Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2012, 05:41 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Video switch box

I'm thinking of upgrading the video in my 2005 DS but running into problems. I've got the old style Winegard push button video selector that has coax connections. I wanted to get rid of the VCR/DVD combo and put in a BluRay player, but that only has HDMI. I've looked for an updated switch box, but I guess they are using a new system and I can't figure out what it is. Can anyone tell me what the newer coaches are using to change the signal to TV's?
NHSO
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2012, 06:22 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
You could replace the switch box with a stereo receiver that has all the types of connectors on the in side. It would use more power when boon docking though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleychief
I'm thinking of upgrading the video in my 2005 DS but running into problems. I've got the old style Winegard push button video selector that has coax connections. I wanted to get rid of the VCR/DVD combo and put in a BluRay player, but that only has HDMI. I've looked for an updated switch box, but I guess they are using a new system and I can't figure out what it is. Can anyone tell me what the newer coaches are using to change the signal to TV's?
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:12 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
HarleyChief, let me know what your final outcome is. I am also interested. But by the time I do it there will be something new on the market. Technology changes almost daily. Side question....Your name have any special meaning?
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:51 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
DS38 - Sure does, I ride, and I'm a CPO(LSC used to be SKC) in the Navy. I see that you were/are an OSC?

Jeff753 - Not sure how that would work? Would getting one of those allow me to change the input to the different TVs? Also would I be able to watch say cable on one TV and a BluRay on another? So many questions...
NHSO
Old 06-06-2012, 05:03 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Seems like the newer RVs with digital TVs are getting away from the old style video distribution systems. The new way of doing it is to have a splitter/repeater on the output of the Blu-Ray or satellite receiver, with an HDMI cable going to each TV. Then you use the menu on the TV to select which input you want. So Antenna or Cable input for OTA or park cable, HDMI 1 for Blu-Ray, HDMI 2 for Sat. For the main TV you may do the selection from the receiver menu instead. Or the TV may send the audio signal via a digital cable to the receiver, so it's just set to that one input all the time.

joe
Old 06-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Jeff753 - Not sure how that would work? Would getting one of those allow me to change the input to the different TVs? Also would I be able to watch say cable on one TV and a BluRay on another? So many questions...[/QUOTE]

Only two zones without another switch. For example I have a onkyo that has all the inputs I need from analog red/white/yellow to hdmi and everything in between. I have two monitor outputs. The stereo drives the old Bose speakers too. I can select another source for zone two (bedroom). Word of caution though. Zone 2 cannot be a digital (must be analog like red/white/yellow) signal unless you use a digital to analog converter. If you have more than two tvs you limited to two different sources. I run the basement tv off the same source as the living area and us zone two for the bedroom.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:43 PM   #7

AV Receiver

I ditched the video switch box in favor of an AV receiver which has multiple HDMI inputs and 5.1 sound output.

My setup is pretty involved as I ran a lot of RG6 cable, speaker wire, etc. But there are many ways to skin this cat.

For example, there are integrated AV receivers that have built-in BluRay players. There is no lack of choices.

I was able to find a short (~4 in) AV receiver that fit in the available space.

Here's my wiring diagram: MobileMe Gallery
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:58 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Check out eBay, there are about every kind of HDMI, Composite, Component, Coax, switchers, splitters, etc. available. You'll need to map out the ins and outs of your equipment and then you can design (and buy) what you need.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:42 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Wink

Thanks everyone for all the options! TechWriter, thanks for the diagram, now when can you come over and wire mine up
NHSO
Old 06-07-2012, 02:31 AM   #10

I've used these two sites for electronic supplies for years now. Never did me wrong.

Video Balun, Computer Cables, HDMI Cables, LCD Brackets - PI Manufacturing Corp.

Bulk Cable, Network Cables, Audio Video Cables, Cat5E, HDMI Cables, Computer Cables, Networking Cables and Structured Wiring, Fiber Optic and more!

They might help with your project.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:33 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Been thinking on this.

What you need is TWO (or more) Switches, and possibly a splitter.

Swith 1 is the existing winegard, Use it just as it is now to switch RF to all the destinations it goes.. That's what it does best

Switch #2 is an HDMI switch. For this you need one of the following setups.

If you can find a "Multi switch" (like the winegard) go for it.

IF not then if you wish to watch same HD program on all TV's you need a single source switch and a splitter for the TV's. (yes they make HDMI splitters)

IF you do not wish to watch same source on all TV' s then you need splitters for each source and a switch for each TV.

But if you can find a multi-switch linke the winegard RF switch,, That combines all the above functions.

I am guessing here.. But I suspect most video stores, Best Buy, Fry's and such, have such a switch on their TV display wall. (NOTE: in use, not for sale) Perhaps they can help you locate one. (Or get one for you for a fee of course)
Old 06-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
But if you can find a multi-switch linke the winegard RF switch,, That combines all the above functions.
That's called a Matrix Switch in the HDMI world:

2x4 Matrix HDMI® Switch & Splitter

Monoprice is an excellent source for these kinds of items. Very good prices.

joe
Old 06-07-2012, 07:27 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Sweet!!! 4x4 matrix and you can connect via Cat6!! Nice way to upgrade the entire coach. New receiver and 3 flat panels and....

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver

That's called a Matrix Switch in the HDMI world:

2x4 Matrix HDMI® Switch & Splitter

Monoprice is an excellent source for these kinds of items. Very good prices.

joe
Old 06-07-2012, 07:39 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff753 View Post
Sweet!!! 4x4 matrix and you can connect via Cat6!! Nice way to upgrade the entire coach. New receiver and 3 flat panels and....

Jeff
And $300 for the matrix switch and all the ethernet converters is a steal. The only real negative review I saw was for the IR relay part. Getting a different one or using RF remotes would solve that.

joe