Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2020, 06:54 AM   #1

Ventana drivers side rear view mirror forward or backwards?

My Ventana came with the drivers side rear view mirror in the rearward most position, alongside the side window.

I see others with it in the forward most position which in my opinion looks better from the outside but which is better?

What do you Prefer??

Ted.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2020, 08:06 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
IF you can get full vision with the mirror forward you are better off because a quick look does not require a head turn and re-focus when looking back forward. That was the whole idea of getting mirrors out front. It is a safety thing.
Some builders have either made seat/a pillar changes that don't support that so they pulll them back. Some work fine out front but were not positioned that way, and those are just pure ignorance on positioning by dealers/techs, whomever who just don't drive the coach. Some builders have even put a shorter arm on driver side...arrrrgh!!

Take some time, loosen all the adjustments and try yours. FIRST though position your seat comfortably for driving. It may take 30 minutes or so to get it right. Hope you can get it out front.

Good Luck
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:08 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Forward. Had coaches with it in both locations, with it forward IMO it is easier to see, than when you have to look to the side to use it. Our DS has it mounted rearward will take some getting use to again I am sure.
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twomed View Post
IF you can get full vision with the mirror forward you are better off because a quick look does not require a head turn and re-focus when looking back forward. That was the whole idea of getting mirrors out front. It is a safety thing.
Some builders have either made seat/a pillar changes that don't support that so they pulll them back. Some work fine out front but were not positioned that way, and those are just pure ignorance on positioning by dealers/techs, whomever who just don't drive the coach. Some builders have even put a shorter arm on driver side...arrrrgh!!

Take some time, loosen all the adjustments and try yours. FIRST though position your seat comfortably for driving. It may take 30 minutes or so to get it right. Hope you can get it out front.

Good Luck
Yes it has a shorter arm on the drivers side.

Like you said maybe it is a Dealer tech set up preference.

I watched a promotional Video on the 2020 model and it has the same mirrors just forward instead of backward.

I am going to try moving mine forward, I would expect it to improve the blinds spot some and focus like you said.

Ted.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:20 AM   #5

I tried moving mine and it was blocked by the pillar. I moved it back.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:49 AM   #6

The driver's side has a short arm and is intended to be back. If you want a forward position you need to change it for the long arm version.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:00 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I'll start by saying that I always liked the mirrors mounted to the front of the cap and both with long arms, I think it looks more symmetrical.

Unfortunately, Newmar mounts them on the side of the cap and only a short arm will work on the driver's side. If you were to buy and add a long arm to the driver's side, the "A" pillar would block it. If it was that simple, you would see a lot of short arms exchanged for long arms. Again, mounting on the side of the cap forces the use of a short arm on the driver's side.

Now....forward or back. Many believe that the driver's arm is moved back to prevent damage while under construction. My 2014 DS came with the mirror back and you could hear the wind bang the window as it was so close. It also blocked your view when making a left turn.

Personally, I believe the driver's side was designed to be in the forward position.

When I get a new coach home, I do the following.....I loosen the arms and mirror heads. Swing the driver's side forward. (My 2019 came with it forward). I then picture an imaginary line running down the side of the coach from rear to front and past the windshield. I adjust the arm, until the inside of the mirror head is just outside that imaginary line. This places the mirror as close to the body as possible, but still capable of getting full vision.

Next, I adjust the mirrors electrically until they're exactly where I want them and they are perfectly centered in the mirror head. That means the left and right edge of the mirror glass is the same distance away from the edge of the mirror housing. This takes a few tries as you have to go out and adjust the head a few times until the glass is centered.

I then adjust the mirror head to make sure it's perfectly vertical front to back and side to side. I hate a mirror that is not standing up straight.

Lastly, I crank down pretty hard on the arm bolt and mirror head allen screws to make sure the head doesn't move. Even if you make them very tight, they will still move if struck.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:13 PM   #8

Don, by saying “forward or backward” you mean moving the arm in towards the coach for Forward and out way from the coach for backward? Just trying to get clear in my head

Thanks
Zzotte
Old 01-07-2020, 01:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I'll start by saying that I always liked the mirrors mounted to the front of the cap and both with long arms, I think it looks more symmetrical.

Unfortunately, Newmar mounts them on the side of the cap and only a short arm will work on the driver's side. If you were to buy and add a long arm to the driver's side, the "A" pillar would block it. If it was that simple, you would see a lot of short arms exchanged for long arms. Again, mounting on the side of the cap forces the use of a short arm on the driver's side.

Now....forward or back. Many believe that the driver's arm is moved back to prevent damage while under construction. My 2014 DS came with the mirror back and you could hear the wind bang the window as it was so close. It also blocked your view when making a left turn.

Personally, I believe the driver's side was designed to be in the forward position.

When I get a new coach home, I do the following.....I loosen the arms and mirror heads. Swing the driver's side forward. (My 2019 came with it forward). I then picture an imaginary line running down the side of the coach from rear to front and past the windshield. I adjust the arm, until the inside of the mirror head is just outside that imaginary line. This places the mirror as close to the body as possible, but still capable of getting full vision.

Next, I adjust the mirrors electrically until they're exactly where I want them and they are perfectly centered in the mirror head. That means the left and right edge of the mirror glass is the same distance away from the edge of the mirror housing. This takes a few tries as you have to go out and adjust the head a few times until the glass is centered.

I then adjust the mirror head to make sure it's perfectly vertical front to back and side to side. I hate a mirror that is not standing up straight.

Lastly, I crank down pretty hard on the arm bolt and mirror head allen screws to make sure the head doesn't move. Even if you make them very tight, they will still move if struck.
LOL, You and I are on the same OCD page.

With the mirror Heads, I had the coach level then used a level on the mirror heads adjusted in all directions until the heads were level up and down and glass was even right to left, and locked it all down.

I will try swinging mine forward I think it looks better.

And Like I said the 2020 show model has it forward.

Ted.
Old 01-07-2020, 03:43 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I travel in the East often and those pesky toll booths made me switch mine back rather than forward.
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 03:44 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
The engineer in me always communicates better with pictures/drawings. So...attached is a photo of my Ventana LE which shows the driver side mirror is located at the bottom left corner of the driver side window. The passenger side mirror is located on the right front corner. My previous motorhome (2007 Damon Astoria 3774 DP) had outside mirrors in the same locations. This "set up" provides the visibility I need for both sides of the motorhome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mirrors - Ventana LE.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	281.8 KB
ID:	271669  
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 05:05 PM   #12

Generally speaking, I think you'll find that coaches that have wrap around windshields and a more rearward A pillar design, have both mirrors up front, and the coaches with basically flat windshields have the driver mirror mounted out the side window.
My mirror arms are the same length and are mounted at the same spots on the front cap. My windshield is the flat type with more the forward design A pillars and you just cant see the mirror and down the side of the coach at the same time if rotated foward.
Old 01-07-2020, 06:57 PM   #13

I have had motorhomes with the mirror forward, and others with the mirror to the rear. Our current motorhome, a Ventana LE, has the mirror in the rear position. I personally prefer it in the rear position. I agree with others who have posted that in the forward position it is closer to your view out the windshield as you are driving, requiring less eye and/or head motion to see the mirror. However, in the rear position, the mirror is closer to me and as such it gives me a wider field of vision which I like. For me the wider view trumps the front mirror position.

Ed
Ed Headington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:35 PM   #14

Driver side mirror

I turned my driver side mirror around, so it faces forward. I think I can see better out of it and it looks better. You may have received an allen wrench with your coach that is specific for adjusting the mirror.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Amana, IA Oct 2019 (1).jpg
Views:	58
Size:	359.7 KB
ID:	271692   Click image for larger version

Name:	wrench.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	271693  

woodosgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags