Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2016, 02:42 PM   #1

Using the new style floor protector pads withoout the lip

I'm trying to get the hang of using a couple of the new style floor protector pads that don't have the lip on one end but about half the time the roller pushes the pad out of the way as the room comes in. I've been having to stand on one of the pads as the wife retracts the room but kind of hard to reach both of them I'm using. One of the days when the tech returned the coach in the afternoon the roller had pushed the pad completely out of the way and the roller was completely on the tile.

Has anyone else tried to use them, and if so did you arrive at a secret procedure to keep it in place as the room comes in? Kind of hard to stand on all 9 of them if trying to use that many.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2016, 03:34 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I wish I had a better answer but...

It is like whack-a-mole. When we use them sometimes any or all want to slide as the room is moved in.

What we do is start to bring in the slide until the rollers are just on the tile. I then put the guards in place with the sharp end of the guard jammed under the roller. After that Sandee re-starts bringing in the slide out. Sometimes only 1 or 2 guards slips and other times more. When they slide you can sometimes put a foot on them near the edge of the slide out and that gets them to stick. Other times I get on my knees and use my hands to stop the bowing.

The bottom of the guards are not sticky enough for our floors to provide much friction. Maybe on other flooring materials they have a more sticky affect. However, once the rollers get on top of the guards they seem to hold their place.

We are lucky it is only 5 rollers since we are not FWS.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 04:32 PM   #3

I've tried just about everything you have, sometimes it works other times not so. I asked one of the techs at Nappanee just where was the best position for the slopped end of the pad and all I got was to place it just where the roller rides up on top. Didn't help much. Seems the engineers don't really care what troubles the new pads cause, at least now they don't have to replace any broken ones.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:30 PM   #4

They don't work well at all, and, in my opinion, never will. Best answer is to use non-skid rubber place mat material. Wash them every few uses and they grab the floor real well.

I thought the black pads were a great idea, until about two uses.

Peter
Old 05-26-2016, 06:48 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Tried to use the long mats when I was at Camp Newmar, but had issues with them holding. One of the techs told me to just use the placemats in the area where the rollers would stop. Works like a charm, much cheaper and no scratched tile (ours are vinyl) from the flexing/movement of the rollers when the coach is rolling down the highway.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:45 PM   #6

We have them.we marked the bottom of the rug area to remember where they go. They are pushed under the rug edge. So far no movement at Newmar or on the way home
FapInJax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 02:44 AM   #7

Would a couple small pieces of duct tape parallel to the edges work? I have never seen one of the protectors.
Steady_Rest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 07:29 AM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Masking tape.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:42 AM   #9

I gave up and use Scotch Tough No Residue Duct Tape. Easy to remove. It has to say no residue on the label. It's black tape and I leave it down for 1 night stays.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:49 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My experience is that once the rollers get on top of the guard that the guards don't move. It is when the roller is trying to roll over the tip they slide.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 02:17 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
They don't work well at all, and, in my opinion, never will. Best answer is to use non-skid rubber place mat material. Wash them every few uses and they grab the floor real well.

I thought the black pads were a great idea, until about two uses.

Peter

Lug_nut, can you provide a link to the type of placemat you use?
Tomp4801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 03:07 PM   #12

I don't recall exactly where we bought them, perhaps Camping World. Basically they were non=skid table place mats. Also, places like Home Depot may sell a similar product by the yard. It works as good as anything.

Peter
Old 05-28-2016, 04:33 PM   #13
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
I'm trying to get the hang of using a couple of the new style floor protector pads that don't have the lip on one end but about half the time the roller pushes the pad out of the way as the room comes in. I've been having to stand on one of the pads as the wife retracts the room but kind of hard to reach both of them I'm using. One of the days when the tech returned the coach in the afternoon the roller had pushed the pad completely out of the way and the roller was completely on the tile.

Has anyone else tried to use them, and if so did you arrive at a secret procedure to keep it in place as the room comes in? Kind of hard to stand on all 9 of them if trying to use that many.

Excuse my ignorance but when did Newmar start supplying this new style pad?

We broke quite a few of the ones with the lip that were replaced free of charge by Newmar. Newmar then sent us 9 aluminum shims to be installed where the roller ramps up prior to dropping on the tile. I was told these were being used in new production 2015's late last year.

I couldn't figure out how to install them and had Newmar put them in at our 1 year warranty service in March. We haven't broken a lip on a protector since Instalation of the shims.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 04:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarpusher View Post
Excuse my ignorance but when did Newmar start supplying this new style pad?

We broke quite a few of the ones with the lip that were replaced free of charge by Newmar. Newmar then sent us 9 aluminum shims to be installed where the roller ramps up prior to dropping on the tile. I was told these were being used in new production 2015's late last year.

I couldn't figure out how to install them and had Newmar put them in at our 1 year warranty service in March. We haven't broken a lip on a protector since Instalation of the shims.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
During our appointment April 25th they replaced my two broken mats with the one having the lip, but then furnished me with the ones that are tapered on the roller end and have no 90 degree lips.
I asked the service manager and the parts manager about installing the shims I'd been reading about and was told by both men that the shims wouldn't help in my situation, whatever that meant.
These floor protector mats seem to be just another case of "well that didn't work, let's try something else". I know there are several members here on the Forum that would make much better design engineers than what we have to deal with.