Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2013, 11:38 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
May be on your DSDP but not on the OP's Bay Star.
On my 2010 Baystar the slides will not function when the key is on....

I do not use the locks and have never seen the slides move even a mm.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2013, 08:37 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMXDave View Post
I do not use the locks and have never seen the slides move even a mm.
The only slides I have ever heard of creeping out are hydraulic systems. With Newmar's mechanical/electrical set-up it would be highly unlikely.
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:55 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Camper Ken,
I use all the locks. Yep, even climb over the bed to lock the rear slide locks. The locks make the slides part of the wall of the coach. The slides (on my coach) aren't going anywhere when the motor is running. However, having the locks engaged, for me, provides a more secure mechanical structure than if the slide is left sitting, independent of the walls, on its rails.
X2, as a force of habit, I lock all slide before traveling.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:11 AM   #18

I agree with most that the mechanical slides are not prone to moving on their own but I do use the lock on mine as it gives me a place to hang the slide operation key once the slide is in. I don't lose the key and it makes me remember to take the lock out when I retrieve the key. Takes 30 seconds and gives me peace of mind.
Cobra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:15 AM   #19

Freightliner Owners Club
A worm-gear arrangement cannot be driven backwards, i.e. the slide cannot open due to centrifugal force and spin the drive motor. If your Newmar - or any rig - uses a worm-gear in the slide mechanicals, the manual locks could most likely be considered redundant.
mbrandt1402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:36 PM   #20

This is just something to think about that I read on a similar post about this very same question some time back. What if for some reason your battery connection came off, a loose connection and then hit a bad bump or an accident (no matter how big or small) If you lost power to the slide out motors would there be anything keeping the slides in if you hadn't locked the manual locks? Lets hear others thoughts. Thanks!
yes2baystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:03 PM   #21

Our allstar has them and we did not use them when we first got our RV. Then while driving down from Mount Rushmore our side started moving in and out with each turn before I could find a place to stop... Turned out the motor had broken away from its mounts and was rotating with the shaft.

The motor is attached to the plate with 4 bolts all of the bolts where happily attached to there little chunk of metal that had ripped away from the surface of the motor. My guess is the pot steel had become weak over time due to having to support the tremendous amount of force the side exerts on the motor while going down the road without the locks set.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2760232859.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	310.5 KB
ID:	35042   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-706523206.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	349.4 KB
ID:	35043  

Bryantclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:40 PM   #22

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by yes2baystar View Post
This is just something to think about that I read on a similar post about this very same question some time back. What if for some reason your battery connection came off, a loose connection and then hit a bad bump or an accident (no matter how big or small) If you lost power to the slide out motors would there be anything keeping the slides in if you hadn't locked the manual locks? Lets hear others thoughts. Thanks!
While it is conceivable that a mechanism could be designed and built that would monitor the position of the slide and energize the motor to re-close it, I've not heard of any designs that incorporate that.

When your slide is retracted, power is cut to the motor. Losing power to the circuit would have no effect.
mbrandt1402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:34 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrandt1402 View Post
A worm-gear arrangement cannot be driven backwards, i.e. the slide cannot open due to centrifugal force and spin the drive motor. If your Newmar - or any rig - uses a worm-gear in the slide mechanicals, the manual locks could most likely be considered redundant.

The Newmar slides are driven by 12v electric motors
they turn a touqued bar to the gear driven slide rails.
Now as Shaun post#21 has pointed out with the motor mount rusted bolts coming loose his slide had started to move out on him with locks not engaged.
Now some people say well that will not happen because their motor mounts will not rust because motors are enclosed in the compartments not like motors in older coach's mounted behind the LP gas tank.
The slides have locks for reasons as GaryKD pointed out in his post and I will add a what if for some reason a torque nut some how released and bar that holds everything in place to bar rails was now able to turn from pressures exerted on slides while cornering the coach while driving.
Or if you were in a accident as I was and someone tapped your right front bumper after passing on right, cutting in front of you forcing the coach to suddenly be forced to left with you trying to keep coach under control from hitting vehicles passing you on left or hitting Jersey barriers.
They are all what ifs but they could happen, stuff happens as they say.
So I enjoy the ride in my coach as GaryKD does and coach is in a locked down condition structurally with very little movement of slides and no what ifs.
Just to add think of what the new owners of full wall slides may have to put up with, plus with a refrigerator on slide in some models.
Newmar designed the first slide systems, have been in this business for some time, they have had locks on slides since designing, whether manual or new electric locks, they must mean something for safety reasons.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:59 AM   #24

Dont want to hijack thread. Am looking at new ventana and it lists mechanical lock arms on three slideouts for $ 2772. If I dont order that item does the unit come without lock arms?
channelsyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:13 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would say Newmar would put on the manual arms to lock slides to the sidewall indentation and seal the seals so water or any other elements can not enter.
You can call service center tomorrow to verify.

If you want info for your benefit ask questions on a new thread and your question will not get lost in some one else thread..
Old 03-17-2013, 09:45 AM   #26

I always use mine and over the years have only bent 1 arm.Forgetting they were on when puttting out slide,I now cover switch with velcro when they are on.
greezykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:25 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by greezykid View Post
I always use mine and over the years have only bent 1 arm.Forgetting they were on when puttting out slide,I now cover switch with velcro when they are on.
I've had my Ventana about a month and I've been trying to come up with a creative way to remind myself that the slide arms are locked. I've already tried to operate the slides while locked and fortunately was paying attention and stopped immediately. I've thought of the velcro idea, the swim noodle is interesting if I remember to look that way, red electrical tape on the switches would work but it's pretty low tech... I want something better. I'm wondering about a hinged cover over the switches. Any ideas out there?

Don't mean to hijack. I think my question ties in with the bent arms and I'm afraid they might be in my future if I don't come up with an idea.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:00 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Something like this may help found in QT's 1 & 2.