Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2020, 08:30 AM   #43

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
How do those testers work? Are you able to check the DEF in the store without removing the seal?
Of course not. You buy the jugs and take them home and test them prior to use. The chance of getting a bad jug is remote. Testing is just good insurance for us paranoid folk.
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2020, 08:05 PM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
I am not knocking Walmart's Super Tech DEF. I have successfully used that product for a couple of years. That is until 3 months ago. I added 5 gallons of Super Tech (containers were sealed) to my 8 gallon DEF tank on my pick up. 15 miles later I threw a code that SCR system was below efficiency standards.

My research indicated that it was likely caused by weak DEF. I drained the DEF tank and refilled with 5 gallons of Peak (local NAPA store had on sale). I reset the code with my scan tool and 7000 miles later the trouble code has not returned.

Moral to the story. Learn to read the date codes on the containers. DEF starts to loose strength after about 6 months. DEF is required to consist of 32.5% pharmaceutical grade urea and 67.5% de-ionized water. If the mixture degrades to less than 25% urea, most truck will throw a code.

Lesson 2. Get a tester like others have said.
blahargoue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 12:20 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahargoue View Post
I am not knocking Walmart's Super Tech DEF. I have successfully used that product for a couple of years. That is until 3 months ago. I added 5 gallons of Super Tech (containers were sealed) to my 8 gallon DEF tank on my pick up. 15 miles later I threw a code that SCR system was below efficiency standards.

My research indicated that it was likely caused by weak DEF. I drained the DEF tank and refilled with 5 gallons of Peak (local NAPA store had on sale). I reset the code with my scan tool and 7000 miles later the trouble code has not returned.

Moral to the story. Learn to read the date codes on the containers. DEF starts to loose strength after about 6 months. DEF is required to consist of 32.5% pharmaceutical grade urea and 67.5% de-ionized water. If the mixture degrades to less than 25% urea, most truck will throw a code.

Lesson 2. Get a tester like others have said.
……..or......just purchase fresh bulk DEF when you fuel up at the truck stop in the first place. Just pointing out a cheaper, more convenient option.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 01:16 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
……..or......just purchase fresh bulk DEF when you fuel up at the truck stop in the first place. Just pointing out a cheaper, more convenient option.

How do you determine the date on the bulk DEF?
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 02:47 PM   #47

Used DEF since we had to

Never a problem and back when it wasn't readily available at every store or station we carried spare jugs in the tool box

Usually once per year we took the battle worn jug out and used it

At that point probably 1.5 years old stored in the tool compartment

Sealed jugs aren't going to change the percentage of pure water versus urea

It is extremely water soluble and sealed with no way for evaporation or condensation nothing changes

Lots of urban legends out there
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 03:46 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milford 47 View Post
Used DEF since we had to

Never a problem and back when it wasn't readily available at every store or station we carried spare jugs in the tool box

Usually once per year we took the battle worn jug out and used it

At that point probably 1.5 years old stored in the tool compartment

Sealed jugs aren't going to change the percentage of pure water versus urea

It is extremely water soluble and sealed with no way for evaporation or condensation nothing changes

Lots of urban legends out there
Every DEF manufacturer/retailer claims a shelf life of 1-2 years. Cummins also says the same ( see below) so I guess they all have been sucked in by your urban legend. If you really want to delve into it, get a copy of ISO 22241-3 as referenced by Cummins....

Q. What is the shelf life of DEF?
A. The shelf life of DEF is a function of ambient storage temperature. DEF will degrade over time
depending on temperature and exposure to sun light. Expectations for shelf life as defined by ISO Spec
22241-3 are the minimum expectations for shelf life when stored at constant temperatures. If stored
between 10 and 90 deg F, shelf life will easily be one year. If the maximum temperature does not exceed
approximately 75 deg F for an extended period of time, the shelf life will be two years.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 07:47 PM   #49

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Good price on DEF

https://www.ruralking.com/terracair-...id-2-5-gallons
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 07:16 AM   #50

I just purchased two jugs of the Tech DEF from my local Wal-Mart. Of the dozen or so jugs on the shelf, only two were fully sealed under the cap. Every jug, except those two, had the white residue spots on them, which IMO indicates that in shipping and handling, some small amount of DEF fluid comes out of the unsealed cap and then dries on the container. I also noticed that at least half of the jugs had no date markings on them at all. Fortunately the two fully sealed jugs had date codes < 6 months old.

I'll continue to buy this DEF, but I will also continue to thoroughly scour through the jugs to be sure they are sealed and date coded.
Old 06-23-2020, 07:24 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-1701A View Post
I just purchased two jugs of the Tech DEF from my local Wal-Mart. Of the dozen or so jugs on the shelf, only two were fully sealed under the cap. Every jug, except those two, had the white residue spots on them, which IMO indicates that in shipping and handling, some small amount of DEF fluid comes out of the unsealed cap and then dries on the container. I also noticed that at least half of the jugs had no date markings on them at all. Fortunately the two fully sealed jugs had date codes < 6 months old.

I'll continue to buy this DEF, but I will also continue to thoroughly scour through the jugs to be sure they are sealed and date coded.

I believe the broken seals are from paranoid shoppers that keep taking the caps off. Walmart needs to put the DEF into locked cabinets like they do with some paint spray cans.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 12:59 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
I believe the broken seals are from paranoid shoppers that keep taking the caps off. Walmart needs to put the DEF into locked cabinets like they do with some paint spray cans.
You make a valid point. I even wondered that myself as I unscrewed tops checking and maybe even doing that "damage." But the two I purchased had the seals VERY solidly attached...in fact when I opened them to pour them in, the "glued on" part of the to partially stayed there attached. So if it's true that unscrewing the tops is doing it, I'd say TECH needs a more consistent attachment process for their seal because it's not working well on a majority of their containers.
Old 06-23-2020, 03:51 PM   #53

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi - I've not had a great deal of trouble with broken seals but I do get upset that many are not getting date codes on the container. It is a requirement as far as I know. On the other hand they do fly off the shelves rather quickly. I just don't buy one that is missing the date code.

Tom
Old 06-24-2020, 12:30 PM   #54

Use 2 DEF spouts end to end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny-shawna View Post
Alot! I average between 6-8 mpg and drive between 15-18,000 miles per year. My most "pita" thing to do is fill the def as for some reason the engineers who have never spent time camping in an rv put the fill on the passenger side only.

I've used the Wall-mart def when I must but even with the spout I still need a funnel as I can't empty the jug.

I prefer to fill at the truck stops and when I find a fairly empty station I pull in backwards or opposite of the truckers so after getting diesel I pull up then fill the def. Obviously this only works when the station isn't too busy.

I usually have to fill via a 2 1/2 gallon gas can that I fill at the pump then top off the def, and I again need a long funnel due to the location of the fill neck.
I put 2 def spouts together end to end and taped the joint to keep it from coming apart. I keep this double spout with the two ends stuck inside each other (a circle) in my peg board compartment. I use this to fill. That way the jug sets on top of the open door of the DEF compartment and the hose reaches the tank. When done I shake out the excess DEF being sure not to get it on the coach or anything else that it can corrode. Works for me...
Old 06-24-2020, 12:52 PM   #55

I usually get mine at MENARDS if not full from truck stops

The only reason I prefer to not use the truck stops is the mess at the pump and having to pull forward

DEF is stable for years if out of the sun and sealed
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 01:01 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Hi - I've not had a great deal of trouble with broken seals but I do get upset that many are not getting date codes on the container. It is a requirement as far as I know. On the other hand they do fly off the shelves rather quickly. I just don't buy one that is missing the date code.

Tom

We don't full time so I just order 6 jugs at a time and get free next day delivery from the warehouse not the store shelves. Everything much better condition.

The last couple deliveries all had date codes and were only about 1 month old. Note the date code is manufacture date.