Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2019, 04:33 PM   #1
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Valance Added to Driver's Window

When parked facing the sun, we get a LOT of light from the side of the driver's window. Newmar does not install a valance on that side and the MCD shades hang about 2" from the window. There are also privacy issues at night.

I know some have had a matching wooden valance made for that side, but it has to be really wide, since the shades actually move forward as they close. I made a plastic valance that went over the shades, but realized that forward movement was an issue. I later cut down my prototype and installed it behind the shades. This is working well.

The valance...….. I took a piece of white vinyl rain gutter (available at Lowes) and cut it to approximately 46". The vinyl gutter has a front (curved design, a flat rear and a flat bottom. I cut the length of the bottom, about an 1 1/4" from the curved front. You just need to score it and then you can snap it. This gave me a right angled piece, that when attached to the wall, sticks out 2". At 2", the shades ride down the front of it and seal out the light. Here is a link to the vinyl gutter, I couldn't get it to post as a photo.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Amerimax-Co...ter/1000246365

To attach.....I bought some 1/2" x 1/2" aluminum angle. Home Depot sells some nice thin stuff in their carpet and flooring area. I use it for a lot of projects. I cut the aluminum into two 1' pieces and epoxied them to the inside of the vinyl valance. I later velcroid the entire assembly to the metal window frame that protrudes from the wall about an 1/8". Since I was attach to this frame and using Velcro, I recessed the aluminum angle a little from the edge, so make room for the window frame and Velcro.

Once the project was done, I used satin black and painted the assembly. BBQ black and hammered black also work well and look similar to the plastic dash material.

Once installed, it disappears into the frame and was hard to even photo. In the last photo, you can see the sun is being blocked by the shade resting against the valance.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190817_183118.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	272.2 KB
ID:	257743

Name:	20190817_183133.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	289.4 KB
ID:	257744

Name:	20190823_095704.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	262.7 KB
ID:	257745

Name:	20190823_095712.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	251.1 KB
ID:	257746

Name:	20190817_183025.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	226.9 KB
ID:	257747
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2019, 08:50 PM   #2

Nice job as usual Don!

Did you take a pic of the valance? Was interested in where the gutter was used.
You must be the guy I always see roaming the aisles of Home Depot and Loews getting ideas
Old 08-23-2019, 09:13 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Nice job as usual Don!

Did you take a pic of the valance? Was interested in where the gutter was used.
You must be the guy I always see roaming the aisles of Home Depot and Loews getting ideas
You lost me. I had the gutter from actually using it as a gutter.

I know it's not the mod of the century, but when something fixes even a small issue, it's worth it. The original design didn't work and didn't look good. It wasn't until I was messing with the issue again and realized the valance worked better behind the blind.

If Newmar had run the shades off the back of the roller, there probably wouldn't have been an issue. Since they're so unusual in how they work, you can't flip them.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:53 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post

No I think that was me you saw[emoji6]
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver, wind, window