RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2012, 09:44 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Very Strange

Went to the motorhome this morning to trouble shoot the generator. Walked around the driver side and low and behold the livingroom slide had tried to open. The locks inside were engaged so actually only the lower portion was out about 2-3 inches but enough to cause concern. I disengaged the slide locks and hoped for the best. It opened with NO problems and upon further exterior inspection found nothing damaged. Now was my biggest concern. Closing it. It came in tight as a drum and nothing seemed like a problem regarding the seals all the way around. WHEW!!! I engaged the locks and now am hoping for the best. I for the life of me have NO idea why this would have happened. You can not believe how many times I looked at that slide before I left. I also should mention that I shut the power from the batteries off everytime before I leave.

Oh by the way, I did troubleshoot the genny and have it running like a top.

Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Sounds like a hydraulic check valve is leaking by pushing the slide out. When hydraulic fluid gets hot it expands. If you have a control valve or check valve leaking by when this happens, all kinds of strange things can happen.

chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:31 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Do you have the Intellitec slide controllers and have to push the IN or OUT button just once?.
I had the same problem on my former 05 Kountry Star when I was parked
within 10 feet of an Amateur Radio operator. My livingroom slide came all the way in,all was pushed out of the way,just lucky.
The Intellitec controllers with the momentary switches are very sensitive
to RF noise that is also generated by your fluoressent lights.
Siggy
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:35 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I also should mention that I shut the power from the batteries off everytime before I leave.

With your battery disconnect switch operated you would think the slide controllers and 12 V motors would be disconnected.
I have never had the occasion to trace out battery supply for slides but I now wonder if they are fed off the chassis battery which would still be active for ECM & TCM memories.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:26 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";1329472][URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/I also should mention that I shut the power from the batteries off everytime before I leave.
I also should mention that I shut the power from the batteries off everytime before I leave.[/URL]

With your battery disconnect switch operated you would think the slide controllers and 12 V motors would be disconnected.
I have never had the occasion to trace out battery supply for slides but I now wonder if they are fed off the chassis battery which would still be active for ECM & TCM memories.
I kind of thought about that but would they just have the livingroom slide on the chassis battery?? The bedroom slide was fine. Regarding a possible radio signal kind of baffles me as well. Both slides operate the same way on the same type of switch but as I mentioned the bedroom slide was fine.

This bring to mind another wierd happening a few weeks back. We've had the motorhome in storage since mid May and I go there to check and run the generator at once every two weeks. Well here about a month ago I open the entry door, and the steps don't come out. Tried to start the genny, DEAD. No 12 volt power at all. Removed the batteries and brought them home. Charged them and took them back. After installing I opened the door, steps come out. GOOD! Well I opened all the basement compartments to see if just maybe a light was on. NOPE! Go inside to see jus maybe I left a light on in there. NOPE! and glanced at the dash and the lights on the radio are dancing all over the place. Now how did the radio get turned on????? I don't even listen to the radio when I'm driving. The volume was not turned up but the radio was on. ?????? Again I have to ask why did the batteries go dead because I turn them off when I leave? I did some checking and did find out that the dash radio operated off the house batteries. All the time I thought the radio would have operated off of the chassis battery. Guess not but the happenings here are very strange to say the least. Well I've rambled enough.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:11 PM   #6

"I did some checking and did find out that the dash radio operated off the house batteries. All the time I thought the radio would have operated off of the chassis battery."

I found that out the hard way as well. Couldn't figure out why every time I took the MH to get some minor things looked at the radio wouldn't work when I left. Couldn't figure out what they were doing to it. I even looked at replacing the current radio. Then out of the blue, just for giggles, I would turn the radio on and it would work again. Then the little light bulb over my head went off, seems that the mechanic would put the batteries in "store" and later I would turn them on to "use" so of course the radio worked. Who would have thought? I always "assumed" (and we all know what that does, lol) that the radio worked on the chassis battery, just like in an auto. Wrong. Live and learn.
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:03 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
Sounds like a hydraulic check valve is leaking by pushing the slide out. When hydraulic fluid gets hot it expands. If you have a control valve or check valve leaking by when this happens, all kinds of strange things can happen.
I don't think (but don't know for sure) that Newmar uses hydraulic rams for their slides. I think they use electric motors for all of them. I know that was the case in 2000 and 2002 as we had new DSDP's in those years.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:01 AM   #8
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Just a note that Newmar uses electric motors and a rack & pinion system of their own design for slides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote