Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2017, 06:03 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Lightbulb Want a better FM radio antenna?

You already have one and I'm surprised again why Newmar hasn't used it in their A/V config. We all have digital OTA antennas right? That is also your best FM antenna. I'm not sure if there are still FM analog radio stations, if so, then you may be out of luck on those. Most from what I know are digital now.

I've been struggling with getting decent FM reception even at home, something in my coach makes me wonder if it's a nuclear fallout shelter! I've tried several from Terk to a digital antenna on amazon which made me think, I have the razor system on the roof, why not use that?

So I did. I bought a digital coax 1 to 2 splitter and disconnected the cable connection on the front TV. I put that input into the splitter then the 2-out - one to the TV, the other to the coax FM antenna connector on the back of my receiver. And now I get great reception - it works great!

Yes, it was painful working with the coax connector to the front TV without removing the TV but I got it. I fished to coax up through the top of the cabinet behind the TV over and into the A/V box. Used a 90 degree coax connector to connect to the stereo.

If you're struggling with FM reception, give this a try. You've got a powerful digital antenna on your roof, it's there for you to take advantage of.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2017, 06:30 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Great idea Neil. But running any wires inside the coach it is a painful [emoji37] experience. I will be installing a wifi ranger on the roof, and for weeks can not get myself to do it.
Buly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 06:37 PM   #3

Antennas aren't "digital"; they just receive a certain range of frequencies. It's up to the connected receiver to decode the signal on the frequency, whether it's analog or digital.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 06:46 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Great for you...now if someone could figure out a way to get or AM sides to work.
modemem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:54 AM   #5

++++

NealC, you are a saint. After great disappointment with the Sony FM reception and frogging around with the cheap Sony FM antenna, I searched and found your post. Using my Winegard Sensor antenna to feed the Sony receiver works great. In my case I did not even need a splitter. Since I don't have the third (outside)TV, I instead used that 75 ohm coax output from my BOMB and connected to the Sony receiver 75 ohm coax antenna input with a short cable. I then set the BOMB switch for TV3 to "ANT". My BOMB and Sony receiver are in the same cabinet.

Tags
antenna, radio