Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2021, 07:00 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Ventana slide topper coming apart

While washing the rig today I noticed light coming through behind one of the slide toppers between the housing and the coach in the middle of the slide. So when I finished my wash job, I put out the slide and climbed up to take a look.

The fabric isn’t torn or damaged, but is pulling out of the groove in the track that secures the fabric to the top of the wall of the coach. I didn’t spend a whole lot of time staring at it, but I didn’t see how the fabric is fed in to the groove or if and how the track comes apart to re-secure the fabric.

Ideas? Experiences? Is this an easy fix or does the topper have to come off?

I’ll take a closer look tomorrow and will also be calling Newmar, but it would be nice to know what Im dealing with before I do that.

Thanks in advance,
Rich
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2021, 07:03 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
While washing the rig today I noticed light coming through behind one of the slide toppers between the housing and the coach in the middle of the slide. So when I finished my wash job, I put out the slide and climbed up to take a look. The fabric isnít torn or damaged, but is pulling out of the groove that fabric to the top of the wall of the coach. I didnít spend a whole lot of time staring at it, but I didnít see how the fabric is fed in to the groove or if and how the track comes apart to re-secure the fabric. Ideas? Iíll take a closer look tomorrow but will also be calling Newmar. It would be nice to know what Im dealing with before I do that.

Thanks in advance,
Rich
Nothing new, a couple of wind storms and the toppers go, either tear or pull out. Very common. Thatís why I always worry about going to places like Rapid City in the summer, darn, they have wind blowing 24/7. 30-40 mph at times.
2cyber71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 10:00 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Rich, typically, there is a solid piece of white nylon tubing, inserted into a slot/pocket sewn into the topper. The topper is then slid into the slotted rain drip rail. The nylon tubing expands the slot/pocket in the topper, and keeps it locked in the metal slot. The slot can open some and the topper can pull out.

You could take the tension off of the topper, by locking the roller in place, when the slide is out, and then bring the slide in part way. You might get lucky and be able to push the one section back into the slot. If you're successful, try and get under the topper, and hammer the slot so it closes some. Maybe using a block of wood, if not, try and close the top of the slot, without damaging the paint.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 04:00 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Well this sounds like fun! I’ll take a closer look this morning. I didn’t notice anything sewn into the edge of the fabric - just a clean edge, but I’ll check it out. 6am in NH and the coffee is done...

All the toppers were off when it was at Nappanee for paint work in March. Tempting to think it’s related to that but more likely just a windy day somewhere.
Old 06-21-2021, 04:48 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I’ve had the FWS, and BR slideout both loose the stitching. Newmar only orders the single stitched awning offering. You can order them double stitched, for a small up charge.

I went with..

https://www.toughtopawnings.com/

Check out RV Geeks YouTube channel for how to..and a discount code.
Old 06-21-2021, 10:12 AM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If the stitching came loose, you're stuck and need to remove it. On my Diplomat years ago, being frugal, I removed the material, cut off the sun worn few inches and had an upholstery shop, sew a new pocket into the fabric. It lasted about two more years and then went bad again.

There is another place that sells fabric, probably one of the lowest priced and best material. They use Sunbrella. I looked in my saved websites, but couldn't find the link. It's popular, so someone may remember the name.
Old 06-21-2021, 11:22 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
It will have to wait until I get home next month. It was the stitching that failed and I will probably take the fabric to my local upholstery shop and have the bolt (nylon tubing) stitched in again (with double stitching) and then reinstall, unless the fabric seems to be deteriorating, but from my initial inspection it looks ok.

Thank you all for the info.
Old 06-21-2021, 11:59 AM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Just food for thought......I will tell you that I re-stitched the fabric on my 7 year old Monaco Diplomat and they failed again two years later. Mine was a quality fabric, not vinyl. Once you go through the effort of removing it, just replace it. Typically, someone is going to charge $50.00 to stitch it up, and you can probably get a new one for $200.00, depending on it's size.
Old 06-21-2021, 12:50 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Just food for thought......I will tell you that I re-stitched the fabric on my 7 year old Monaco Diplomat and they failed again two years later. Mine was a quality fabric, not vinyl. Once you go through the effort of removing it, just replace it. Typically, someone is going to charge $50.00 to stitch it up, and you can probably get a new one for $200.00, depending on it's size.
Good point. Itís nice heavy canvas like material, but I might as well use new fabric.
Old 06-22-2021, 02:17 PM   #10

I had the stitching fail on all 3 slide toppers. Cotton thread that can’t take the UV rays. Just started unraveling. Company in Florida did all three new toppers with marine grade vinyl thread. Looks good and won’t have to replace it again due to unraveling thread.

Tags
slide, vent, ventana