Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2022, 06:30 PM   #1

Ventana headlights

We have a 2019 Ventana and unfortunately Newmar did not install decent headlights in this coach. Any suggestions as to how to modify the headlights so they actually provide safe and meaningful light at night?
Ken-Newmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2022, 07:04 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Our 2022 was no better. Theyíre an 11-13 dodge Durango headlight housing if I recall correctly. Spyder does make a direct fit halogen projector housing, 5088277. So those with some silverstar bulbs might be better.

If you stick some silverstars in the regular housings itís a bit better (thatís what I did) - but still not what Iíll call good. Those options keep you DOT compliant. The LED replacement bulbs donít - if that is important to you. Itís a passionate subject and a personal choice.

Thereís also a good thread on here from RedBaron73 who turns a set of projector halogen housings from a London Aire into LED housings. Iím looking to do it on our next coach.

Good luck with your search!
Mighty_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 07:10 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The only way to improve them is to find what headlight assembly they used and then go online and locate the same assembly that is set up for LED or HID. Unfortunately, that gets pricey. Adding LED bulbs to a halogen lens will look bright in front of the RV but will not provide any additional light down the road at highway speeds.

Years ago, before they had LED and HID, I added Hella driving lights in place of my fog lights. At the time, they were a decent improvement once I got them focused down the road.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 12:10 AM   #4

I have a lot of experience in this topic in the truck world but have not changed any lights in my ‘22 Ventana. I try not to drive at night but the fog lights help enhance the lighting to a usable level.

As others have said, simply putting in LED bulbs in halogen housings is a big “no no”. It will not throw the lighting correctly and in case of an accident, you could be held liable. I would suggest adding or replacing the fog lights to brighter DOT approved lights such as Diode Dynamics. I have added these in several trucks in the amber color and boy do they light up the road. The ambers are easier on the eyes than white. Plus they can be aimed to create the desired cutoff line to not blind oncoming traffic. Makes a world of difference.

BTW, be mindful of the lighting laws for forward facing lights in your registered state. Statessuch as mine are very strict and specific on the type and quantity of lights you may have. Any violation (in my state) will fail inspection and possible citation while on the road.
BayRunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 07:30 AM   #5
Rocky Mountain High

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I’d be interested in upgrading the headlight assemblies in my 2018 Ventana if it would make a meaningful difference. Mine certainly don’t look like Dodge Durango headlights, but I could be wrong.

I agree with the comments about adding LED or HID bulbs to a headlight assembly that was designed for halogens. I tried this with a GMC truck in the past and the results weren’t good. The light was brighter with LED bulbs, but the pattern of light on the road wasn’t good. I went back to halogens.

One of the common errors when “upgrading” automotive headlights is improper color temperature selection. Many people want their headlights to look whiter, or even into the blue or purple end of the spectrum. The human eye doesn’t perform well with blue light. Human eyes have evolved over hundreds of thousands of years to perform best in natural sunlight, which is in the 4,000K to 5,000K range. “Cool white” bulbs are often in the 6,000K range or higher. They simply don’t perform as well, especially in adverse conditions like rain. Did you ever notice the color of the lights on movie theater steps? They’re blue so that they won’t distract people from the movie screen. Did you ever notice how many people trip on the steps in the movie theater? This happens because their depth perception is poor in the blue light.
Old 12-05-2022, 08:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayRunner View Post
I have a lot of experience in this topic in the truck world but have not changed any lights in my Ď22 Ventana. I try not to drive at night but the fog lights help enhance the lighting to a usable level.

As others have said, simply putting in LED bulbs in halogen housings is a big ďno noĒ. It will not throw the lighting correctly and in case of an accident, you could be held liable. I would suggest adding or replacing the fog lights to brighter DOT approved lights such as Diode Dynamics. I have added these in several trucks in the amber color and boy do they light up the road. The ambers are easier on the eyes than white. Plus they can be aimed to create the desired cutoff line to not blind oncoming traffic. Makes a world of difference.

BTW, be mindful of the lighting laws for forward facing lights in your registered state. Statessuch as mine are very strict and specific on the type and quantity of lights you may have. Any violation (in my state) will fail inspection and possible citation while on the road.
When you get your rig inspected in our area, I believe you could have anything for headlights and if they shine, youíll be ok. I remember the old days when you had to shine your lights inside a stall on a wall and if they werenít set correctly, they would adjust them or you would fail.

As you mentioned, law enforcement may be the one to get you if your lights arenít OEM and are not adjusted correctly or to bright.

I personally dislike very much bright lights from oncoming traffic.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 09:05 AM   #7

The first thing I checked was the voltage at the headlights. I had about 11.2 volts. I done the relay upgrade and now I have 12.6 or more. This is the biggest problem with all vehicles, way too much wiring between battery and lights although the later years manufacturers have started using relays. That way they get by with much smaller wires. I haven't driven at night yet, this will be my third year, so I can't say how much difference it has made I try not to drive at night, that is the time for beer drinking, relaxing and sleeping. I usually end up doing it for an hour or so in the morning when we leave late afternoon to get a start and then get up early to leave. If we wait to leave the house early in the morning there is always aomething to delay you as most of you know.
Old 12-05-2022, 11:08 AM   #8
Rocky Mountain High

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I did a quick search and found that there are projector headlights available for 2018 and 2019 Ventanas for about $400. They are designed for halogen lights. As mentioned above, they may be an improvement over the OE assemblies, especially with some better bulbs like Silverstars.
Old 12-05-2022, 12:52 PM   #9

Spartan Chassis
This is not an unique problem with Newmar. Poor visibility at night is a complaint across the board from every manufacturer. There has been complaints filed with the NHTSA over this. The problem stems from the fact that you're looking down on the road instead of out onto it. Some people's attempts to correct the problem has resulted in blinding oncoming traffic instead. My concern is not just my visibility but everyone's. The only working solution I've seen is what many semis do, install lights below the front bumper that shines straight out onto the road. But considering some of the campgrounds we have driven into, we'd likely destroy them. My solution was to try and never drive my RV after dark. Has anyone tried Night Driving Glasses?
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 04:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Road View Post
When you get your rig inspected in our area, I believe you could have anything for headlights and if they shine, youíll be ok. I remember the old days when you had to shine your lights inside a stall on a wall and if they werenít set correctly, they would adjust them or you would fail.

As you mentioned, law enforcement may be the one to get you if your lights arenít OEM and are not adjusted correctly or to bright.

I personally dislike very much bright lights from oncoming traffic.
You could be right for I have not gone through an inspection with the MH. However, the group we use for inspections of my personal vehicles and the fleet of business vehicles is a ďby the bookĒ outfit. I have a very good relationship with them but have been explicitly instructed about the lighting laws and that they will be rejected is not 100%. As an example, Any add on light that is not stamped with SAE//DOT approval on the lenses must have a manufacturer cover on it. Not a homemade cover but manufacturer supplied. Had one of our techs drop a truck off for inspection and forgot to put the covers on the additional pod lights. Received a call from the inspection group asking if I wanted to drop by and put the covers on before they slapped a rejection sticker on it. Plus, on our business fleet we had to demonstrate that the vehicles could in no way shine more than 4 forward facing lights at any given time.
Old 12-05-2022, 05:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 70 View Post
The first thing I checked was the voltage at the headlights. I had about 11.2 volts. I done the relay upgrade and now I have 12.6 or more. This is the biggest problem with all vehicles, way too much wiring between battery and lights although the later years manufacturers have started using relays. That way they get by with much smaller wires. I haven't driven at night yet, this will be my third year, so I can't say how much difference it has made I try not to drive at night, that is the time for beer drinking, relaxing and sleeping. I usually end up doing it for an hour or so in the morning when we leave late afternoon to get a start and then get up early to leave. If we wait to leave the house early in the morning there is always aomething to delay you as most of you know.
If you donít mind me asking, what relay did you install?
Old 12-05-2022, 05:52 PM   #12

Go to YouTube and look for The Headlight Guy. Did mine while we were at Nappanee in Aug, he comes to the campground to install. Not cheap but made a world of difference.
Old 12-05-2022, 07:14 PM   #13
Rocky Mountain High

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bears Dad View Post
Go to YouTube and look for The Headlight Guy. Did mine while we were at Nappanee in Aug, he comes to the campground to install. Not cheap but made a world of difference.
Thanks for that. I just watched a few of his videos and reached out to him via email.
Old 01-24-2023, 09:37 PM   #14

Halogen to LED headlights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken-Newmar View Post
We have a 2019 Ventana and unfortunately Newmar did not install decent headlights in this coach. Any suggestions as to how to modify the headlights so they actually provide safe and meaningful light at night?
My 2016 Ventana LE 4037 has plagued me with this dim lit headlight until just recently resolved.

If you check out YouTube on how to properly change Halogen to LED bulbs you will find that you just can't arbitrarily switch them out.

The LED bulbs must conform to the same configeration and design as the Halogens so as the light produced by the bulb, will match the interior reflectors designed for the Halogen bulbs. Otherwise if the incorrect designed LED's are installed, the light reflectors will shoot light into on coming traffic or to the side of the road or up into tree line and you wont be satisfied with the results.

What I did was to look at the front of my headlight lens for a DOT number. Went on line to search for this DOT number and found out who the manufacturer is. Then I went on line to find which LED bulb is designed for my particular headlight assembly.
Newmar used a 2011 Dodge Nitro Headlight and tail light assembly on my 2016 Ventana LE 4037.
Surprise, Surprise.

Once you find the correct LED's, it's a simple matter of removing the Halogens and installing the LED"s. They are designed to switch out right out of the box. No need to drill out the back of the headlight assembly to install a different sized projection bulb base etc.

The headlights will need to be re-adjusted by following again on YouTube, how to properly adjust headlights. Vertical adjustments may only be needed to be done and possibly horizontally if the headlight assemble anchor points allow. The headlight assembly has an vertical adjustment nut which raises and lowers the bulb.

My replacement LED's work perfectly. They produce a dark line of demarcation when on low beam, so as not to scatter light where it is not needed and on high beams it lights up the road, THE WAY THEY SHOULD HAVE IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Hope this helps you with my tried and proven results.
No guessing on what you should do, this woked for me.
Nadge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
headlight, headlights, light, lights, vent, ventana