RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2015, 07:23 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Venting Microwave to outside DSDP

We are going to be looking at the 2016 4369 DSDP at Hershey. We are probably going to upgrade to the Advantium microwave. Does anyone know if the exhaust from the microwave is vented to the outside standard? If not is this available as a special?

This is something we forgot to ask when visiting Newmar and deciding on the specials we wanted. Now, as we get closer to ordering, we are trying to drill down our list and this would be added to it.

Thanks

Jim

MoHoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2015, 11:31 AM   #2

Jim,

The outside venting of the microwave is not standard. I was told that at one time in the past it was. Some people complained about the flap making noise when going down the highway or if the wind direction was just right when you were parked. So Newmar quit venting them. We never experienced either of these issues.

When ordering our 2015 DS last year we forgot to add this to our list of specials. When I was back at Nappanee a few months after owning the Coach I asked for this to be done as a retail job. I was not going to trust anybody except for the factory to cut a hole in the side of my bus! I spoke with Alvin in service and received a bid in the $650-$700 if memory serves me correct. I had it done. We were very happy with result while cooking. You will be asked about choosing from a couple different styles of vents that go on the outside of your rig.

A couple months ago when ordering our 2016 DS we did remember to include this feature as a Special. The cost came in at exactly half or even slightly less. When I was at the factory last week checking on the production of our unit I specifically looked to make sure that the hole was present, and it was.

We did not upgrade to the Advantium and I know that the Whirpool unit comes with a 350 cfm blower which is more than adequate for the amount of space we are talking about.

Hope this helps.

Adil.

CentILRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 01:15 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks

Just the info I was looking for especially the costs involved. Definitely want to do this on the original order and would even forgo the upgrade to the Advantium if that was necessary.

Regards

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentILRVer View Post
Jim,

The outside venting of the microwave is not standard. I was told that at one time in the past it was. Some people complained about the flap making noise when going down the highway or if the wind direction was just right when you were parked. So Newmar quit venting them. We never experienced either of these issues.

When ordering our 2015 DS last year we forgot to add this to our list of specials. When I was back at Nappanee a few months after owning the Coach I asked for this to be done as a retail job. I was not going to trust anybody except for the factory to cut a hole in the side of my bus! I spoke with Alvin in service and received a bid in the $650-$700 if memory serves me correct. I had it done. We were very happy with result while cooking. You will be asked about choosing from a couple different styles of vents that go on the outside of your rig.

A couple months ago when ordering our 2016 DS we did remember to include this feature as a Special. The cost came in at exactly half or even slightly less. When I was at the factory last week checking on the production of our unit I specifically looked to make sure that the hole was present, and it was.

We did not upgrade to the Advantium and I know that the Whirpool unit comes with a 350 cfm blower which is more than adequate for the amount of space we are talking about.

Hope this helps.

Adil.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:18 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We did this as one of our specials on our 4369. My wife loves to bake with the convection oven and it really used to heat up the inside of our previous coach. Now it stays nice and cool inside the DutchStar.
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:23 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We ordered the Advantium in our '02 DSDP, it was vented outside as a standard install. Newmar should have kept that as standard. It does make a difference.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:15 AM   #6

We have a Fantastic fan directly above our convection oven/microwave that works very well so I didn't need to vent through the wall. Might be worth checking where it is on your floorplan.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 03:02 PM   #7

We ordered our DS4369 recently and listed a GE Advantium as a special we wanted to add. When it was returned approved by Newmar, it was listed as "GE ADVANTIUM MICROWAVE ILO STD - VENTED TO OUTSIDE".
Old 09-24-2015, 07:46 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I complained bitterly about the lack of outside venting on our GE Profile. However the estimate was much higher to add the outside vent. However, as previously stated, Newmar located the Kitchen Vent directly over the Microwave and it is quite effective venting the microwave.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:34 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks Mike

If the Advantium is vented to the outside that would explain the 800 dollar upgrade cost and in my opinion would be worth doing as our Advantium at home spends a lot of time on Speed Cook. Nothing like a couple of baked potato's in 15 minutes

Regards,

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGriffin View Post
We ordered our DS4369 recently and listed a GE Advantium as a special we wanted to add. When it was returned approved by Newmar, it was listed as "GE ADVANTIUM MICROWAVE ILO STD - VENTED TO OUTSIDE".

Tags
vent