me feel better. Also, there was no noticeable heating of any of the wheels as there would be if the brakes were dragging. I think it is a problem in the switching circuit that triggers the indicator. I'll eventually find it.

TJ[/QUOTE]

Bet it’s beautiful at Flathead right now…..jealous here👍😁👍😁
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:59 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
TJ,

The LED staying lit on your dashboard is probably being caused by the reed switch affixed to the air cylinder. The air cylinder is attached to the Nautilus brake pedal.
If your installer provided you with the AF-1 install instructions there is a procedure for adjusting the placement of the reed switch. Fine standard screwdriver, loosen screw holding switch on to cylinder and adjust approximately 1/16" and check for proper LED operation. Install manual will tell you which way to move the switch per your particular situation.

Wife has a 2019 Nautilus and loves it. We decided on a 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk for toad and I installed all the hardware and AF-1. Had to adjust the reed switch accordingly. Upon initial operation of AF-1 I had your same issue.
wsklywabt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:16 PM   #14
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry davis View Post

TJ
Bet it’s beautiful at Flathead right now…..jealous here��������[/QUOTE]

We hope to be at our Polson site on Friday or Saturday. Currently, we are at Guaranty RV in Junction City, OR, getting some work done on the coach. They should finish up tomorrow and we'll head over to Spokane on Thursday for a short visit with friends and then on to Polson.

My frustration with trying to get our step fixed and working correctly finally boiled over and I had Sherry at Guaranty order an entire new step assembly and have it shipped out from Nappanee...at full Newmar retail plus and a stiff express shipping charge.

Newmar caused the step problem in the first place by hitting it with a pressure washer while looking for a water leak into the forward passenger-side cargo bay. It started malfunctioning the next day when we headed home from Nappanee.

We returned back to Nappanee the next day and Newmar replaced the step controller under warranty. That worked for a couple of months and then the malfunctioning returned. By then, we were a couple of months beyond the one-year warranty period and Newmar just walked away from the problem.

I have been a strong Newmar supporter, but that left a sour taste in my mouth. Spending several thousand dollars of my own money to try and actually fix the problem hasn't improved the taste!

TJ

Tags
toad, tpms