Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2022, 10:41 PM   #1

Ventana Dash A/C Intermittent Issue

Looking to follow up on my other thread after our 2+ months trip. On the last leg of our journey, when I fired up the coach, the dash a/c didn't cool. I heard the fan running underneath, so guessing some kind of compressor issue.

So I hit a rest stop and checked all the fuses and wiring in the front chassis compartment. Didn't find anything. Fired the coach back up, and boom, ice cold dash air! Well, we stopped for gas next, and it did the same thing. I had to turn off the engine, waited a few mins, then fired it back up, and had ice cold dash A/C the last bit of our trip.

Happening once, sure, but twice within a small window and never happening before, makes me nervous. I don't feel like it's an issue like low refrigerant, since it got so cold (45 degrees or so). Any thoughts?
powerwoofs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2022, 11:37 PM   #2

I would say that finding where Newmar attached the wiring from the dash unit to the chassis wiring that runs the length of the vehicle to the engine mounted compressor.
Details on page three of this pdf.
The condenser fan power takes off before the attachment to the rest of the chassis wiring.
On my vintage coach the attachment is right above the genset , but with 20 years between the builds ; I have no idea where an attachment would be on your coach.
Blue connector in the picture.
JMHO; have the system pressures checked , I'm still thinking that the pressures are border line.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0581.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	366685  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Evans tempcon wiring.pdf (95.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 05-27-2022, 12:26 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Is yours on a Freightliner chassis and have you had the recall done? Intermittent loss of dash A/C can be one of the issues.

An issue I had......my 2019 DS would cool fine in the morning and then drop out. Later it would come back on. It wasn't the PDM on mine. Luckily, someone working at my dealer said to jump the thermostat at the front of the coach. It looks like a small relay bolted to the right side of the large black A/C box under the hood. It tells the compressor if the dash A/C is getting too cold and shuts it down. You remove the two wires from the thermostat and connect them together. After that, I had to watch my A/C carefully (taking temps at the dash vent) because it was getting too cold and could freeze up the system. I ordered the part from Newmar and all has been well.

If necessary I can provide a photo of the thermostat.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 10:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
I would say that finding where Newmar attached the wiring from the dash unit to the chassis wiring that runs the length of the vehicle to the engine mounted compressor.
Details on page three of this pdf.
The condenser fan power takes off before the attachment to the rest of the chassis wiring.
On my vintage coach the attachment is right above the genset , but with 20 years between the builds ; I have no idea where an attachment would be on your coach.
Blue connector in the picture.
JMHO; have the system pressures checked , I'm still thinking that the pressures are border line.
Will definitely get this checked and take a look at that PDF, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Is yours on a Freightliner chassis and have you had the recall done? Intermittent loss of dash A/C can be one of the issues.

An issue I had......my 2019 DS would cool fine in the morning and then drop out. Later it would come back on. It wasn't the PDM on mine. Luckily, someone working at my dealer said to jump the thermostat at the front of the coach. It looks like a small relay bolted to the right side of the large black A/C box under the hood. It tells the compressor if the dash A/C is getting too cold and shuts it down. You remove the two wires from the thermostat and connect them together. After that, I had to watch my A/C carefully (taking temps at the dash vent) because it was getting too cold and could freeze up the system. I ordered the part from Newmar and all has been well.

If necessary I can provide a photo of the thermostat.
It's a freightliner. It's on my list to call them to check on recalls, but as of last year when we got it, dealer swore all recalls were done, including freightliner. I know there's a PDM recall, and that's the only I know of that's recent. Regarding the thermostat, would that affect a cold start up in the summer keeping the a/c from coming on initially?
powerwoofs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 05:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwoofs View Post
Looking to follow up on my other thread after our 2+ months trip. On the last leg of our journey, when I fired up the coach, the dash a/c didn't cool. I heard the fan running underneath, so guessing some kind of compressor issue.

So I hit a rest stop and checked all the fuses and wiring in the front chassis compartment. Didn't find anything. Fired the coach back up, and boom, ice cold dash air! Well, we stopped for gas next, and it did the same thing. I had to turn off the engine, waited a few mins, then fired it back up, and had ice cold dash A/C the last bit of our trip.

Happening once, sure, but twice within a small window and never happening before, makes me nervous. I don't feel like it's an issue like low refrigerant, since it got so cold (45 degrees or so). Any thoughts?
Our dash ac quit working along with one side turn signals. Our problem was fixed with a new PDM and eventually a new PDM harness.
Country Road is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 07:58 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I had a similar problem during my early days with the coach. Took it to the dealer and they replaced some sort of switch or relief valve and everything has worked decent since. I do have a lot of water coming out of the unit which many on the site have mentioned. I ended up installing a plastic shield so the water doesn't end up on the generator. Also, I live in FL and in many cases, the dash AC can't provide enough cool air so we end up running the generator and main AC units to keep things cool enough. Finally, I assume you are always leaving the record switch on and fans at 3 or 4? I have done this based on advice from others on the forum. So glad for all this info which has helped me a ton with my coach!

Good luck,
MHC

Tags
dash, vent, ventana