Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2019, 01:06 PM   #1

Vanity drawer latch at front of drawer broken

The catch at the front of the vanity drawer on my 2015 DS that keeps the drawer closed has broken so the drawer keeps drifting open.
Is this catch available at hardware stores or is this something completely unique or exclusively only on RVs and have to be ordered from Newmar?

It would have to be the drawer in the rear bath that the wife uses the most, probably the reason it broke.

Appreciate any suggestions on getting a replacement for it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2019, 01:17 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had purchased two from Newmar when we picked up coach, another at Camping World...and just purchased a 10-pack off Amazon to have more when needed. I have no idea why they break so easily.
Old 06-30-2019, 01:35 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Allen.....this the latch that you broke. They come in different closing pressure, I believe 5lb and 10lb. Amazon sells both. I would buy a package of each to have as spares. Your drawer is probably a 5lb.

https://www.amazon.com/CampN-Pair-Pu...s%2C190&sr=8-3

Click image for larger version

Name:	81or2fEqv1L._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	251673

If you look at the photo of the latch above. You'll see that the piece on the right has a hooked shape nose that pushes into the latch on the left. The latch on the left has a "V" shaped catch on a spring. As you push the hooked shaped nose into the "V" shaped latch, the "V" captures the hook and closes, locking the hook in with spring pressure.

This is how they break. Take a drawer and pull it open. Look at the latch mounted to the frame, not the drawer. That "V" shape is open and ready to catch the hook. Occasionally, you can accidentally bump that "V" shape and make it close. If this happens, when you go to close the drawer, the hook shaped nose smashes into the closed "V" shape latch and snaps it off. If you ever close a door or cabinet and it doesn't close, STOP, check the position of the latch. If it's closed, you'll need to take a small screwdriver and pull it open. When the new ones arrive, take a look at how they work and what it takes to open one when it accidentally closes.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 02:08 PM   #4

I have the piece off that attaches to the cabinet and can see how it works when the hooked part engages it. Kind of like how the door latch on a vehicle works. It broke with the wife using it so no idea if she slammed it too hard, or as Don stated, maybe the catch part closed and she shut the door too hard.

Appreciate the info about Amazon, will get some of them ordered.

No idea why the above paragraph came out underlined, nothing I did on purpose. Course practically anything I do on the computer, or smart phone, is on purpose since I usually have no idea what I'm doing anyway.
Old 06-30-2019, 02:24 PM   #5

Don, it's always great to have you and other long Newmar owners with so much experience here on the Forum, but how big a trunk do you carry all your spare parts in?
In my 36' Itasca I thought I pretty well carried most of what I need, but with the shortage of storage compartments on this 4018 I had to put two of my large plastic storage boxes in the garage that won't fit in this 4018. Gained 4' in length and lost at least 2 outside storage compartments.
Old 06-30-2019, 03:39 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I actually have half of the pass thru bay empty and about a 1/3rd of the 3/4 bay empty and a 1/4 of the front bay behind the passenger front tire empty. I carry a lot of parts and a large tool box. I try to pack things I don't use very often in places like the battery bay, generator bay and in the utility bays like power cord reel and Oasis bay.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 10:27 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
The catch at the front of the vanity drawer on my 2015 DS that keeps the drawer closed has broken so the drawer keeps drifting open.
Is this catch available at hardware stores or is this something completely unique or exclusively only on RVs and have to be ordered from Newmar?

It would have to be the drawer in the rear bath that the wife uses the most, probably the reason it broke.

Appreciate any suggestions on getting a replacement for it.
Id suggest ordering at least 6 and keeping them in your parts box.
Trust me, your kitchen drawers will be the next to fail!
MrBelvedere is offline   Reply With Quote