Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2022, 12:32 PM   #15

When it's time to leave, I turn the key on but don't start the motor. I can hear the steps come in just fine without the engine running. Once I hear them come in I will go ahead and start the motor. I'm not sure I can see mine in any mirror but I'll sure take a look next time. The "listen and hear them retract" method has worked so far. When in doubt, I ask the wife, she knows all.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2022, 04:26 PM   #16

I added an additional, small round convex mirror to the pax side so I don't have to crane my neck or jump through hoops to see the mirror and verify steps are in. I also listen closely. Sorry to hear of the safety switch failure and Newmar not backing it up for you.
Old 06-30-2022, 04:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelanger View Post
So is there a procedure that anyone can articulate that would “verify” the steps being in and stowed away properly?
We have a B+/C so for us it is easy.

Every day, before we leave a site (or a stop, or a fuel fill up) I exit the coach door, lock it and make sure the step goes in, walk around to make sure nothing is open and then go in the driver's side to drive away. That way I can make sure everything is OK - step is in, windows are closed, outside cabinets are all closed and locked and the tires are OK.

I suppose it is more of a challenge with a Class A as some of them don't have driver's doors, but then I would close the coach door and listen for the steps.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 06:36 PM   #18

Sorry, but there are just certain things you need to be aware of like not walking out of you RV if your steps are in and not driving away if they are out. Steps need maintenance and attention.

We have had problems over the years of RVing but almost all have been self inflicted.
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 05:08 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
I got a call from Newmar parts today. I was hoping for an update on my steps delivery. They told me the steps that I ordered and paid $4362 for are "discontinued" and the "new" part is now over $12,000.

Does anyone know if these steps are available from a 3rd party vendor, or is Newmar the only source?

Thanks
BB
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 05:34 PM   #20

Verify steps are in

At $12,000. I would definitely be making lots of phone calls to Newmar.
For a 2021 Luxury Line coach to require this expense, this certainly is not reasonable by any means.
Granite17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 06:34 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite17 View Post
At $12,000. I would definitely be making lots of phone calls to Newmar.
For a 2021 Luxury Line coach to require this expense, this certainly is not reasonable by any means.

Thanks for the kind words John. I've had this coach 1 year. These steps are "automatic" and supposed to close on their own. It's not as if I failed to do anything I was supposed to. To expect an owner to "verify" everything isn't reasonable. I don't go look at the brakes to make sure the parking brake has set after I pull the button. Some things you should be able to trust. The steps not coming in is quite important from a safety standpoint. For this part to fail and me to have to incur an "updated" price doesn't sound fair to me either. I would have expected a little help, but for them to triple the price on me after I already placed the order and paid, seems a bit harsh. I can't imagine what has happened to these steps to warrant that type of increase in price.

I've had issues with my previous Dutch Stars beyond warranty and Newmar has always stepped up to the plate to help when reasonable, sometimes beyond what I would have expected. It's as if they are under new ownership with different a attitude towards their customers. I'm not impressed.

BB
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 06:43 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I guess they are going to stop working, blow a fuse, or the door switch is going to fail sometime. I just hope I'm not driving away near a sign.

We always look down to make sure the steps are down. But the poor dogs have had a few times that they go flying.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 06:51 PM   #23

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
When traveling, when I come in the door and start up the step's and close the door, I stop and look in the bottom spot mirror and watch the steps close........every time!
Good idea

I'll have to see if I can see mine retract. I've always just gone by sound, but I can see that being difficult if the gen was left running during the stop.

BTW. just recently passed an A going down the road with the step extended. It was a Dutch Star!
Old 07-07-2022, 06:58 PM   #24

Worst case scenario, it’s only metal. A guy handy with tools could disassemble and blend each piece back into shape. There’s no magic to it.
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 07:07 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
Worst case scenario, it’s only metal. A guy handy with tools could disassemble and blend each piece back into shape. There’s no magic to it.
This is exactly what I would do, even if you have to locate and buy a piece or two.
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 07:10 PM   #26

We're fairly new to motorhomes and I never thought about the steps not retracting, we always hear them retract when starting the engine but not sure if we'd notice if they didn't. Anyway I developed a habit where after starting the engine I get out and do a walkaround checking things like running lights, compartment doors, antenna etc so hopefully I'd notice the steps during that walk around.
Old 07-07-2022, 07:13 PM   #27

Bill, I just noticed you live fairly close to me. If you'd like I could take a look and see how hard it would be to straighten what you have, if you think it's doable. I do a bit of metal working and have lots of metal working tools. (anvils, forge, welders, torches etc) Shoot me a PM if you want.
Old 07-07-2022, 09:20 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelanger View Post
I got a call from Newmar parts today. I was hoping for an update on my steps delivery. They told me the steps that I ordered and paid $4362 for are "discontinued" and the "new" part is now over $12,000.

Does anyone know if these steps are available from a 3rd party vendor, or is Newmar the only source?

Thanks
BB
Sorry to hear and can't believe they discontinued the steps after 1 year or the price! Maybe there's a reason they don't use the vendor anymore.
I know I have seen steps for sale at RV shops so it might be worth making a few phone calls and also these guys might be able to help you out.
https://rvparts.visonerv.com/

Tags
steps