Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2019, 04:14 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Verizon Prepaid unlimited data plan

Like many others I went out and bought the 8800L jetpack and signed up for the unlimited prepaid data plan for $65/month. It worked great up until 1 month ago when I noticed our hotspot not working at all. I called in and found they disconnected my plan due to violating terms for large amount of data usage on a non Verizon tower. I have now been fighting with them for a week as how am I supposed to know what towers I’m on??? Anyone else experience this?
Previous: 2010 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
fsudelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2019, 04:56 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
What they meant to say was they are not offering that plan anymore and will use any excuse possible to cancel it.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 05:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsudelt View Post
Like many others I went out and bought the 8800L jetpack and signed up for the unlimited prepaid data plan for $65/month. It worked great up until 1 month ago when I noticed our hotspot not working at all. I called in and found they disconnected my plan due to violating terms for large amount of data usage on a non Verizon tower. I have now been fighting with them for a week as how am I supposed to know what towers I’m on??? Anyone else experience this?
Did they send you the terms of service with this restriction? I don't recall seeing this when I signed up and never heard of this position. Clearly Verizon is restricting download speeds particularly in parts of the country where Verizon uses 3rd party towers. I figured they had a way in software to curtail downloads on non Verizon towers. Maybe not.
turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 06:25 PM   #4

Old 10-23-2019, 06:28 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No I don’t remember seeing anything. After another hour on the phone today they said I should have service (same unlimited plan) back up & running by Monday. As the other person noted they also told me this plan is no longer available so I’m guessing they are trying to find anyway possible to cut people off. Luckily for me they had notes from last Thursday of a supervisor approving to reinstate me. We’ll see if it truly does get reinstated & how long it last for. I can say over the last week with all my calls in the customer service, pre-pay vs post-pay is night & day different in taking care of you! Pre-pay are typically not US call centers it seems & could care less about getting anything resolved!
Old 10-23-2019, 06:30 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
Did they send you the terms of service with this restriction? I don't recall seeing this when I signed up and never heard of this position. Clearly Verizon is restricting download speeds particularly in parts of the country where Verizon uses 3rd party towers. I figured they had a way in software to curtail downloads on non Verizon towers. Maybe not.

I also asked for dates of service that I supposedly used too much data and I think it had to of been a glitch as we only used hotspot for 5 or 6 hours but they said we had used for 20 hours & used 18GB. We were driving from Tallahassee to Orlando so pretty sure that whole drive was not on non-Verizon towers...
Old 10-23-2019, 06:57 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am told that if the jet pack is on, it’s using data regardless if you are on line or not.
Old 11-29-2019, 07:42 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidrvr View Post

"the spark" ..... what is the "spark"?

"get it in a sim"?

Can you elaborate and provide a link if possible? We would love to find a mobile unlimited data plan that we could use at home on the home network using a MikroTik router (which accepts LTE and will almost auto-configure itself to use it) and be able to take it with us on the road.
Old 11-29-2019, 12:21 PM   #9

I have been experiencing slow speeds on my service more lately. I am almost always on Verizon towers ( I think) since I am mostly in metro areas. I hope this is not a sign of things to come.

Looking for options myself if anyone has ideas lets share them!

Thanks
Mark
NoDents4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 12:56 PM   #10

i switched to the visible plan and system as described in the thread over on the tech forum. so far the visible hotspot has been consistently faster than my verizon post paid plan, in both florida and now in texas. free phone, 40 bucks all in, 40 bucks for the router. no brainer for me.
Old 11-30-2019, 05:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ret60sp View Post
"the spark" ..... what is the "spark"?

"get it in a sim"?

Can you elaborate and provide a link if possible? We would love to find a mobile unlimited data plan that we could use at home on the home network using a MikroTik router (which accepts LTE and will almost auto-configure itself to use it) and be able to take it with us on the road.
I believe he's talking about the ATT system for carplay. The spark converts non partner car systems to accept ATT service. I've heard that if you sign up for spark and use the sim card on another unit, (such as a Peplink) they will cancel your service. I'm not really sure if all that is 100% (or even 80%) correct, but I too would like to know if this can be done. Every time I call ATT or other carriers, the "technician" doesn't have a clue when asking about third party routers and sim cards.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 06:51 AM   #12

Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Brian,

We had the same thing happen to us in Wisconsin a couple of years ago. They shut down our data completely because we were roaming on a tower (service) that didn't have a reciprocal agreement with ATT. After much back and forth we found out that we had used 5 meg of data! we had to wait till we left that campground before we got back on an ATT tower and data was restored. What a crock. Cell phone companies are definitely on the Naughty List.
Johninar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
verizon