Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2015, 08:16 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Using the air in my brake system

I have a 2014 Dutch Star 3736. Can I access the brakes compressed air to use to fill up tires and such?
jameshawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2015, 08:19 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Yes. There's a female air connector up front by the generator, and another in back in the engine compartment. There should also be male fittings cable-tied to a strut in both places, so you have the matching size. You just need an air hose and tire valve fitting.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:46 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver
Yes. There's a female air connector up front by the generator, and another in back in the engine compartment. There should also be male fittings cable-tied to a strut in both places, so you have the matching size. You just need an air hose and tire valve fitting.
What FlyingDiver said is important. Our 2012 DSDP 3734 air manifold is located on the front firewall above the generator towards the drivers side. Our coach was delivered without a matching male connector. I discovered this, when the coach had to be towed 50+ miles on late Sunday afternoon in Northern Michigan. This where the tow operator will connect his air system to the coach to keep the air suspension inflated when being towed. I also learned that day that not all tow operators carry all fitting-- at least this operator did not. Fortunately, we did find a fitting that worked in the bottom of my tool box. Now, I have the appropriate male fitting with both male and female hose end connections tie wrapped to the compressed air manifold, just in case. If you search on the forum, you will find several threads about making a tire pressure rig, that will allow you to blow- off enough air to have the engine driven compressor kick back on to build air pressure back up to max. This makes filling the tires faster and easier. I carry this rig along with a 50' rubber airline and it has been very handy.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:39 AM   #4

I replaced the female fitting with an universal female fitting, available at Home Depot.

After 20 years in autobody, they have been the only universal that last. All my air tools now have different ends and it doesn't matter.

1/4 in. FNPT x 1/4 in. Brass Universal Coupler-13514HOM - The Home Depot

The o fitting under the hood up front, I cover in a plastic bag. I also use it to back fill my air tanks from the pancake compressor.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
I also use it to back fill my air tanks from the pancake compressor.
Can you expand on that?
99phantoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 11:56 AM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I added a permanent (coiled) air hose to mine. You can see it on the right, yellow hose.

The downside is that the tanks are small and drain quickly. You need to have the engine running to get reasonable use.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:05 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshawk View Post
I have a 2014 Dutch Star 3736. Can I access the brakes compressed air to use to fill up tires and such?
One thing to be aware of is that your coach air pressure will change between 75 - 125 PSI.
The compressor kicks in at 75 PSI and stops at 125 PSI.
So to inflate your tires, you need to be sure the air pressure is higher than the tire pressure...or you will actually be deflating your tires.
There are several posts which show an air gauge on the end of the air hose to show the tank pressure.
the trick is to let air out of the coach system until the compressor kicks in, and as soon as the pressure is higher than your tire pressure, start inflating.

regards,

Dan
Old 02-19-2015, 12:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99phantoms View Post
Can you expand on that?

If I have my coach inside or if we're planning on leaving early in the morning, where a 5 min high idle will be a "issue".

I hook the hose from my pancake compress (110 volt) up and prefill the coach tanks.

Then I can pull outside/away from the area as quickly/quietly as possible.

Tow companies and trucking companies do it, that's where I learned it.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
If I have my coach inside or if we're planning on leaving early in the morning, where a 5 min high idle will be a "issue".

I hook the hose from my pancake compress (110 volt) up and prefill the coach tanks.

Then I can pull outside/away from the area as quickly/quietly as possible.

Tow companies and trucking companies do it, that's where I learned it.
Thank you for this tidbit. I use a piece of 4" Dryer vent to extend outside my garage but always end up with Diesel smell. I'll give this a whirl.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:43 PM   #10

It makes a huge difference.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I added a permanent (coiled) air hose to mine. You can see it on the right, yellow hose.

The downside is that the tanks are small and drain quickly. You need to have the engine running to get reasonable use.

I don't see a problem with adding an air hose to the air brake system when needed to inflate the tires as long as you disconnect the air hose when you are done. If you are travelling down the road with that air hose connected, it will swag up and down, side to side and eventually fail resulting in a slow to a rapid air loss. Depending on how rapid the loss of air happens, you may have time to stop before the maxibrakes come on.

Gaetan
Old 02-19-2015, 09:56 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Good point, but the air nozzle is secured and the air connection has an ON/OFF valve, so no issues there. You can zoom in on the photo and see it.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 05:49 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
Does anyone know if the air goes thru the dryer if back feeding the air line with a compressor? Not wanting to start a debate just curious as we have done this prior to fill the bags and blocking to work under.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:35 AM   #14

It does not, that would involve tapping into the line ahead of the air dryer. It would work, but only for putting air in. No air would come out past the check valves.

As long as you drain your tanks every month or so, the little compressor won`t do any harm.

Enjoy
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake