Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2014, 11:46 AM   #1

Visteon radio replacement

I'm replacing the Visteon radio/CD player with a Kenwood unit in my 2005 Kountry Star. Both units are "double din" size. The Kenwood has many more features like blue tooth, Pandora, etc. that appeal to me. It's clear that the Kenwood is not a direct replacement for the Visteon. The Kenwood unit came with three different trim adapters, none of which appear to be an ideal fit. Has anyone out there done this before? Any advice would be appreciated.

Fred
fsowerby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2014, 03:09 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum Fred.
We do not have to much on radio change outs maybe you will be the first of a few.
In QT's # 3 there is some discussion at bottom of thread about radio's for starters.
You have not said what model it is but the existing radio when removed is the cut out large enough for your new radio.
If the opening needs to be enlarged the plastic dash panel can come out to enlarge the opening.
Looking at dash board its similar to mine and you can remove the screws holding the panel to dash and drop the panel down.
You need to see how much room is at top of dash for clearance for new Kenwood.
Some of their radio's are quite large so you may have to move heat control under dash or the surface below the main dash for extra large radio..
I had a pretty good radio system in my coach and did a few Mods for it and installed a 5.1 surround system you can see in QT's 1 & 2.
Here is a Owners Guide for coach.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:56 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Fred, Nice to hear from you. I just had to replace my lousy fumbling Fujitsu
Eclipse radio 4430 with the TOMTOM GPS,that is detachable. Well,the Tomtom just quit on me ,no display and Tomtom does not offer any service or repair.
I ordered me a Kenwood DPX500BT and like it very much. Had to cut and splice some wires,but the new mounting sleave and radio fit right in and the trim peace looks just like factory.
I had always used a Garmin on top of the dash anyway.
Siggy
If someone needs the old Eclipse Radio with the bad Tomtom,just send me a PM, pay for shipping only.
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio, replace, replacement