Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2019, 12:54 PM   #29

installed the app in an old note 2 and am impressed with the ease of layout. Here's a shot of my prototype for a new glass dash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-01-09 14.50.58.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	231423  
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2019, 01:54 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinfla View Post
installed the app in an old note 2 and am impressed with the ease of layout. Here's a shot of my prototype for a new glass dash.
Looks nice. My bluetooth adapter arrives today, so I can give it a real shot.
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 03:29 PM   #31

I'll be watching
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 03:39 PM   #32

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
@redbaron73, thanks a lot for posting this info. I am very interested in how it works for you. The fact that it's Bluetooth doesn't concern me as I have had a lot of Bluetooth devices without any problems at all. I think it's more that Silverleaf is having problems getting it to work with their system.

While I think the world of Art Renda at Silverleaf, I just think they don't have much of a commitment to the VMSpc programming.

It looks like the BlueFire is all this company does so hopefully it can even be improved, particularly since it's open source.

As you know the VMSpc program has a PID sniffer to search for all available functions that can potentially be monitored, It looks like BlueFire has a PGN sniffer that hopefully you will find does the same thing, and offers some additional functions over what is now included.

Hope all goes well with your testing.

PS - I'm attaching a screenshot of a dial layout I did on my iPad (3rd Gen). I am also working on a text layout on my Win 10 computer, but that is more involved in setting the gauge sizes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iPad Dial Gauge Layout.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	231430  
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:57 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
@redbaron73, thanks a lot for posting this info. I am very interested in how it works for you. The fact that it's Bluetooth doesn't concern me as I have had a lot of Bluetooth devices without any problems at all. I think it's more that Silverleaf is having problems getting it to work with their system.

While I think the world of Art Renda at Silverleaf, I just think they don't have much of a commitment to the VMSpc programming.

It looks like the BlueFire is all this company does so hopefully it can even be improved, particularly since it's open source.

As you know the VMSpc program has a PID sniffer to search for all available functions that can potentially be monitored, It looks like BlueFire has a PGN sniffer that hopefully you will find does the same thing, and offers some additional functions over what is now included.

Hope all goes well with your testing.

PS - I'm attaching a screenshot of a dial layout I did on my iPad (3rd Gen). I am also working on a text layout on my Win 10 computer, but that is more involved in setting the gauge sizes.
will you export your screen so I can try to upload it to my android. I have been wondering how the dash import/export would work.

Also, I have a copy of the source code, and plan on customizing the code base. I do not have an Apple computer to compile it on, but I will be able to compile executable for windows and android.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:09 PM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
will you export your screen so I can try to upload it to my android. I have been wondering how the dash import/export would work.

Also, I have a copy of the source code, and plan on customizing the code base. I do not have an Apple computer to compile it on, but I will be able to compile executable for windows and android.
PM sent regarding exporting the dash layout.

I notice on their website forum that the developer shot down the idea of adding a color feature for the text gauges. Is that something you might be looking at doing?
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:48 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
regarding the source code - I just noticed that it is the API source code, not the full application source code.

Still going to be very useful to have, and will go a long ways towards integrating into my homeseer.

I have connected the controller, and it worked straight out of the box. I have not spent enough time with it yet to form a real opinion, but it is good to know that it works without much effort.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:21 AM   #36

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
You can get a 10% discount by ordering from blue fire website. Coupon code amazon
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:37 AM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Just an FYI, according to their website there are two versions of the dongle - one for Windows/Android and one for iOS devices which is very strange because on Amazon there is only one.

https://bluefire-llc.com/store/9-pin...j1708-adapters

Correction - One will work with iOS and Windows/Android and the other will only work with Windows/Android. The one for sale on Amazon works on all operating systems.
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:45 AM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
Just an FYI, according to their website there are two versions of the dongle - one for Windows/Android and one for iOS devices which is very strange because on Amazon there is only one.

https://bluefire-llc.com/store/9-pin...j1708-adapters

Correction - One will work with iOS and Windows/Android and the other will only work with Windows/Android. The one for sale on Amazon works on all operating systems.
The $10 apple license fee
Old 01-10-2019, 08:47 AM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
The $10 apple license fee
Yup
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:37 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Just got mine. Tried it out parked, everything seamed to work. If you’ve developed a good dash layout be sure to add it to the Blue forum page!
Bargeloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:23 PM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
My adapter should be here tomorrow or Saturday. When I ordered, I talked to the developer for quit a while. I mentioned the option to change gauge colors etc and he was open to the idea, said he would look into it.

I also mentioned the Quartzsite RV show and what a great marketing opportunity it would be. He was not familiar with it. But, after our discussion, he signed up and will have a booth, 623a.

See ya’ll in Q next week, we’ll be there on Wednesday

Dave
Starmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 06:41 AM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The j1939 on my coach (2015 Ventana 4369) is on the firewall at the rear of the coach. For those that have purchased the Bluefire. Is your connector also at the rear of the coach, and is the bluetooth reception / operation reliable if you have a ipad / tablet at the front of the coach? (i.e 40 + feet away)

Tags
ace, replace, replacement