Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2021, 03:28 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitztrux View Post
Quite possible. However, I would stop quoting delivery dates until I knew for sure.
Which is why Newmar has failed us...they shouldn't be quoting dates until they have material in hand. Doesn't matter if it's Girard, silverleaf, villa, spartan, etc. Newmar needs to own the supply chain timing and not quote dates until they have materials.

If every vendor up the supply chain followed suit then the problem with missed dates goes away.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2021, 03:28 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
I completely agree and am very surprised ANY mfg would quote firm delivery dates for anything until it's physically in their own distribution center- in these times. I wonder if Newmar has been honest with the info they are giving you. That is unless you are dealing with The Girard Group and communicating with them directly.
Sounds like we had similar thoughts at similar time
Old 07-20-2021, 03:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitztrux View Post
Newmar orders parts on a per job (coach) basis. They have no inventory to draw from...
I have been in Supply Chain for one of the largest Fortune 500 Companies for almost three decades...Finance/Accounting before that. I will only say that a company always blaming "the pandemic" is sometimes a cop-out for the business decisions made and/or a very poor supply chain model in terms of planning for and then reacting to crisis situations.

In our company, as soon as we started to see lead times increasing (now sometimes in excess of 1 year for some electrical components) we immediately reassessed desired in-house stock levels in light of how we saw a world-wide pandemic playing out in countries that make up our supply base. While we are holding more inventory than we normally would, and have actually worked with downstream suppliers for them to also follow suit and increase safety stock levels, we are making virtually 100% of our shipments on time in a very, very difficult environment. We still have the vast majority of our incoming inventory on a Just-In-Time basis, but an early analysis of what parts, in our industry, would be of highest risk, and then implementing plans to mitigate the potential shortages, has helped tremendously. Not only does this increase client satisfaction, but it's also a competitive edge that is increasing revenue while competitors are missing revenue opportunities because they cannot promise and ship product per client demands due to their supply chain model and decisions on stock risk.

In general, I would assess the RV industry as something less than a five on a scale of 1-10 (10 being best in class) as far as supply chain capabilities. Not only in terms of delivery and commitments, but in terms of quality as well.
Old 07-20-2021, 03:51 PM   #18

While not relevant to the RV world, a friend is an electronics engineer, and he's getting quotes of anything of 5 weeks to 57 weeks (over a year!) on some components.

Mike
Old 07-20-2021, 06:36 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-1701A View Post
I have been in Supply Chain for one of the largest Fortune 500 Companies for almost three decades...Finance/Accounting before that. I will only say that a company always blaming "the pandemic" is sometimes a cop-out for the business decisions made and/or a very poor supply chain model in terms of planning for and then reacting to crisis situations.

In our company, as soon as we started to see lead times increasing (now sometimes in excess of 1 year for some electrical components) we immediately reassessed desired in-house stock levels in light of how we saw a world-wide pandemic playing out in countries that make up our supply base. While we are holding more inventory than we normally would, and have actually worked with downstream suppliers for them to also follow suit and increase safety stock levels, we are making virtually 100% of our shipments on time in a very, very difficult environment. We still have the vast majority of our incoming inventory on a Just-In-Time basis, but an early analysis of what parts, in our industry, would be of highest risk, and then implementing plans to mitigate the potential shortages, has helped tremendously. Not only does this increase client satisfaction, but it's also a competitive edge that is increasing revenue while competitors are missing revenue opportunities because they cannot promise and ship product per client demands due to their supply chain model and decisions on stock risk.

In general, I would assess the RV industry as something less than a five on a scale of 1-10 (10 being best in class) as far as supply chain capabilities. Not only in terms of delivery and commitments, but in terms of quality as well.
Great comments...
Fitztrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 06:40 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
I completely agree and am very surprised ANY mfg would quote firm delivery dates for anything until it's physically in their own distribution center- in these times. I wonder if Newmar has been honest with the info they are giving you. That is unless you are dealing with The Girard Group and communicating with them directly.
No, dealing with Nappanee. I'm sure they are telling me the truth.

They want to complete the vehicle so they can invoice the dealer and recognize revenue and profit, as soon as possible.
Old 07-20-2021, 06:51 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
Which is why Newmar has failed us...they shouldn't be quoting dates until they have material in hand. Doesn't matter if it's Girard, silverleaf, villa, spartan, etc. Newmar needs to own the supply chain timing and not quote dates until they have materials.

If every vendor up the supply chain followed suit then the problem with missed dates goes away.

Customer: "Yes, Id like to place an order and spend $650K of my hard earned money please"
Newmar: "Sure, lets do the paperwork"
Customer: "Out of curiosity, when might we expect delivery?"
Newmar: "With Supplier status right now, we dont really know. Now, if you could just fill out this line right here ...."

For some reason, I just dont see this as a realistic way to sell something.

J
pilotspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 06:53 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotspike View Post
Customer: "Yes, Id like to place an order and spend $650K of my hard earned money please"
Newmar: "Sure, lets do the paperwork"
Customer: "Out of curiosity, when might we expect delivery?"
Newmar: "With Supplier status right now, we dont really know. Now, if you could just fill out this line right here ...."

J
Yes, just what I was thinking...
Old 07-20-2021, 07:00 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer15015 View Post
Just remember, the last link in your supply chain is China.
So sad, but so true. What ever happed to buy American or Canadian?:
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 07:11 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotspike View Post
Customer Newmar: "Yes, Id like to place an order and spend $650K of my hard earned money please"
Newmar Girard: "Sure, lets do the paperwork"
Customer Newmar: "Out of curiosity, when might we expect delivery?"
Newmar Girard: "With Supplier status right now, we dont really know. Now, if you could just fill out this line right here ...."

J
Hey, I fixed the mistakes you had.
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 11:16 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My dealer had told me not to believe my dates from newmar. I still ordered. I know that the dates are potentially 3 months longer

Maybe I am the odd individual that expect straight honest answers, and can handle the truth.
Old 07-21-2021, 02:47 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
On my ‘21 order, I was given an off line date and told to expect that date to be written in jello. I completely understood the situation and forged ahead. The world is standing on its head. There are very few absolutes and I strongly suspect there are a couple more years of the same ahead.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 04:43 AM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
You’re not alone Newmartians. Late May, just before I ordered our Tiffin DP, I was told (by a dealer) that Tiffin had informed all dealers not to expect production to begin for six months out from the order date. Went ahead with it anyway. I don’t expect to see our DP before January and I am fine with that. I am more concerned about the DEF sensor issue then the delay.
RichdlP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 05:38 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginton View Post
We also ordered a Baystar last Friday, our dealer is saying mid December, barring any material shortages.....
Yikes so your looking into January presuming things don't change which they surely will and are as I write this post. Good to know now though thanks

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warning