RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2019, 11:44 AM   #1
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
WARNING: Older coach fire

Here is a post on recent fire in a older , other MFG 2004 coach fire, to bring everyone on board with a Norcold refrigerator in their coach, you can go back into thread to get the particulars of the fire.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2019, 12:12 PM   #2

"007" I'll add this , Norcold fridges are not the only RV fridges that can develop ammonia leaks and pose a fire hazard.

In the past 4 years , in the park where I snowbird , I've helped five fellow RVers , swap out leaking fridges to residential , two Norcold and three Dometic.

KNOW the signs of a RV fridge cooling system that's in trouble AND know what and where to look for the yellow powder that indicates , you need to shut the fridge down and replace it .
Old 04-14-2019, 12:31 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yes your correct, Skip, I included Dometic in this post, back in 2007.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:37 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Cannot speak to Norcold, but when in RV School, Dometic started to build new factory in Mexico City. As part of moving production there and closing IN plant. Redesign of cooling unit, which reduced the steel thickness in the cooling tubes throughout. Just before plant was supposed to go online, a fire gutted the whole thing, back in mid to late 2000's sometime before I went to school in 2010. Never went back to thicker steel, and according to what we were told in school 60% of all rv fires are related to absorption refers. That is why we will never have other than residential ones. They can go bad too, but failure rate I think is less, and ice cream is always cold.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 04:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
"007" I'll add this , Norcold fridges are not the only RV fridges that can develop ammonia leaks and pose a fire hazard.

In the past 4 years , in the park where I snowbird , I've helped five fellow RVers , swap out leaking fridges to residential , two Norcold and three Dometic.

KNOW the signs of a RV fridge cooling system that's in trouble AND know what and where to look for the yellow powder that indicates , you need to shut the fridge down and replace it .
What are the signs that the fridge is in trouble, and where is the yellow powder?
Old 04-14-2019, 04:16 PM   #6

I don't think older coaches or any one thing causes fires. there was a recent post here about a Newmar coach that the Inverter caught fire, thankfully the owner was able to catch it in time to save their lives and their coach.
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 04:33 PM   #7

Hi, Just watched a utube video on a Rink smoke detector system that has multiple extensions. Cost was something like $170 on amazon. Seems like some cheap insurance to me. Engine, 2 in lower bays, and 2 in the coach. I would sleep sounder at night.
mailfored1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:45 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
dmholt === What are the signs that the fridge is in trouble, and where is the yellow powder?

When the cooling tubes rupture the chemicals within the tubes will create a yellow power maybe small at first but full rupture you will notice much more.
Stop using the fridge and change the cooling system or fridge to residential.
All the safe guards will work, you hope, but the real cause cracked tubes still needs to be addressed,ASAP if you still want to use the good Norcold box.
Your fridge if Norcold should be OK and have the safe guards and new cooling system coils , Norcold changed their design of fridge during the 2011-12 years as explained in the thread I wrote in this link, have not heard of any fires since that change.
These members are still using their Norcolds after they did conversion.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:13 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
This thread has many more ways of having a possible fire in coach, look to near bottom for recalls, transfer switch, refrigerators, Oasis heater and other things to look for.

Tags
fire