Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2015, 07:36 AM   #1

Using coach compressed air for tire inflation

We went north for 10 days and before returning I had to add air since temps were much cooler. I used my old compressor that I carry but I assume one can tap into the coach air system and use that also. Question I have is steer tires need 130 so PSI setting on filling system will have to be higher. As per the needle gauge on the dash primary & secondary tank seem to be set to about 125-130 max I doubt that would be high enough to fill. What source do you use to top off tires and if it's the on board compressor have you adjusted the regulator to make higher PSI? Thanks
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2015, 07:40 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The one time I've needed air, I filled at the fuel stop... Flying J, while fuel prices are elevated a bit, real easy for air, etc...
Old 10-07-2015, 08:03 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
We went north for 10 days and before returning I had to add air since temps were much cooler. I used my old compressor that I carry but I assume one can tap into the coach air system and use that also. Question I have is steer tires need 130 so PSI setting on filling system will have to be higher. As per the needle gauge on the dash primary & secondary tank seem to be set to about 125-130 max I doubt that would be high enough to fill. What source do you use to top off tires and if it's the on board compressor have you adjusted the regulator to make higher PSI? Thanks
Are you certain about that pressure? Most of us have weighed our coaches and run the tire pressure that the MFG recommends appropriate for that weight (per axle). That is usually less than 110 psi, and the onboard pump can easily supply that. If 130 psi is what you need, then there are small portable compressors that will get up to 150 psi.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:05 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
Get it weighed. You will find that your steer pressures will be closer to 110-115 and your rears will be 85-90.

That being said the coach will supply about 120 but you will have sore arms from holding the hose on the valve for the time it will take to get to 115 lbs. in one tire let alone two.

Stop by a truck tire store or even a Cummins dealer and ask nicely. $20 tip and you can get everything right where you want it.

But weight the coach so you know what you have and use the Michelin tire pressure chart. 130 is the max for the max load and you aren't there. That is 9K plus on each steer which would be 18k for the front axle and you are probably under 8k per side. Use the highest number across the axle. So if one side is 8k and the other is 7.5k you would use the 8k number and thus 115-120 psi on both steer wheels.

The rears will be close to 8-9k per side on the dual. So if you share that between the two tires you are under the min weight and pressure on the chart. So the min recommended psi on that tire is 80 psi so 90 would be good and a little better fuel mileage.

Tags are going to be around 3.5k per side. 80 -90 psi.

These are the numbers for my coach a 2015 4369 so you should be close. Also if you call customer service at Newmar and give them your serial number they can give you the weights on each wheel the day it left the plant with full fuel.

Good luck.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:14 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi twojayhawks,
I have an 18 gallon tank and compressor in the basement. It provides 150 PSI at the hose. Bought a couple of long hoses. When the G'kids went with us I was the hit of the CG. Besides the coach and toad tires, that compressor would fill just about anything requiring air PSI in no time at all.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:36 AM   #6

Quote:
$20 tip
What happened to "FREE AIR"

If your tyre pressures are 110psi or less, you can use the on-board system, but only by wasting air to force the compressor to kick back in once the tank pressure drops below your target tyre pressure. Then you get a bit of time to feed in air before having to repeat the process. Bit of a pain but doable.

Never going to hurt to drive for a few miles until you get to a truck stop, but of course then you will have to allow for the increase in tyre pressure from heat induced by driving.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:18 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Strongly recommend this product. RV'ing is about convenience to:

http://www.amazon.com/VIAIR-Automati...air+compressor
Old 10-07-2015, 09:56 AM   #8
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
We use a compressor like the one in the following link when it was sold by Sears(Craftsman). Pumps our front tires to 110 and the rears to 105 easily and stores in one of the outside compartments. I carry (2) 25ft ext cords and will fire up the genie for power if needed on the road and not already in a cg somewhere.
http://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-C...air+compressor
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
We use a compressor like the one in the following link when it was sold by Sears(Craftsman). Pumps our front tires to 110 and the rears to 105 easily and stores in one of the outside compartments. I carry (2) 25ft ext cords and will fire up the genie for power if needed on the road and not already in a cg somewhere.
Amazon.com: PORTER-CABLE CMB15 150 PSI 1.5 Gallon Oil-Free Fully Shrouded Compressor: Home Improvement

Too funny that is exactly the old one I carry also. Except because it was Craftsman mine is red. If I only need to carry 110-120 in the steer tires this ought to work fine. Even though I had it regulated all the way up to 150 it still didn't quite have the guts to get me inflated to 130.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:32 PM   #10

They do make a unit I believe is called a duplicator. It doubles whatever you put in 90 in 180 out. It is a little slower but effective. I would have called it a multiplier but I believe that the tech called a duplicator. It came with my first used coach.
I believe it would be cheaper to buy a compressor but this takes up a lot less room.
Steve Mosher
Smosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 02:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smosher View Post
They do make a unit I believe is called a duplicator. It doubles whatever you put in 90 in 180 out. It is a little slower but effective. I would have called it a multiplier but I believe that the tech called a duplicator. It came with my first used coach.
I believe it would be cheaper to buy a compressor but this takes up a lot less room.
Steve Mosher

I bought one of these from a guy who sold his coach. Bob Dickman Tire sells a model that is built into a Pelican case. They work great and are smaller than any heavy duty compressor.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 02:43 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You really need closer to 150 PSI or more to inflate 130 PSI tires however... In an emergency I would not object to a slow low pressure run.. Just slow to the nearest Truck Stop .

There is I suspect a pressure multipler for air systems,, I mean the design is simple.. I just do not know where you might fine one.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Chianese View Post
Get it weighed. You will find that your steer pressures will be closer to 110-115 and your rears will be 85-90.

That being said the coach will supply about 120 but you will have sore arms from holding the hose on the valve for the time it will take to get to 115 lbs. in one tire let alone two.

Stop by a truck tire store or even a Cummins dealer and ask nicely. $20 tip and you can get everything right where you want it.

But weight the coach so you know what you have and use the Michelin tire pressure chart. 130 is the max for the max load and you aren't there. That is 9K plus on each steer which would be 18k for the front axle and you are probably under 8k per side. Use the highest number across the axle. So if one side is 8k and the other is 7.5k you would use the 8k number and thus 115-120 psi on both steer wheels.

The rears will be close to 8-9k per side on the dual. So if you share that between the two tires you are under the min weight and pressure on the chart. So the min recommended psi on that tire is 80 psi so 90 would be good and a little better fuel mileage.

Tags are going to be around 3.5k per side. 80 -90 psi.

These are the numbers for my coach a 2015 4369 so you should be close. Also if you call customer service at Newmar and give them your serial number they can give you the weights on each wheel the day it left the plant with full fuel.

Good luck.
Thanks for all the good info. I was remiss in getting weighed but I'll make time for it soon
Old 10-07-2015, 04:13 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Our tire pressures are 110, 90, 80. Carry a porter cable pancake compressor. Works well. Space is not an issue.