Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2020, 08:50 PM   #29
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Do u mean to actually unplug the Hopper to avoid possibility of damage when in transit or would making sure it's turned off be sufficient?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann n Gene View Post
I don’t think that is the reason, your arc is totally dependent on your physical location at the time you are using it. Dish does not want their hoppers in an RV because of the possibility of the hard drive not being “parked” when in motion. Hit a bump and the hard drive is ruined. Remove power to it before moving and it lockes the hard drive in place to prevent damage. Buy one yourself and they will activate it on your account and don’t care if you put it in by your RV. All JMHO
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2020, 08:53 PM   #30

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftharrisiii View Post
I use the My Dish app all the time to change my location. I haven’t called or chatted with Dish in quite some time.

The procedure I follow is once I setup camp in a new location, I turn on the Travel’r dish and access the satellites. Once the 110, 119, and 129 satellites are locked, I turn on the TV and boot up the Hopper 3. I then go to the Hopper 3 diagnostics screen.

Next I open the My Dish app on my phone and go to the “On the Road Again” option and select “Manage Locals”. The app states that you need to ensure your Dish receiver, antenna, and TV are setup at your new location and powered on. Select “Ok, Got it” and the app finds you using your phone’s GPS signal. After showing you the new locals, it asks you to enter the Secure ID (4th line down) from the Hopper 3 diagnostics screen. Type in the Secure ID, hit enter and, if successful, you will have the new local channels in about 5 minutes.

Before recently upgrading to a Hopper 3, I used the same procedure on a Hopper 2. This is a whole lot easier than the old procedure.
Do you have residential AND outdoor service??

I have been told that if you also have your receivers on a residential + RV account you have to use the Text or call agent to change locations??
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:39 PM   #31

Yes, or put it on a power strip that you can turn off according to the dish technical service guy that I talked to. He claimed it curb turn itself on at times when it has power. I guessed it was cya in case you had something scheduled to record and it came on trying to record it. My 612s will do that do I have to turn the power strip off to park the hard drive before we move.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:15 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul65k View Post
I have been told that if you also have your receivers on a residential + RV account you have to use the Text or call agent to change locations??
I've had a DISH Hopper in my RV since 2012, and use the "chat" feature in my my.dish.com account. Takes a few minutes to connect with a TSR to get my locals changed. Then another 15 minutes or so for the changes to take effect.

Granted, the app is handier, but chat is fast and usually works just fine.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:17 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
Do u mean to actually unplug the Hopper to avoid possibility of damage when in transit or would making sure it's turned off be sufficient?
Yes. I've already had a Hopper 3 go south because of a hard drive failure. Unplug it when you travel.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:36 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul65k View Post
Do you have residential AND outdoor service??

I do not have residential service so unfortunately I cannot answer your questions. I've had Dish in my RV for about 4 years. I purchased and installed all my Dish equipment and have never had any interactions with a Dish Technician. When I have an equipment failure I buy a replacement. That's why I recently upgraded from a Hopper 2 to a Hopper 3. I also had to purchase and install a second Winegard Travel'r after I ripped the first one off the roof when I forgot to stow it.

In addition to the roof mounted Winegard Travel'r I also carry a tripod mounted open face dish for the locations where Trees or obstructions prevent me from getting a signal with the Winegard Travel'r.

I currently have my Hopper 3 and the Joey's temporarily setup in the S&B and am using the tripod mounted Dish for service until we head out on our next trip later this Summer.

I do turn off power to the Hopper 3 and DPH 42 switch when traveling using a switched plug strip.
ftharrisiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 06:39 AM   #35
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Thank u for the explanation. The power strip would be convenient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann n Gene View Post
Yes, or put it on a power strip that you can turn off according to the dish technical service guy that I talked to. He claimed it curb turn itself on at times when it has power. I guessed it was cya in case you had something scheduled to record and it came on trying to record it. My 612s will do that do I have to turn the power strip off to park the hard drive before we move.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 03:01 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwyble View Post
We are looking at switching to Dish at home and also using it in the RV. Reading the posts here some people use the same receiver and just move it from home to RV. I assume this is partly to maintain shows recorded on the Wally. I also heard this can have connectivity challenges. Others seem to favor having separate Wallys and using the $7/month plan that you can turn on and off.

Having separate receivers does make some sense to me. My question is about recorded shows. If I add a hard drive to the home Wally, can I just move the hard drive to the RV Wally and have all our recorded shows? This would give us the best of both worlds.
I use dish anywhere. as long as I have internet I can watch anything on my dish tv. So far I have been able to use it just about everywhere. if the park does not have wifi I use my hotspot on my phone. so far I've been able to watch everything I could watch at home.
TonyinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 03:50 PM   #37

We have Dish at home with a Hopper three and a Joey. For the RV we have the Dome in motion Dish and one Wally. I attached a USB Wi-Fi dongle, OTA (over the air) dongle and 2 GB external hard drive (bought the four port USB adapter from Dish to accommodate the additional USB devices). This way we can record on the Wally in the RV and keep our Hopper at home recording all of our local stations as usual. I also added a Amazon Fire TV and installed the Dish Anywhere app on it so we can watch anything from our DVR at home. This way we have the ability to watch all of the many shows that we record at home and watch them anytime we want if we don’t have something that we can watch on the Wally in the RV. YMMV....
Scrippslarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 03:57 PM   #38

Using Dish Network in an RV

Just a word of caution.
We use a Hopper 3 at home and record ALL programs of interest and jump through the commercials. In our RV we use a Wally with a hard drive and add it to our account when we travel. That allows us to watch anything on the road that we watch at home. Most trips have been within the 250 mile limit so we have not had to call and change positions.
When we traveled further away from home and changed positions it also changed our house receiver as it was on the same account. So our recording schedule did not work at all.
RV8411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 04:03 PM   #39

We have DISH in both home and RV but seldom use the one in the RV. If we watch recorded shows we use DISHANYWHERE on our laptop or phone and use the mirror app to send it to the TV. No extra charge for that. Actually thinking about getting rid of the receiver in the RV and using DISHANYWHERE for everything.

2016 Newmar Ventana
Fly'n Paws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 04:11 PM   #40

I use a Hopper 3 and a wireless Joey. Moved from house to coach when traveling until we sold the house. Nobody used the house while we were on the road so why keep the service there? I lime having the ability to record multiple shows at once. Never have to worry about overlapping shows. If I want to watch something my wife doesn’t like I can use the Joey in the bedroom. We use it with a RF Mogul dish which has the hybrid LNB already built in. When we move locations, changing the locals received is covered by a quick chat session where I use a pre-formatted template. Rarely takes more than 5 minutes. My big dish gets reception a lot of places a dome would never work.
Old 06-11-2020, 04:20 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzly03 View Post
...The only part I don't like is having to call DISH every time we change locations to change the service address. Last time it took 3 phone calls and 45 minutes to accomplish. I can't understand why you can't do it with the MY DISH or DISH ANYWHERE app.

But the operation is excellent.

Why do you have to call DISH? My RV Dish works just about anywhere - not so well in Alaska. My home base is in California.
jrpend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 04:22 PM   #42

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommar View Post
Why have a home Wally? I tried DirecTV a few years back and just hated it. So went back to Dish. DirecTV is only available in SD when using an automatic satellite antenna excluding Traveler. At home, it's a Hopper3. In the RV, it's a Wally. Thinking about the add-on DVR option so I cab pause, rewind the show I'm watching. I'm aware of the add-on DVR's limitations. So in any case, I'd recommend Hopper3 in the sticks n' bricks and the Wally in the MH. If you have a Traveler you might be able to move the Hopper between home and MH, but not 100% on that.
I was told today by Dish if I move my hopper three from my house to the RV and turn it on wherever I am at when they send a signal to the hopper three they will discontinue my service don’t know if that’s true or not
jimpav is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish