RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2012, 01:29 PM   #1

Using iPad with MH stereo

Not brilliant with technology but trying! We have downloaded music onto our iPad and now want to be able to plug the iPad into our enhanced stereo system on our Baystar. Is the plug in on the back or ???

picaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2012, 01:33 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
More details needed! The audio out on the iPad is 1/8" stereo. You'll need a cable to go from that to whatever audio in you have on the 'enhanced stereo system.'

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:09 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Depends on the radio in the coach. Our 2008 Canyon Star's radio has an input but you need a special adapter cable so we never used it. We use the Aux input on the Sony DVD audio system and a male to male 1/8" stereo cable.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:48 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I used a cable like this when I was adding I-PAD to my sound system found in Quick Tips.
You may need something similar but with two 1/8" plugs.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:32 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
You can run a cable such as you have --speaker out to audio in from the iPad to the sound system. The sound system should have an aux in or something like that. I have the Sony and that's what it does. I recommend a long cable of say 6' or so so that you can put the iPad somewhere safe. Also, in case you didn't know it--you need to make sure your cable is firmly placed into the phone out jack of the iPad so that the sound is muted--I found this out the hard way...

I use an iPod in my stereo system and it rocks!!

Jeff
The-fishers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:52 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Depending on your dash radio there are several options for feeding music from the I-Pad to the Radio, Some work better, one can cause issues, if it does choose another.

First: IF the radio has an "AUX IN" this is usually a 1/8" mini stero phone plug... (Like the h eadphone/external speaker jack on the I-Pad) most electronics stores, Best Buy, Frys Radio Shack et-al, will have the double male patch cord. Very common, this is the best quality feed. HOWEVER..... In some cases if you plug the I-pad into a car-power adapter it will cause issues.. Solution 1. Run the I-pad on internal batteries or on 120 vac via an inverter.

Option 2: Vintage radios with built in cassette player.. I have the adapter in stock and can send it to you Just send me a check for whatever the postage stamp is after you get it. (I'm not kidding that's all it's worth) if you are near me it's yours, I'm not selling it, Just handing it over (Assuming I can find it). Some stores still cary them.

Finally, there is the I-Rock or I-beam or simular adapters.. These are small Stereo FM radio transmitters, they come with the plug to match the I-pad/device, and transmit on either a variable frequency or one of several fixed frequencies.. As I recall the I-Rock runs on a pair of AA or AAA batteries, and the I-Beam has the option of a car cord.

again with any device that uses your vehicle's power if the I-Pad is also using vehicle power you can have a problem... Run one or the other on batteries to cure it.

The problem is noise by the way.

Now, finally.. Most of the dash radios sold today, either have the AUX-IN jack as described above or have some kind of rear panel jack, the details of this jack will very from make to make,, Kenwood for example has a round multi pin plug, Pioneer it looks more like a phone or lan jack.. They sell assorted things that plug into said jack.

A multi-disc CD changer

A Satellite Radio Receiver

An "External Input" (AUX IN) device.

On the Pioneer, the first two have daisy chain jacks so you can plug in all 3.

Then (you will need the fine manual for this) you go into the menus and turn on the device, select it and feed away.

Last Sunday. I had a recording of a radio broadcast on Mini-Disc,, I popped it in my Sharp MT-15 and plugged that into the aux-in device on my Pioneer.. We enjoied some very good classical music (FIrebird suite as performed by the Detroit Symphony) as we went to church.. It is how I do it.

If I really wanted to get fancy.. I got the hardware.. but alas I won't even describe that (IE: Mix the audio out from the computer running Streets and Trips with the Mini-Disc player or other device.. I can do that. but that's because I used to be my daughter's recordign engineer so I have the very nice stuff to do it with)
Old 10-01-2014, 11:03 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Picaro: I bought this (Miccus Mini-jack TX: Bluetooth Music Transmitter) to work on our boat and be able to play from our iPhone or iPad (radio c/d payer was in the the head below deck) It works off of Bluetooth from iphone or ipad. Now we use it in our MH connected to the sterio unit and it works great. Now we listen to surround sound while we drive. NO CABLES.... DW can control from her captain seat all the music from her iPhone. Amazon $33.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:35 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
If your Baystar audio system has bluetooth you can connect that way. I connect both my iPad and iPhone to my in dash audio system in our Ventana and play music all the time. Works great!

KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote