RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2020, 06:05 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Vinyl or Acrylic awning?

My 17' Dometic 9100 vinyl awning on my 2014 Newmar Bay Star Sport 2903 needs to be replaced due to delamination.

Looking for feedback on two fronts. . .

1. Replace with Vinyl or Acrylic goods, what is your experience, why did you choose either/or? and,
2. My 2903 has two slides, replace those toppers as well while I'm replacing the main awning?

Thanks in advance for any feedback, or guidance you can share. . .

Kindly,

-Bob

Kunkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2020, 07:57 AM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Bob-

Stone Vos, in Brooksville, FL, sells awnings and toppers in both vinyl and acrylic. Here is a link to a description of the fabrics they sell and their merits.

Bridget Throgmartin is the head honcho at Stone Vos. She suggested we replace our toppers with vinyl, as we are in an area where winter snow and below-freezing temps are common. Our coach stays outside and the first four inches of the toppers are exposed, so that's important. When the awning finally gives out, we'll probably replace it and the window awnings with matching vinyl, although acrylic is an option as these awnings are not exposed to the weather when closed.

The toppers have held up well. They only beef I have is that the "weave" in them retains dirt.

l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 08:02 AM   #3

I just ordered new toppers. The way it was explained to me, (or how I understood) is vinyl is best for toppers and acrylic for the awnings.
Acrylic looks nicer but vinyl may last longer.
For best info, contact Stone Vos in FL.
They claim they are the nations leader in motor coach slide toppers and awnings fabric replacement.
Both their vinyl and acrylic have a 10 year warranty.
352-942-0224 or ingrid@stonevos.com
I am not compensated for this endorsement. I like their product and they are nice people.
Webz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:20 AM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I think it depends on how you camp and where you live. We live out west and see very little rain. When we camp, I put the awning out only when we're sitting under it. Once we're done in the evening, I bring it in. For that reason, I like the look and performance of the acrylic awnings. I never put or leave my awnings out when it rains.

I know a lot of people like to put their awning out when they arrive at a campsite and leave it out until they depart. Many will use them as shelter in the rain. For those, the vinyl is the best bet.

I think you need to decide what type of camper you are and pick the material that suits your needs and camping style.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 04:24 PM   #5

I have had both over the years and prefer acrylic. To me, acrylic just looks a lot better. I've never had a performance or durability issue with it either...and until I got my current unit with the Girard "wind sails" on it, we always left our awning out unless significant weather was coming or forecasted to come in.

With the Girard, we now do the same thing DS Don describes...it's only out when we're under it. Our toppers are matching material, and obviously are out in the weather, but with the covers when pulled in and the fact that my unit is in a shed for most of it's life, that makes a difference as well.

I'd go with what I liked best and what looked the best on my coach even if it didn't quite have the lifespan of something else, but that's just my personal preference.
2016 Chevy Silverado 4x4
NCC-1701A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, vinyl