Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2019, 01:45 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Vista Sun Shade for Electric Patio Awning

The electric Carefree patio awning on my "new to me" 2016 Ventana LE 4037 extends straight out and does not angle down like the manual Dometic awning I had on my previous Damon Astoria 3774. As such, when extended the roller on my new patio awning is ~11 feet above ground meaning use of my existing "manual" sun shade is near impossible (I don't carry a ladder that tall !!).

Shade Pro offers a nice looking, easy to use sun shade designed specifically for electric awnings --> https://www.shadepro.net/product/vis...ic-rv-awnings/

Sun shades for awnings are "essential equipment" for hot August - mid October home football games at LSU (Baton Rouge) to keep the tailgating environment "less hot". Do any Newmar owners have this Shade Pro awning sun shade? If "yes", what is your opinion of how it works with your electric awnings and is the sun shade quality / durability acceptable?

Thanks for the help!
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2019, 01:52 PM   #2

Had a Vista one piece shade on previous two rv's and a two piece on my current one. No issues with any of them. They make a huge difference in comfort under the awing. My SIL & BIL also have a two piece. Neither of us have a Newmar, but we do like the shades.

Durability has been great and the two piece works great with sky awnings.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:00 PM   #3

I just bought and installed a 17' Vista shade from ShadePro for my 2017 Ventana LE. I got the 4' tail due to my helper (DW) is short and I did not want to get a ladder out each time I zip the lower section on and off.

On a side note my Carefree awning is adjustable.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 03:41 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I had the Shade Pro awing on my Diplomat, which had a Carefree awning. It worked well with the section left in the awning slot. I wouldn't go too crazy with the drop down, as you can get too long and have too much material rolling back up in the awning. Since yours is 11' off the ground, you'll probably need a 5' drop to comfortably reach it.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 03:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I had the Shade Pro awing on my Diplomat, which had a Carefree awning. It worked well with the section left in the awning slot. I wouldn't go too crazy with the drop down, as you can get too long and have too much material rolling back up in the awning. Since yours is 11' off the ground, you'll probably need a 5' drop to comfortably reach it.
I think the 4' drop is the longest one. This would make it 10'.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:28 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
vista shade

I have a vista shade on my 2015 Ventana. I don't recall the length of the piece that attaches to the awning roller but I think it's about 3'. My order from vista says 9' drop if that helps. In any case it rolls up fine, and does help block the sun, but also some of the breeze if there is any.

My Carefree awning is also adjustable to provide some "tilt" bringing the outside edge lower to the ground if desired.

I've attempted to attach the manual for my awning. Adjustment info is on page 7.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Adjustable-Travelr-with-DR-Owners-Manual.pdf (654.2 KB, 22 views)
Old 08-14-2019, 10:57 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Our frineds use to have a 2011 Allegro Bus. It had a really nice feature on their awning. Once the awning was extended, it had a shade that extended out of the awning roller. A neat design. I don't know who made that awning.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 05:34 AM   #8

I have a neighbor that has the 4' tail which he uses by itself most of the time to block the sun which also allows any breezes to come in. He uses the deflap awning brackets to tie it down.

After spending 10 days in a site in September facing the West and the hot sun I wanted to make sure I could block it. I carry a fan to create my own breezes.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:09 AM   #9

I purchased a Vista Shade (for electric) for our Bay Star even though we have a manual awning. I wanted to be able to easily unzip the shade and roll up the awning when necessary. Having a manual awning, I had to remove the awning pull strap from the groove where the upper shade piece slides in the roller tube. I simply used a pop rivet to attach the pull strip to the roller tube.

The Vista Shade works very well. I use it with tie downs for my awning and leave the awning tied down unless weather conditions are a concern. I drop the shade and retract my awning when not at the site....I've always been cautious after almost losing an awning when a storm came up very suddenly.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 07:29 AM   #10

When we bought our coach it came with a sun shade attached to the roller. It always seemed to be in the way, so I removed it. It slides in one of the roller slots quite easily. I have carried with us on the 4 month trip in the northwest we are on, but so far have not used it. May use when we get back to Texas.
hewebb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, electric