Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2022, 08:44 AM   #1

Ventana Entrance Door Black Vinyl

My interior door black vinyl is probably 50% detached. Living a good distance from any current Newmar service, I decided to pay for a new complete panel, shipped to my house for around $100. Far cheaper than my fuel cost alone to take it to a service facility.

So I am finally getting to replacing the panel. Rather than do a bull in a china shop operation in trying to get the inside of the door apart, I decided to seek advice from those that know the steps I need to follow. The door works fine, just want to replace the thin plywood panel with black vinyl without messing something else up doing it.

Help would be most appreciated with instructions for a totally uninformed owner.
PeteDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2022, 08:23 AM   #2

Beautiful August day here in NC, no responses to my yesterday post, have the replacement panel, so I will get going. How hard can it be??

Out on ladder, took the window trim ring off, removed the lock, removed the screen latch. Next removed all the perimeter edge trim as I have read. A little resistance on the lower horizonal piece, but got it done. Pulled the vinyl off, with little to no effort, except just around the actual lock. But again success. Ready to remove the luan plywood interior panel. That is where it hit the fan. That luan panel is glued to the steel door frame. And I mean GLUED. Taking it off with force will yield a lifetime supply of tooth picks. Alternative of sanding it off is not an option I would accept. Looks like a recover in place is the only thing that is gone to work.

Lesson learned the hard way: If you are planning to remove this luan, make sure you know what if any glue to the frame was used.

At this stage I would appreciate suggestion for a new covering.
Old 08-14-2022, 09:52 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My 2019 had the cover replaced. The vinyl was removed, a good amount of glue put on the wood, and a new vinyl put back on. It was pressed against wood with a rubber roller, and trimmed where needed for the window and door handles.

I watched the process, it was very simple "looking". Obviously the tech had a plan and experience
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 10:34 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My vinyl had several areas that were no longer attached to the wood. Contacted PTL (Lindsay) and she sent me a replacement piece of vinyl. I removed the trim off the door, pulled the old vinyl off, sprayed glue on the door and the back of new vinyl, trimmed new vinyl and reattached trim. A year later, the vinyl is coming loose again. Perhaps not enough glue? Perhaps due to heat and humidity. I may attempt to peel the vinyl partial off and re-spray with glue. If that doesn't work. I'll get a another piece of vinyl and reattached with different adhesive.
Old 08-15-2022, 07:09 AM   #5

A popular definition for "INSANITY" is "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results". Owning two door panels with debonding vinyl, one that just stood in my garage for a year plus, I concluded that a different approach was in order.

Plan "B" is as follows. Strip all the 3M 90 glue off the luan on the door using 3M 08987. Sand luan with 150 paper. Install Nauga Soft Black Satin Vinyl Fabric using 3M General Trim Adhesive 08088, High Strength, Clear Drying. My personal opinion is the 3M 90 adhesive and the vinyl used on the panel are incompatible for vertical mounting, especially on my vibration coach. The 3M 90 adhesive remains tacky forever, why would this work????

Will post results when done.
Old 08-15-2022, 09:34 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Was at the factory last month and they replaced the vinyl at no charge and did a good job.
Switt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 06:27 AM   #7

Switt, good to hear you had the factory replace your vinyl door material, and achieve pleasing results for you. And may it be a long term fix for you.

I claim NO expertise in this area of adhesives and materials, but with my two examples of the failed door panel products, the frequency of the problem reported here and elsewhere, and the reported reoccurrence of the problem after the Newmar fix is applied, I have a different conclusion. Add to this 3M in no documentation I can find recommends their "90" for use on vinyl. I have read the idea that the vinyl backing, a porous weave of unknown material, makes "3M 90" appropriate. We all know that vinyl outgasses, perhaps this is a problem for the adhesive, coming through the backing weave.

But, the bottom line combination of the luan/3M 90/vinyl, peals apart with ease yielding a tacky adhesive on both surfaces, after 18 months or so. An adhesive that is slightly tacky on both surfaces after that period is a non starter for me, without knowing why. The tack level strikes me as close to a 3M Post It Note.

All the evidence I see tells me to try something else. Thus I have chosen premium materials that have a track record of success in the marine market over many years. I have personally used the products with success, except for the luan. I am not trying to sway thinking by others, just get a permanent fix for my one coach.
Old 08-16-2022, 06:13 PM   #8

I had the same issue with the material coming loose on our door about 2 1/2 to 3 years ago. Instead of using adhesive on the entire surface, I used contact cement only on the edges including the edges around the opening for the handle/latch area. Applied correctly to both surfaces allowing it to set up first, it has held fine since then.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, vent, ventana, vinyl