RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2017, 11:27 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Voyager Monitor Screen too Bright at Night

The camera monitor on my Newmar Ventana 3412 is too bright at night and messes with my night vision. I read the owners manual and could not find a dimming option for the display. The day/night settings appear to me to adjust the light gain on the cameras. I can turn down the brightness on the camera but then it's not very useful. I've taken to just turning it off at night (although it still turns on for with the turn signals which is equally annoying).

Is there a way to dim the monitor? If not maybe there's an aftermarket film or something I can put over it?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2017, 12:43 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I think you may be a little hypersensitive. The brightness button is what you adjust. No different than dimming your dash lights. You say that when you turn down the brightness it's not very useful. That is to be expected. Night pictures will always be more grainy and turning down the brightness is going to make that worse. I think you're day/night function is working, but not to what you want it to. Remember, these are not night vision cameras, they're just an average camera that loses clarity at night. They're not designed to read license plates at night, they're there to let you see your toad or who may be behind you when you change lanes.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:21 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Na, I have normal night vision. The screen is definitely too bright. It creates reflections in the cab and windshield.

The night vision on the cameras is surprisingly good. No complaint there. It's just that the screen itself is bright. Not so bad when I look ahead but when I look right it reduces my ability to see stuff.

If I turn down the brightness setting to something comfortable, then it loses too much picture definition.

Quote:
The brightness button is what you adjust. No different than dimming your dash lights.
The Voyager I have does not have a brightness button. It's in a menu setting. Are you saying the same control that dims the dash, dims the Voyager? Hadn't considered that.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:31 PM   #4

Mikeward,
Well, In the event you cannot find a normal way of adjustment of your screen lighting to dim it, may I make a suggestion. I'm not a camera expert or, any form of expert in photography but, I've heard there are colored filters for photography. It's some form of tinted sheeting, in various colors and even just darker clears too. I've not even looked into what I'm suggesting, I just think I've heard of such things.

Then, there's always regular old window tinting that you may be able to get a small piece that can be applied to the screen via "static cling" sort of. That way, it's removable for daytime driving and, for night, you just lay it against the screen. Just something to think of.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:44 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
No....I meant that you dim your dash by rolling a dimmer knob or turn the headlight switch. You're just adjusting the brightness. So by adjusting the brightness on the camera, you'll be dimming it. Maybe you need to play with the contrast.

I believe I have the same screen and have never had an issue. I don't like excessive lighting either.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:01 PM   #6

Scott has the right idea, and here's a solution. It's sold as a static cling sunvisor for aircraft use, but it could be used to dim your monitor screen.

Connecticut Advanced Products

Some local pilot supply shops keep them in stock, or you can order from link above.

Fred
Old 04-13-2017, 08:17 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
@DutchStarDon - I cut back on the contrast as you suggested and that helped considerably. Much improved.

@FredCooper - That's what I was looking for. Thanks!
Old 04-13-2017, 08:37 AM   #8

Photo stuff would Rosco filters. They had ND (Neutral Density) filter sheets and you could cut to fit if the pilot cling type doesn't work out. Rosco available at camera stores (BHPhoto) or stage lighting dealers.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:43 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Not sure about what others are saying, but on our CS the only way to reduce the brightness at night is to do a Menu Kabooky Dance, not real convenient. Turning the dash lights wheel has no, none, zero effect, would be nice to have a easy way.. BTW: On my CS this is only the backup camera, side cameras don't have this issue....
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:02 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Followup: The Sunguard film from Connecticut Advanced Products works. Thanks for the suggestions.

Tags
scr, voyage