Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2019, 02:36 PM   #15

What a great find. Now I can get rid of the POC vmspc.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2019, 02:45 PM   #16
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I downloaded the BlueFire and tried to play with the gauges......I may have been doing something wrong, but didn't find the setup intuitive and tried to change gauge design with no luck.

If the BlueFire does work, and works better, SilverLeaf will need to step up their poor game!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 02:50 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I downloaded the BlueFire and tried to play with the gauges......I may have been doing something wrong, but didn't find the setup intuitive and tried to change gauge design with no luck.

If the BlueFire does work, and works better, SilverLeaf will need to step up their poor game!
Are you using an iOS or android? I have only played with android. Compared to vmspc, I like it better, but I am a software engineer, so that may affect my reasoning.

Once I have setup a gauge dash, I will publish it and see if others can load it and have the same view I do. This was always a goal with vmspc, but it never worked out well for me.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 03:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
Are you using an iOS or android? I have only played with android. Compared to vmspc, I like it better, but I am a software engineer, so that may affect my reasoning.

Once I have setup a gauge dash, I will publish it and see if others can load it and have the same view I do. This was always a goal with vmspc, but it never worked out well for me.
I tried IOS app. Looks and feels primitive. Many of the OBD readers have been developed on Android then ported to IOS. If that is the case some folks might just want to buy a dedicated Android tablet and run the app there.
turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 03:03 PM   #19

Quote:
The 2019 does have many silverleaf components installed from the factory, including an rv-c bus. The dsdp does not have a full silverleaf control, like the higher line coaches do. I am unclear what all the rv-c does in the dsdp.

The vmspc jib is a separate product that interfaces into the j1939 bus (think odb II in a normal vehicle) which is the chassis CAN network interface.

The vmspc jib converts J1939 CAN data to a usb serial port, and is used by the vmspc windows software.

It is the windows software that displays all of the gauge data from the J1939.

The software for vmspc is very buggy, and very finicky. It is common for people to have a dedicated tablet running windows 10 just for this software.

I have been on a mission to replace this software with something that would be better quality and not take up extra dash space.

I was able to get the software to be usable from my android device, but it doesn't remove the need for a windows pc and doesn't fix the clunky nature of the software.

Now with the discovery of this new software and tool, I can finally realize my goal.

The hardware ( https://amzn.to/2RzrXBB ) plugs into the port at the foot well of the driver side and uses bluetooth to transmit the CAN data.

For less than $200, it is the cheapest way to display this data.

You da man! I’d love this, but for now, it’s way over my head. Especially my DS is “vaporware” until next month! LOL
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 03:47 PM   #20
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I run my VMSpc on a laptop using Windows. Whatever I buy/use I want to run on a small laptop, NOT a tablet or a phone. I'm also not a fan of Bluetooth. When there are issues.....you're stuck. Sorry old school guy. I don't want everything in my life running on a phone and then the phone rings.....
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 03:53 PM   #21

VMSPC replacement option

Quote:
and then the phone rings.....

Wait...huh? You mean I’m supposed to use this $1,000 supercomputer iPhone to only make calls?

I think I just blasted that Finch with a 12ga. at 3 feet. [emoji23]

Seriously though, yeah...I don’t like so much being done on my iPhone, that I can’t use it for all the other things; like music, google, texting, YouTube, Allstays, closest brewery...and yeah...and Tapatalk for keeping up with this forum!!
LOLOL
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 04:05 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I run my VMSpc on a laptop using Windows. Whatever I buy/use I want to run on a small laptop, NOT a tablet or a phone. I'm also not a fan of Bluetooth. When there are issues.....you're stuck. Sorry old school guy. I don't want everything in my life running on a phone and then the phone rings.....
That's why I have a dedicated 10.1" android device in the dash. I agree with the phone.

This app will run on windows 10, but alas it is bluetooth. Looks like it wont be for everyone. But I am happy it exists.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 05:33 PM   #23

looks interesting, I will look into it. I have had SilverLeaf for 8 years, some good, some bad exp.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:32 PM   #24

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
Looks very interesting. I have an old iPad gen 2. I wonder if it will work on that. My guess is no since it is only 32bit. This will give VMSpc a reason to put more time in to their program and improve, competition is good.

Looking forward to see what people come up with for dashboards.
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:20 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
You got it!!

I think you need to hang around me so that you can translate my nerd speak more often!
I am awake and paying attention now!
I run VMSair on a dedicated android phone device through wifi. It is easy to use but I have never liked the VMS visual interface and it frequently loses connection until I unplug the 9pin connector and plug it back in.

I am very interested in your progress and if you have success I will likely purchase and test it out on my setup.
I am okay with technology but no expert, I liked the setup screen, looks easy to complete but have NO idea what data it needs populated in those fields.

Keep us posted and give us "semi" techies a guiding hand if you can and together we can build a good alternative to the VMS system.
Thanks
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:44 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaRider View Post
Looks very interesting. I have an old iPad gen 2. I wonder if it will work on that. My guess is no since it is only 32bit. This will give VMSpc a reason to put more time in to their program and improve, competition is good.

Looking forward to see what people come up with for dashboards.
Not sure if this helps, but I loaded it up on my old original iPad Air and works fine - granted no dongle, but the software works.
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:05 PM   #27

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
Not sure if this helps, but I loaded it up on my old original iPad Air and works fine - granted no dongle, but the software works.

Thanks. I have to charge up the old iPad.
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:21 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Will I be able to steer your coach remotely?
No, but Alexa can! lol
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement