Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2018, 02:31 PM   #29
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
It seems to me that everyone's value system is different and that there are no universal "right" choices. You do your homework, decide what your spending choices and limitations are, and go with what fits within your value system.

We made our choice based on what our research indicated was right for us. Our choice might not be right for anyone else, but we feel it was right for us. I recommend future motorhome buyers follow the same decision process. Buy what you want and are willing to pay for. You don't have to justify your purchase to anyone else.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2018, 02:59 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
It seems to me that everyone's value system is different and that there are no universal "right" choices. You do your homework, decide what your spending choices and limitations are, and go with what fits within your value system.

We made our choice based on what our research indicated was right for us. Our choice might not be right for anyone else, but we feel it was right for us. I recommend future motorhome buyers follow the same decision process. Buy what you want and are willing to pay for. You don't have to justify your purchase to anyone else.

TJ

Agreed Jim, what you don’t hear here is the is a MA worth the difference from a DS. I find it fascinating how the DS vs V discussion never ends. They are both great motorhomes. I totally agree with you that no one should feel the need to justify your purchase decision to anyone but their self. And buy what they will be happy paying for.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 03:02 PM   #31

Our price point was $250K and wanted a DS vs VT in the 4369 floor plan. New or used.

I had a plan to purchase a DS but it required DW to stay at work full time to pay for it while I retired and drove the DS around. That plan did not get approved.

In the end we bought a heavily optioned 16 VT new off the dealer lot at the end of 2016 for $265K including options we had the dealer add. No regrets.

Things the DS has and the VT does not that I would want: heavier weight rating on the front axle. The 16 VT comes almost at its front axle weight limit right off the production line. We were overweight (not by much) with ourselves and stuff even though we moved the heaviest cargo to the rear the best we could. We had FL in Gaffney adjust the ride height to shift more available weight to the front.

I also would like all tile. After living in a house with all tile for many years I have come to dislike carpet.
RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 03:22 PM   #32
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
Agreed Jim, what you don’t hear here is the is a MA worth the difference from a DS. I find it fascinating how the DS vs V discussion never ends. They are both great motorhomes. I totally agree with you that no one should feel the need to justify your purchase decision to anyone but their self. And buy what they will be happy paying for.
It was for us, but...again...it might not be for anyone else. There were a number of things that made the MADP stand out as the right choice for us, but I'm not going to list them because they might not be of similar value to others.

We did consider...carefully...buying a Dutch Star (Ventana, too, along with a London Aire) and finally arrived at the Mountain Aire as the best choice for us. And, when we park it next to a Dutch Star, I have no second thoughts about our decision, same as when we park next to a LADP or VTDP. We respect others' decisions and don't feel obligated to defend ours. Life is way to short to start worrying about the choices others make...and, why.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 04:24 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by taratiffin View Post
We went through this exact process last summer when looking for our 4th (and last) MH. Our want list for me was 450hp, side radiator, oasis heating and IFS. DW list was Girard awning and Oasis. After shopping around I decided that I had driven over 100,000 miles in a MH that didn't have a side radiator and have had no problems. I learned that the Ventana and the DS have the same 8.9 engine with 1250 lbs. of torque. It came down to paying $80,000+ to have girard awning, IFS, more glitz on the inside. We could not justify the difference. Do I wish I had a DS, YES. If I did it again I would still buy a Ventana. My DW says I am tight with money and is correct. We love the Ventana and having the extra money. Bill
We have a 2014, and felt even then, that the upcost wasn't worth it. That said, it wasn't long before I had the MCD shades, mascerator pump, changed the tank monitor to Seelevel (in two places), Advantium, and numerous other changes. If we had it to do over again, we would make the same choice. The only difference would be that I would hire the changes, because it's too hard for me to squeeze into some of those spaces now.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:10 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandS View Post
Hello!

We have a 2017 Ventana 4369 and love it!

Could have afforded the Dutch Star, but couldn't justify the extra expense VS. the added features, which mostly amounted to automated features such as window shades, basement tray, etc. on the Dutch Star and more simple, manual features on the Ventana. The fact that we could order the same floor plan with the same furnishings and appliances made the choice easy.

Funny you should mention slideouts. That was a big deal for us. We really wanted to stay with the tried and true design.

We have owned it a bit over a year and have been living in it full time for about 2 1/2 months. so far, we are very happy and feel we made the right choice for us.

You should get somewhere between 25 and 30% off of the MSRP. We got approximately 29% off.

Good luck! Hope you get exactly what you want and are as happy with it as we are. You can't go wrong with either Coach.-Paul
Thanks for the info! Glad to hear you are happy w your choice. What dealer did you go with? Salesperson? Thanks!
rmk83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 08:13 PM   #35

Quote:
Both excellent motorhomes and the Ventana has some nice added options in 19.
The differences main that attracted me to the DS, more floor with no carpet, side radiator and independent front suspension. There other things but to me the above was on my must have list.
Discounts this time of year may be a little tighter I would say 26-28%
Besides what I mentioned above, popular options unique to DS, heated floors and Girard awnings. Like I said they are both great. Good luck, Stuart W
Thanks Stuart. I really like the Gerard awnings. Heated floors would be nice. Have you driven a straight axle ventana or similar to compare the IFS?
Old 08-05-2018, 08:16 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
I wanted to buy new and I couldn't justify the cost of the Dutch Star considering how we would be using it, but there were multiple features only available on the Dutch Star that I would have liked to have.

Independent front suspension
tile on the full wall slide rather than carpet
heated floors
Sanicon system
Possibly, the Girard Nova awnings and power window awnings

The thing is that you pay more for the DS, and then when you add in some of the options I would really have liked, it winds up being about $60k or so difference, and that was more than I wanted to swing, even though I wanted those options only available on a DS and higher.
I am feeling the same. Options I want but not wanting to pay that much more for em. Curious what paint scheme you went with on ventana and any options you chose?
Old 08-05-2018, 08:21 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by taratiffin View Post
We went through this exact process last summer when looking for our 4th (and last) MH. Our want list for me was 450hp, side radiator, oasis heating and IFS. DW list was Girard awning and Oasis. After shopping around I decided that I had driven over 100,000 miles in a MH that didn't have a side radiator and have had no problems. I learned that the Ventana and the DS have the same 8.9 engine with 1250 lbs. of torque. It came down to paying $80,000+ to have girard awning, IFS, more glitz on the inside. We could not justify the difference. Do I wish I had a DS, YES. If I did it again I would still buy a Ventana. My DW says I am tight with money and is correct. We love the Ventana and having the extra money. Bill
That's good to hear Bill! I like the thinking of the side radiator for sure but good to hear you have never really had issues w rear. How does the Ventana drive?
Old 08-05-2018, 08:26 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-OEM View Post
We bought used in 2015 so our decision tree was not as black and white as a DS verses Ventana as you are facing.

We were lucky enough (very lucky) to have a DS (4369) and Ventana (4018), both 2013's more or less side by side at a dealer. The DS was heavily optioned as you describe. Yes the DS was nicer in most ways to be sure, but I could not bring myself to spend an additional $80,000 for that.

My wife also commented and I agreed that the DS had a lot of glitz and glam that we DO NOT care for and certainly do not want to pay for.

Now fast forward to today, did we make the right decision? I think so given our experience. Sure, radiant floor heating would be nice on some mornings, not a lot, but some. Nicer awnings, well yeah maybe but shade is shade. A side radiator? - Have NOT had an overheating issue (or costly hard to reach engine repair with a rear radiator - so take that with a grain of salt). The shades are not very hard to manually open and close.

Believe it or not, the thing that annoys me the most is having to lock each compartment as opposed to automatic locking. Maybe the powered slide out trays as well. The extra 2 or 3 feet in that DS would be the most noticeable and desirable feature for us. However, at about $25,000+ per foot, maybe not so much.

The Ventana is a good solid choice that you will enjoy I am sure. Keep in mind, this was our first RV purchase so maybe we lucked out a little - or a lot.
This is why I love this forum! So many good responses from people who have or are doing it. Thanks for your input. This will be my first motor home purchase. Have loved my travel trailer but w my girlfriend coming out w me next year we need more bathroom space and storage space for sure. Thanks again!
Old 08-05-2018, 08:30 PM   #39

Quote:
Wanted to add my observation on this topic, every month or so a thread comes up DS vs V, but not to much DS vs MA, MA vs LA, LA vs ES or ES vs KA. What is your opinion on why DS vs V is such a popular debate?
Good question.. being my first coach and I'm not on a large budget ($400-800k) those others are far out of my league. The Dutch star is as high as I see myself going in the future anyways. Now you have me thinking, what do those offer that Dutch star doesn't? Power, nicer finishes? Interesting to think about. Lol
Old 08-05-2018, 08:32 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-OEM View Post
I guess we have both been fortunate in our lives to be able to describe a DS as a stretch entry level motorcoach!!

Almost feel guilty having this discussion - almost
Lol. Hey you work hard and be smart in life... things like this become topic of conversation!
Old 08-05-2018, 08:36 PM   #41

Quote:
This is a great point that hardly ever comes up in comparisons. In fact I don’t remember reading it.
Exactly why I want a 2016 + Dutch Star. Bathroom feels more like home than in others. More airy and less claustrophobic.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:43 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
Our price point was $250K and wanted a DS vs VT in the 4369 floor plan. New or used.

I had a plan to purchase a DS but it required DW to stay at work full time to pay for it while I retired and drove the DS around. That plan did not get approved.

In the end we bought a heavily optioned 16 VT new off the dealer lot at the end of 2016 for $265K including options we had the dealer add. No regrets.

Things the DS has and the VT does not that I would want: heavier weight rating on the front axle. The 16 VT comes almost at its front axle weight limit right off the production line. We were overweight (not by much) with ourselves and stuff even though we moved the heaviest cargo to the rear the best we could. We had FL in Gaffney adjust the ride height to shift more available weight to the front.

I also would like all tile. After living in a house with all tile for many years I have come to dislike carpet.
Good points on the tile floors. My home has all tile as well. Luckily the carpet is minimal in Ventana but still there none the less. I am a travel nurse and this will be my home while on the road. Trying to get info and knowledge from people before I make a decision. Sorry the wife didn't go for the Dutch star plan. but sounds like the Ventana has been good to you.

Tags
dutch star, vent, ventana